Differences between SR80s and MS1s?
Jul 5, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #76 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should take a poll and see how many people have actually heard both.

When I bought the MS-1, I actually came in with an open mind and listened to them extensively (they were my work cans) for a couple of months. I liked them when they were my only can. When I broke out my SR-80s again, I was just blown away by the sound. It took me only 5 minutes to realize that I preferred the more energetic sound of the SR-80s.

F104...I did offer to send you my SR-80s a while back to try out, but you declined.

Polls are interesting. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if 20 or 30 or 40% of the respondents haven't heard all the items being polled. It may balance out somewhat for both sides, but I'm sure folks voicing other people opinions plays a large part in it. But still; when the numbers are like four-to-one or even more, there must be something to it.

...I don't like polls; I normally can't, and won't, vote
frown.gif

I don't believe anyone is questioning your honesty in your opinions about what you're hearing, after all; we hear what we hear and like what we like and that's of course why we're all here having fun and trying to help others find what's best for them too!

I tried the Alessandros because from all that I had heard from here and other places, that MS-1 was a good fit with my speaker system. After trying them I found that to be true. The MS2i fit in even better! So MS-1 and MS2i work great for ME, nobody else, just for ME! But yet from looking at the polls and reading tons of other threads and posts, a lot of other folks seem to like them as well.

Tons of other folks like traditional Grados too. They are reported to be lots more fun and exciting, and yes; more energetic, by their fans. And that's great, choice is the coolest thing we got going here!

And yes; I am curious about the Grado sound. I would love to hear some SR-80 and some SR-325i and some RS-1 and some K701, and some HD650, and a Gilmore Lite and a Woo WA6, and lots and lots of other good things that I will never get to listen to at enough length in a quiet room to appreciate the differences and nuances between all of them, so I guess I just gotta read a lot and use the search key a lot and try to understand all that I can find posted here to try to make some intelligent decisions. It just makes folks go "huh!" when the boat is sailing along smoothly for years and years and something unusual comes along to rock the boat!

...it is fun though; innit!
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #77 of 254
Thank goodness we have head-fi as a place to sell and trade our used phones. At least that way when we find we don't like a particular can we can sell or trade it someone else that will appreciate it more. Or else, we all would have a pile of cans sitting in our closets.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #78 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank goodness we have head-fi as a place to sell and trade our used phones. At least that way when we find we don't like a particular can we can sell or trade it someone else that will appreciate it more. Or else, we all would have a pile of cans sitting in our closets.

Isn't that the truth!

My problem is that I'm a research junkie! I just love to pour over the data and all the opinions and reviews both here and wherever I can find it. I love distilling down the data and trying to get it right the first time. My average research time is approximately six months per purchase, and I've had real good luck doing it that way. All the phones I've bought I use and enjoy immensely! And I use them all everyday! I suspect I'm done buying cans for me, now it's just filling in the rest of the family!......my Wife already stole my KSC75 for her iPod.
frown.gif

But the FS forum is a great thing too! That's what's so much fun about this place. Choice is good, and there's something for everybody!

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #79 of 254
I know, there are too many choices and they all sound different. I can't go to meets so it is hard to find what best suits me. I like my 225's and my sr80's were the first cans that got me hooked on the grado sound. So, I think I should be happy for a while. My 580's seemd to recessed when compared to my grados that is why got rid of those. Thats it for now. No more buying for me or my wife will kill me.
frown.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #80 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the truth!

My problem is that I'm a research junkie! I just love to pour over the data and all the opinions and reviews both here and wherever I can find it. I love distilling down the data and trying to get it right the first time. My average research time is approximately six months per purchase, and I've had real good luck doing it that way. All the phones I've bought I use and enjoy immensely! And I use them all everyday! I suspect I'm done buying cans for me, now it's just filling in the rest of the family!......my Wife already stole my KSC75 for her iPod.
frown.gif

But the FS forum is a great thing too! That's what's so much fun about this place. Choice is good, and there's something for everybody!

No offense, but research is only half of it. The other half is actual lab time. My approach is to use research to narrow it down to a couple of choices and then either find a store and listen to both or purchase both and sell one. I may lose $10 in postage and $20 reselling the headphone, but in the end, that $30 lost is knowledge and experience gained. This is such a wonderful and vast hobby. And my curiosity will not allow me to be content with hearing just one or two sets of headphones.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #81 of 254
Sounds like you are going to spend more money.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #82 of 254
Quote:

No offense, but research is only half of it. The other half is actual lab time. My approach is to use research to narrow it down to a couple of choices and then either find a store and listen to both or purchase both and sell one. I may lose $10 in postage and $20 reselling the headphone, but in the end, that $30 lost is knowledge and experience gained. This is such a wonderful and vast hobby. And my curiosity will not allow me to be content with hearing just one or two sets of headphones.

Absolutely right! A big part of my job was Research AND development! Ah, the weeks and weeks I spent in jet engine test cells trying to protect my hearing while finding out what works and what doesn't! Oh yeah; the hardware is just as important as the design that begins it.

But; what works for me in this hobby.....yeah it's a hobby and not work, but it's still fun! What works for me and is fun too, is just doing lots and lots of research and see if it works. It's worked so far!

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #83 of 254
Quote:

I didn't try the basshead mod with the MS-1s because the 414 pads seem fragile/easy tear. I tried it with the SR-80s....and WOW!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Same here, I love my SR80's with BASSHEAD Tape mod (
basshead.gif
)

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #84 of 254
so i can't get basshead mods to 414 pads? that sucks, i want bass more, though im not a basshead, a little more bass would be sweet i think
basshead.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #87 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i can't get basshead mods to 414 pads? that sucks, i want bass more, though im not a basshead, a little more bass would be sweet i think
basshead.gif

You would have to buy bowls for the basshead tape mod to work correctly.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #88 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stock... are SR80s or MS1s bassier if both have bowls??

Bowls do make 'em bassier, right?

Unless you do the basshead mod by putting tape around the sides, bowls are less bassy than both comfies and flats.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #89 of 254
I just recently got my SR80s and I'm loving every minute of it...I do prefer it over my E3. It must be my ears but I don't find the SR80s harsh at all. I actually prefer a little bit more detail up high and a little less bass but I'm not complaining for the price I paid.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #90 of 254
Interesting. Is that that the same phone up your butt? On your butt I meant.

Anywho. That's good. The more confirmations, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back