Digital cable recommendations for under $100
Oct 25, 2001 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 26
Believe me, digital cables do make a difference in sound, as much as ICs.

AC1 has the real deal, the AZ Silver Photon is a tremendous cable
and out performs competitors costing many times its price, including the HT Cyber Platinum/Cyber Silver, HT Cyber copper not in the same class as Silver Photon.

I use AZ Mc2 digital reference cable in main system, definitely go for Silver Photon which you should be able to purchase new for $90 many places.......as always you need to hear cables in your own system, very system dependent.

Oct 25, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Just a FYI, from what I hear, RCAs cannot even provide a true 75 ohm link by design... Thats why BNC exists... ideal thing to do is to move to all BNC which is true 75 ohm.

Though some equipment by design are not 75 ohm; take the ART DI/O for example, it has 100 ohm digital inputs.

Not true. The Canare crimp-on RCA's are TRUE 75 OHM connecters. This has been verified by measurement. You are correct in that many RCA connectors cannot provide true 75 Ohm impedance by design but the Canare's were redesigned to do this.

Here is a nice little web page describing how to easily make nice digital and video cables with the Canare connectors.

Oct 25, 2001 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 26
I'm a believer in the differences between analog cables, but a disbeliever when it comes to digital cables. Read the article about cables and reflections in this month's Stereophile, it will explain why you just plain cannot substitute analog interconnects for digital ones. They have to be properly impedance matched. But as long as you are doing that correctly, I say anything goes, and I use cheapo Hosa digital cables...hmmm...I don't remember paying that much for mine...check in Guitar Center or Mars Music...

I believe MSB Tech and Canare also both make cheaper-than-audiophile-prices digital cables that should be perfectly adequate.

Oct 26, 2001 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 26
In my experience, digital cables do make a difference in the sound and it can be large. I can vouch for the Bolder digital cable. I got one a few months ago and was amazed at how good it was right after installing it with my Art DI/O DAC. I used to own the MSB Link DAC and went through a few digital cables, the best one I owned was a FMS Dataline digital, which retailed for like $300 - I got it used. The Bolder digital cable at least equaled or bettered this cable. It's the best I have owned.

Oct 26, 2001 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

2 Canare True 75 Ohm Crimp-on RCA's - $2.89 each 1 m Canare LV-77s double shielded coax - $2.01 Kicking Some Digital Butt For Under $10 - PRICELESS

I'd agree if you let me borrow your crimpers and canare crimp die, otherwise I'd spend about $150 before I make one cable!

eek.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman

I'd agree if you let me borrow your crimpers and canare crimp die, otherwise I'd spend about $150 before I make one cable!

eek.gif

True enough but you can save a little money by using the partsexpress crimp handle as mentioned Here . Then you can make nice little cables for your friends for $15 and pay for the die and crimp handle in no time
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Then you can make nice little cables for your friends for $15 and pay for the die and crimp handle in no time

Can I take this as a price quote?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back