Differences between IE-7 & IE-8 and a comparison to PFE??
Feb 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mark,
May I ask how the IE-7 compare to the Custom 3?

walkingman,
May I ask how the IE-8 compare to the Custom 3?

Thank you all
biggrin.gif

7's are better.

isolation wise the customs win easily, highs, the 7 wins, just feel more natural and more evident, was a bit disappointed in the highs on the 3. mids both are actually really good on the mids and i have to give that one to the 3's, there isnt many songs but there is a couple of songs that are very sibilant at highish volume on the 7 and it really kills when the ipod plays those song, very few and far between though. lows, i prefer the 7 ore impact full and goes away better when its not wanted where it feels like the bass on the 3 is just always there. its very good bass but then so is that on the 7 and i just prefer the bass on the 7.

fit wise custom 3's are absolutely fine, zero probs. 7 till i modded some olive and then found the current bi flanges i was really thinking about selling the things as i just was not getting a good seal or a comfortable one.

oh and the cable on the 7 is much much better than the one on the 3

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 44
So many questions answered in this thread. I listened to the IE7s in a meet and I loved them. I was considering spending a little more on the IE8s, but decided to save $$ and get the IE7s. Seems like the feedback on them is good, so that's reassuring.

I just love head-fi. It has the answers to everything... well, almost everything!

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's a good question

no they dont. Plus I have not yet seen Sennheiser selling the cables.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 44
Are the vents on the IE7 really open or just plastic decoration? I'd like to run with them but worry about sweat leaking in through the vents.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 44
On the contrary, some of my best listening sessions are done while running, especially if there is 15" of snow outside and I am stuck on a treadmill!

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #24 of 44
So what is the best deal on the IE7 that people have found?

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #25 of 44
People also need to remember the MSRPs of these phones:

IE8: $449 on Amazon
IE7: $250 on Amazon
PFE: $139 from Audeo (Black, no Mic)

The fact that the PFEs are being mentioned in the same breath as the IE8/IE7 is just crazy in my opinion given the price difference. We need to remind ourselves that the PFEs are an incredible value...and from what I have read...offer better isolation and comfort than the Sennheisers.

But I am biased.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #26 of 44
Many people have got the IE8 for around $240, which is a steal! And yes, for $139 (I paid $124 with a coupon code) for the PFE, they are a steal also. Depends upon how much you can/want to spend.

I returned my PFEs because the IE8 sounded better in every way to me, but then I was willing to spend an extra $100 on the IE8s. Actually, after hearing the burned in IE8s I would have had to starve for a while if I couldn't afford them
biggrin.gif
But then I wouldn't have purchased them in that case.

But don't get me wrong, the PFEs are excellent and I would have been very happy with them had I not ordered the IE8s before I purchased and received the PFEs. There were times (before the IE8 was fully burned in) it was hard to tell the difference between the 2.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #27 of 44
Hello guys,

I'm wondering if you can help me out
smily_headphones1.gif

I have one question, should i go to IE 8 straightly? Or save the money and go to IE 7?
I mean, is IE 8 really cost those extra 90 - 120 $ ?
Will i regret later that i bought not IE 8 ?
L3000.gif

thanks

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir_F1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys,

I'm wondering if you can help me out
smily_headphones1.gif

I have one question, should i go to IE 8 straightly? Or save the money and go to IE 7?
I mean, is IE 8 really cost those extra 90 - 120 $ ?
Will i regret later that i bought not IE 8 ?
L3000.gif

thanks

Check out:
Sennheiser IE8 Appreciation Thread - this post
Questions about Sennheiser IE6/7 and fit

I would have regretted getting the IE-7 instead of the IE8. Ask Mark2410 what he would do if he had it all to do over again (I don't know what his answer will be)!

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #29 of 44
average_joe
thanks, this post helped me a lot
wink_face.gif

I guess it's just a matter of time and money now
smily_headphones1.gif
I think i'll go for IE 8.
ksc75smile.gif

And one more question.
Quote:

IE6 is the lightest, smallest and has the most simple shape of the three and thus sealed and stayed in my ear canals just about as well as a pair of Senn CX300 or other regular canalphones. IE8 is significantly larger than IE6, much heavier and has this weird shape, so it didn't fit my ears anywhere near as well as IE6, with the seal breaking very often, even during slight movements of the head and face.

Do you have any trouble with seal? Or maybe shape of phones create some inconviniences?

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #30 of 44
I have the IE6's, the seal should be similar to the IE7-8 since they use the same tips, but the 6's are lighter and smaller so they have that advantage, anyway fwiw I had a little more trouble getting a seal than on my e2c's, but once I got the hang of it, it's not an issue... Plus many different tips can fit over the nozzle, right now I go from the standard medium sized double flange, to the tapered double flange from Ultimate Ears... They don't go into your ears as far as something like the Shure's, but I have found with the UE tips (since they extend a bit more than the stock ones) that if I press rather firmly and at just the right angle I can actually get the smaller flange into my ear canal, similar to how the Shure's fit. The nozzles have a nice lip so you don't have to worry to much about the tips falling off either.

Like Mark2410 said, the cable (which I believe is the same as all the IE range) is great. At first I thought it was going to be an issue compared to the thickness of the Shure's I was coming from, but they are very strong, don't have memory that I can tell, have no microphonics, and I don't have any issue with tangling.

The only weird thing is that all the cables for the IE's do not have gold plated tips... Don't know if this even makes a dif, but just noticed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back