Digital Radio Sources?
Mar 27, 2007 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dr.J

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the idea of headphones, with headphone amps. I understand how these can be useful in a setting where one sits a computer or has an ipod or portable cd-player. However, I enjoy, believe it or not, listening to the radio!

I've been wondering if there's such a thing as broadcast digital radio (not satellite) and if so, is there such a thing as a micro tuner that could be used in conjunction with a headphone pre/amp?

Again, as I've explained, I'm new to this and so if the questions are out to lunch, you know why! lol

thanks,

John

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 9
digital radio isn't in its fruition yet. and still, it would not be worth it to use a headphone amplifier on radio; it's 128kbps at best, which is pretty abysmal. nothing wrong with listening to the radio; just don't waste your money on audiophile equipment for it, seriously, the difference will either be subtle at best, or even worse, you'd hear just how bad radio is.

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 9
I politely disagree with your assessment of radio, TM.

First, I think the OP was discussing HD radio, not satellite-based, like Sirius or XM. If you're interested in a HD receiver, I believe there is just one standalone (aside from car decks, clock radios, etc.) on the market currently, and it is this one:

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/hd-radi...ent-tuner.aspx

I haven't heard one, but Sangean generally makes a decent set. For $200... I'm tempted. I might have to get one sooner or later.

As for standard AM and FM, I don't think many people here know just how good it can be. In my audiophile stack, I listen daily to a circa 1960 H.H. Scott 350B FM tuner. This deck is all tubes and it's multiplex- meaning that it picks up and decodes stereo. I restored it with good parts and the sound is fantastic. I listen to it all the time, and while it isn't quite as good as SACD or LP, good FM is very much worth listening to on audiophile gear.

The big secret is the antenna. Most people don't use a good one and blame it on the radio or the format. It's neither. Radio Shack sells a terrific FM Yagi for about $25. You have to put it outside and run coax inside, but it's worth the trouble for the payoff.

Further, you probably have no idea how good AM sounds on a music station. Again, antennas are a problem, but modern AM tuners are pretty crappy compared to what we used to have. If you're willing to sink $50-$100 into an old Hallicrafters, National or Hammarlund, you'll be stunned by how good AM can sound. Even an old $25 AM tube set from the junk store will give you good sound.

I've been restoring old radios for about 12 years now. That, in turn, got me into amateur radio, which then led to DIY amps, DIY speakers, and hi-fi. The only problem with radio is what they're playing on it. Fortunately, in Los Angeles, there are several excellent stations to listen to. If you have some you love, be sure to check out AM and FM with hi-fi. It can be very rewarding if done right.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Uncle Erik,

thank you for this. I had, in the mid 80's, a dedicated Sony Tuner and it was amazing. I used to record radio programs onto a four track, reel to reel. My new Outlaw 990 Pre/pro has a built in tuner, but the quality of sound doesn't compare to my old Sony tuner, as you can hear interference and background noise (antenna issues, as you site; although the Sony didn’t have this problem). I will definitely look into the antenna upgrade.

And, as you say, that's not a lot of money for a tuner ... will have to look into this; thank you!

John

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I politely disagree with your assessment of radio, TM.

First, I think the OP was discussing HD radio, not satellite-based, like Sirius or XM. If you're interested in a HD receiver, I believe there is just one standalone (aside from car decks, clock radios, etc.) on the market currently, and it is this one:

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/hd-radi...ent-tuner.aspx

I haven't heard one, but Sangean generally makes a decent set. For $200... I'm tempted. I might have to get one sooner or later.

As for standard AM and FM, I don't think many people here know just how good it can be. In my audiophile stack, I listen daily to a circa 1960 H.H. Scott 350B FM tuner. This deck is all tubes and it's multiplex- meaning that it picks up and decodes stereo. I restored it with good parts and the sound is fantastic. I listen to it all the time, and while it isn't quite as good as SACD or LP, good FM is very much worth listening to on audiophile gear.

The big secret is the antenna. Most people don't use a good one and blame it on the radio or the format. It's neither. Radio Shack sells a terrific FM Yagi for about $25. You have to put it outside and run coax inside, but it's worth the trouble for the payoff.

Further, you probably have no idea how good AM sounds on a music station. Again, antennas are a problem, but modern AM tuners are pretty crappy compared to what we used to have. If you're willing to sink $50-$100 into an old Hallicrafters, National or Hammarlund, you'll be stunned by how good AM can sound. Even an old $25 AM tube set from the junk store will give you good sound.

I've been restoring old radios for about 12 years now. That, in turn, got me into amateur radio, which then led to DIY amps, DIY speakers, and hi-fi. The only problem with radio is what they're playing on it. Fortunately, in Los Angeles, there are several excellent stations to listen to. If you have some you love, be sure to check out AM and FM with hi-fi. It can be very rewarding if done right.

when i think of digital radio, i think of radio broadcast with digital signals (eureka 147), not HD radio. i guess that's a bad assumption to make since it's pretty much unknown. and while i agree that FM can sound good as long as the signal isn't weakened by interference, AM has always sounded pretty "underwater" to me. i think the best tuners i've heard are the vintage Quad tuners (super vintage; from the 22 series), and the AM still sounded pretty underwater. it was completely refurb'd and upgraded.

based on your post, i think i will give FM another chance. i'll see what i can whip up with my limited cash flow and report back to you. we have a decent classic rock station here, but two superb jazz/classical stations here. wish me luck.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X 2 - Unless you are in a really bad reception area even a mediocre FM tuner can get good results with a decent aerial. My old man had a cheapo $60 Radio Shack tuner in 1972 and with a roof aerial the results were stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back