different headphones for different music
Oct 17, 2002 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
i've noticed that i am beginning to switch headphones for different types of music. i realize that some are geared towards certain genres however, and maybe its just me but, some headphones just sound better with certain recordings.

anyone else feel the same??

opinions???

already i noticed this after getting a pair of DT831's and listening to certain music that i had only listened to with my HD600's. honestly on some recordings i prefer the DT831. and of course on others the HD600.

ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm a big believer in having a few different headphones, open, closed, accurate, bass-heavy, bright, etc., as different ones will definitely be better than others depending on the recording, type of music, and setting in which you use them. Plus just having the variety of different sounds is a lot of fun and makes listening to music all the more enjoyable. And I actually just enjoy comparing the sounds of the different headhpones with the same music -- part of the hobby, I suppose.

Quote:

Originally posted by ray4jc
i've noticed that i am beginning to switch headphones for different types of music. i realize that some are geared towards certain genres however, and maybe its just me but, some headphones just sound better with certain recordings.

anyone else feel the same??

opinions???

ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 15
I go back and forth between the HD600 and the DT931, depending upon the music. Even though I EQ also, I just use that capability for the fine-tuning. It's the phones themselves that are chosen to be the right tool for the job. Even though it will never happen, I'd be disappointed to find a set of cans which do it all. I agree with Steve999; comparing the music through different phones is a fun part of the hobby.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 15
HD600 is usually capable for most of the music..

DT931 's hard hitting bass is really amazing! best for drums..
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 15
I swap headphones so often it's a wonder my ears don't have skid marks.

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
I swap headphones so often it's a wonder my ears don't have skid marks.

LOL ! Now that's funny !

tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 15
While my HD600s are my favorites, they just aren't right for all kinds of music. Sometimes, I've just gotta' reach for my SR325s. Everything sounds good on my ER-4 but they're too analytical for full-time use. I keep going back to the beautiful color of HD600.

Oct 19, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 15
Yup.

Oct 19, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 15
I use a bunch of different cans, but usually for different situations, rather than different music. If a can is deficient on a certain kind of music, but not others, that tells me I've got a system problem somewhere. Time to fix it, rather than blame it on the can. I'm hot happy unless a headphone is equally facile at acoustic harp as well as highly distorted guitars. It's got to be able to handle large scale classical, and a single guitar.

I like the K-1000 a lot, but it still hasn't broken into my top three headphones (R10, W2002, HP-1).

Oct 19, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 15
i seem to be quite monogamous when it comes to headphones. i believe that everyone has a 'perfect can' out there that will suit that person's every need. it's simply a question of finding it.
i don't believe in the 'soul mate' theory in relationships but i do in headphones. i think i recently found my headphone soul mate in the beyer DT 770 pro.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back