Digital Source Component Reviews: First Impressions
Oct 19, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #32 of 54
When !? When ? When are you going to finish and post the reviews. Im DYING to read them!!!

Nov 10, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #33 of 54
Dude, Thanksgiving is in two weeks, please give us the reviews. You're way past building up suspense, this has become cruel.

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #34 of 54
I think you've misunderstood...

...the point isn't that Jude is actually going to POST reviews. See, by always saying he's still in the middle of writing the reviews, he can keep the components and doesn't have to spring for a new source/cable for his own system...
wink.gif
wink.gif

[edit: I am just kidding]

Nov 10, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

COMING LATE SUMMER / EARLY FALL 2002 Digital Source Component Reviews. Included will be individual manufacturer-grouped reviews of the NAD C541i (HDCD/CD), Music Hall MMF CD-25 (HDCD/CD), Arcam Diva CD72T, Bel Canto DAC2 (upsampling DAC), MSB GoldLINK DAC III with P1000 Power Base (upsamping DAC), Creek CD53 Reference, Musical Fidelity A3.2 (upsampling CD player), and the Wadia 861 upsampling CD player/processor.

LIES LIES LIES!!!!!!!

It's 11/09/02 and still nothing
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #36 of 54
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
LIES LIES LIES!!!!!!!

It's 11/09/02 and still nothing
frown.gif

[/size]Sorry guys, but have been involved in legal situations related to work, this on top of my already busy work schedule. I'm doing the best I can, and I am working on them.

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Sorry guys, but have been involved in legal situations related to work, this on top of my already busy work schedule. I'm doing the best I can, and I am working on them.

Hope that clears up for ya. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about the NAD.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Sorry guys, but have been involved in legal situations related to work, this on top of my already busy work schedule. I'm doing the best I can, and I am working on them.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget. Of course those things should come 1st as always.

I hope everything works out for the best for you.

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:05 AM Post #39 of 54
I'm quite curious to know what you'll think of the MF A3.2. Before hearing it, I listened to the Arcam 72 and the NAD. There was no comparison (though I quite liked the Arcam) -- the A3.2 sounds as obscenely rich as it is revealing. I had to talk myself out of handing the salesman my credit card.

Listening to Shostakovich's 8th on an early 90s CD by Rostropovich, I concluded that the A3.2 and the Grado RS-1 were a perfect combination. The string section, which can sound too shrill, was just piercing enough. The sforzandos felt like having your back cracked by an attractive and extremely considerate blonde Russian chiropractor (and yes, the blonde hair is an analogy -- can't you hear it?). And while I can't go so far as to say it was like having said chiro's nipples graze my shoulder blades, I'm sure you get the idea: pronounced but pleasurable.

I'll be interested to find out if anyone else agrees about the A3.2 and the RS-1.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #40 of 54
scrypt,

I don't know about the A3.2/RS-1 combination, but I have listened to the A3.2 using my W100 and the result was uninviting, cold, sterile, pedantic. Just like all those blond Russian chiropractors tend to be. At least the ones I know.

But listen to a CDP that uses the mighty technology of non-oversampling, non-reclocking and non-digital-filtering like the Audio Note CD 2.1x and the auburn-haired, tender, voluptous and refined French courtisane will not only titilate you, no, there's a high likelihood of actual satisfaction.

Scrypt, please try the Audio Note CDPs or DACs before you do anything hasty.

P.S.
Fellow Head-Fier DRCope has been so impressed with the musicality, fluidity and emotional accuracy of the Audio Note's non-oversampling approach in his DAC 1.1x that he actually changed sides. As far as I know, he's now with the company and in charge of Audio Note's marketing in the New England states.

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #41 of 54
Dave is now a dealer. The exclusivity of Audio Note has rubbed on him. His company's name is Triode & Co. .

I myself could not audition the Audio Note'$. It is too expensive but I would agree with Tomcat to try at least the CD2.1x which is a one box cd player. My only beef with this player is that it has a welded tube. You can't tube roll in this player but the tube is supposed to last around 100,000 hours. But anything can happen. There is a review on PFO. Although not a glowing review, what it suggests is that it can sing in the right system.

Another option is the 47Lab Shigaraki which is a non-sampling DAC.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #42 of 54
Tomcat, you hirsute territory-spraying young man with pointy ears capable of kenning special frequencies:

Much as I'd love to audition the redheaded Audio Note that gratified you (well, not that one, specifically, but a relatively untainted specimen), I'm afraid to do so for one simple reason, and here it is: I don't wish to resign myself to indentured servitude simply to purchase a redbook tart, however perfectly proportioned. What's more, a dodderer of my advanced years can't allow the respirator to malfunction due to excess audio joy, if you glean my nudge. Why, I can barely maintain the moxie to type these words. (Has anyone seen my satchel? I seem to have misplaced my artificial gums.)

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
But listen to a CDP that uses the mighty technology of non-oversampling, non-reclocking and non-digital-filtering like the Audio Note CD 2.1x and the auburn-haired, tender, voluptous and refined French courtisane will not only titilate you, no, there's a high likelihood of actual satisfaction.

I beleive Tomcat and I have differing musical preferences but nearly everything he says regarding equipment, the underlying concepts, and the desired musical results I agree with. I didnt get a chance to audition dacs before I picked out the one I picked out, but I spent hundreds of hours researching dac technologies and the differing philosophies behind these technologies all supposidly striving for the same goal: true to life musical reproduction. And well, one school of dac thought just made sense. I think im gonna keep my purchace a secret untill I receive it in the mail and get a chance to listen, but lets just say- nah, im gonna keep it a secret
wink.gif
. There are a few other companies besides Audio Note that go for the non bs method such as Curico, Morgan Audio and Zanden.

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #45 of 54
TC: While joy can be excessive,* it is my grim duty to inform you that excess is not joy. If it were, then overeating would prove the gateway to nirvana and a twelve-hour poetry reading would have its audience dry-humping the chairs with sensual abandon.

That being said, thanks tons for your extremely lucid explanation of the Audio Note DAC's virtues (versus those of devices that use oversampling, which you called blurring) on another thread in this forum. I found it very helpful.

------
*Othello: "It is too much of joy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back