Differences between IE80 and XBA-4
Jan 5, 2013 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

flyingfaeces

New Head-Fier
I owned a XBA-3 which got recently stolen and Im wanting a new IEM to replace it for portable use. I use a Denon AH-D2000 at home and would like a IEM with a similar sound signature albeit with more emphasis on the mids and tamed highs. Maybe I should say that I would like a more neutral sounding D2000 but without getting boring?
I am now torn between the Senn IE80 or a XBA-4. I really enjoyed the XBA-3s and wouldnt the XBA-4 sound better with a wider soundstage and enhanced sub-bass (Extra sub woofer BA)?
As for the IE80s it is its "mind-boggling soundstage" that appeals me to this IEM but dont really now about the sound signature.
Which of the IEMs do you guys think will suit me the most?

Here in my country I can get both IEMs for around 230€. I am open to other suggestions as long as the price is under 250€
I appreciate any input you can give me!

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 10
Hello! I can only tell you about XBA-3 & XBA-4. Both are great headphones for insturmental songs. XBA-3 & XBA-4 sound similar just that XBA-4 has fuller and better bass. Some find XBA-3 sound better than XBA-4. Since the improved of these two are coming soon, why not wait for a while? :)

Just my 2 cent :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Hello! I can only tell you about XBA-3 & XBA-4. Both are great headphones for insturmental songs. XBA-3 & XBA-4 sound similar just that XBA-4 has fuller and better bass. Some find XBA-3 sound better than XBA-4. Since the improved of these two are coming soon, why not wait for a while? :)

Just my 2 cent :)

I'm one for the latter. When i auditioned the XBA series, i definitely found the xba3's more enjoyable than the 4's. I found the 4's had too much going on, the 3's had stretching room. Perhaps if Sony had implemented some some crossover, it might've sounded better.
Concerning the re-edition of the new xba series, i thought they were just a re-stylised existing xba series? 

OP, you should really audition the 4's at a Sony store if you can, there's a lot of to-and-fro preferences between the two.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi, I have the sony xba 4, I could hear the sennheiser ie8, but I give you a quick overview of these headphones, their signature sound is warm and sweet, the first time that I heard from my phone, I found a little disappointing if the sound was above average, but nothing impressive, the mids are clear and crisp, high are strong and good, but the bass is not as strong, sometimes weak and thin, despite having a "Tweeter" and "Super Woofer" (well it says in his specifications)

Then I decided to connect to the computer, another disappointment, although I have an integrated audio card (Realtek ALC 888) sound despite very clearly not impressed me, especially because of its high price range, around 300 usd (well I buy them at a store in Mexico called "liverpool", were on offer about 150 usd)

Contrary to the logic of the impedance of these headphones, (8 ohms, which in theory cheap player could handle without problem) the first time you connect to a good amp, JUST ¡¡OH MY GOD!! these things really are alive, if the bass starts hitting, is robust, clear and accurate at least for me, is a pretty big change that I believe not only affects the bass, the sound is more lively and bright.

Soundstage is very good as 3d, instrument separation is excellent with 0 sibilant, in some reviews on the web did not use even an amplifier and therefore have bad scores.
It is up to this moment where I think these headphones are worth every penny of the cost, but not everything is perfect, the sound signature makes them ideal for classical music, acoustic, jazz, soft pop, and relaxing music in general, but with other musical styles such as heavy metal or heavy music come to sound harsh in some cases, a little congested and metallic, like listening test "Brain Damage" to the "The Flaming Lips" suffer a little to separate the "cake" of music and the result is not the better. Also in certain types of songs is a bit annoying as much "clarity", as an example, some shrill voices, but they are generally a great headphones, costruccion quality is the same as in the "xba 3"

Please excuse my bad English, but often use the translator, and remember that if you decide on these plug them into a good amp.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 10
I appreciate all the input you are all giving me here but I dont have a place to demo neither iems where I live. I did try the XBA 4 when I bought the XBA 3 at the airport and remember the 4s having a wider and incredibly detailed sound stage compared to the 3s. I also remember the 4s having a little too much bass to my likeing and the trebel sounding harsh in certain songs. The 4 armature version also seemed to have smoother mids?
So how is it compared to the IE80?

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Hmmm...not sure if it's a clear comparison between Ie800 & IE80. But I tried IE800. The micro driver are impressive! It's sooo small and lightweight! As for sound, soundstage are good & so do details. These are not for basshead it has less bass than SRH-440. It's very thin but thats why it has precious soundstage & details. All and all, I find these are extremly bright for my taste. Next, I tried the UE900 & I was totally surprised in how awesome it sound! Direct comparison to XBA-4, the UE900 sound way much clearer & better overall. Cables are however weird...

Just my 2cent. Hope it helps :)

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 10
The 4 armature version also seemed to have smoother mids?

No, the mids in xba 4 are a bit metallic and crisp, i don't know if not help you in your search but check this link
"http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_SENNHEISERIE8"

And as you said BillsonChang007, Ue 900 surely sound much better than these two, but I think that exceed your budget of 250 €

Users who are viewing this thread

Back