Digital-out on Archos JBR 20?
Nov 25, 2003 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
I just picked up an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20. My primary reason for choosing this model is its digital-out for use with an external DAC. I assume it is SPDIF, and requires a mini-to-RCA cable (male-male). So I picked up a cheap mono, mini (1/8")-to-RCA mike cable from Ratshack to try it out. I connected the Archos to my DAC, and....nothing! No synch, no sound. Like it wasn't even there.

I've never had to do anything special to connect any source into the DAC's optical or coax inputs before (standard CD sources).

Is this cable totally wrong?

Nov 25, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
I just picked up an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20. My primary reason for choosing this model is its digital-out for use with an external DAC. I assume it is SPDIF, and requires a mini-to-RCA cable (male-male). So I picked up a cheap mono, mini (1/8")-to-RCA mike cable from Ratshack to try it out. I connected the Archos to my DAC, and....nothing! No synch, no sound. Like it wasn't even there.

I've never had to do anything special to connect any source into the DAC's optical or coax inputs before (standard CD sources).

Is this cable totally wrong?

good question...

all the SPDIF interfaces i've seen had the standard optical connector or that orange RCA type jack. on my computer, i have the SPDIF RCA jack and I run a digital coax cable from there into my home stereo. I don't think a standard copper line work in my instance, and probably not in your either. You probaby need some of different cable, but to find on that teriminates a 3.5mm mini jack might be difficult. Maybe see what it says in the manual?

I've always been a little curious about the Archos digital-out function..

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm not sure if a Mic cable would suffice..

The thing is that the digital cables have much higher frequency requirements.

That's why generally audio RCA won't work but Video will. Because video was built for frequencies compare to SPDIF

Try and ask them if they have any adapters made espically for digital.

Nov 26, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Well thanks to another Head-Fier who pointed me to http://www.funmp3players.com./, the answer was far more simple (we always look for the more complicated answer, don't we?).

Per the advice from that forum, I simply tried the Archos-supplied IC (analog mini-to-dual RCA), using just one of the RCA channels into the DAC. Instant signal synch!

I am so psyched!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back