Different music genre on different cans???
Jun 23, 2007 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Sieg9198

100+ Head-Fier
Just want some opinions and what you guys think about.

Among all these different cans from different companies, they all have their own sound signature. Which type of music do you think sounds best on these different cans??

And one question, any recommendation of cans(AKG, Grado, Sens etc)that sound best with music that are similar to trance or electronica, with lots of complex instrument, in the same time I need it to retain all the great mids of the singer.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Among all these different cans from different companies, they all have their own sound signature. Which type of music do you think sounds best on these different cans??
And one question, any recommendation of cans(AKG, Grado, Sens etc)that sound best with music that are similar to trance or electronica, with lots of complex instrument, in the same time I need it to retain all the great mids of the singer.

I use the SA5000 for rock, jazz and electronic music with no complaints, but I don't think they're very nice for mids centred on singers.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 26
Grado is best with rock.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

I have heard a couple of comments that MS-1 can be tiring since they display too many instruments and there's just too much going on to keep track of!

....I imagine the same thing has been said about other sets of cans as well, but I haven't read it yet.
plainface.gif

My MS-1 and MS2i do a great job of really getting to the emotions hidden in the vocals.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard a couple of comments that MS-1 can be tiring since they display too many instruments and there's just too much going on to keep track of!

....I imagine the same thing has been said about other sets of cans as well, but I haven't read it yet.
plainface.gif

My MS-1 and MS2i do a great job of really getting to the emotions hidden in the vocals.

Ooo, I've considered the MS2i too, but their supra-aural design is a bit....
frown.gif
not that comfortable...

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Ooo, I've considered the MS2i too, but their supra-aural design is a bit....
frown.gif
not that comfortable...

I guess comfort depends on the individual. I honestly consider my MS2i to be the equal of my HD600 in long term comfort. Really! Surprising, huh?

That wasn't always the case however. Although I did get in a fourteen hour marathon right after getting the MS2i last September, it hasn't been until here recently that the bowl pads have begun to seriously settle in and now I can wear them almost without limit.

....not everyone can say that though.
rolleyes.gif

Now here's something that will really get some eyebrows raised.

I use my MS2i/MS-1 about 75/25, and the MS-1 don't quite feel right. Before I got my MS2i I did a test where I added 100gm of mass to the height adjusters of the MS-1 to see if I could handle the extra weight.

....I think I'll put the weight back!
blink.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 26
Imo it depends on your preference..

my friend addicts to rock music but he hates Grado's because of the too much aggressive sound of them.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 26
Grado RS-2 / RS-1 for all of your rock needs (and really anything else) , GS-1000 for classical , jazz, electronic.

For now though I agree MS-2, MS-1, SR-225, RS-2, RS-1, GS-1000,GS-1000,
and of course dont forget about the GS-1000.
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Mmmm, Grado gets quite a lot of love here. How'bout AKG Sens, beyer??

Well; I'm a great fan of my Senns HD600 but they don't quite play to your style of music all that well when compared to the more up-front and more exciting Grado/Alessandros. But there are some models that do! You may want to take a look at the HD595!

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 26
I think Beyer, Grado, & Senn are more recognized for "house sounds".

Here's what I've gathered:

KSC75 - Great with ALL music
Beyer - DT770 for bassheads, others great for classical & electronica
Grado - Rock, perhaps hip hop as well
Senn - Classical & some utility cans like HD555
AKG - Huge range; some more specialized cans, some more utility cans
Sony - MDR-V6 (MDR-7506 is the same can) is also another utility can... and the only Sony headphone that should be purchased.

EDIT: MDR-V6/7506 is the only Sony product that should be purchased -- PERIOD!

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 26
I think the different sounds generally come down to whether you want your music to be "airy & detailed" OR "bright & punchy".

People prolly start with one and then try to move toward a middle ground that they like... but this is prolly more expensive to find an ALL-ENCOMPASING can than to just get a DT770 or DT880 and MS-1 for example, switching when necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back