Differences between IE-7 & IE-8 and a comparison to PFE??
Feb 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

joincoolkidclub

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been perusing many threads trying to find a replacement for my (personally) underwhelming NE-7m's which are moving into the possession of my brother.
I was having a difficult time finding information on the Sennheiser IE-7 (everyone seems to go straight for the 8's) but surmised the following as differences between the two:
7's have:
-less bass (or comparable to the lowest setting on the 8's)
-slightly smaller soundstage
-and cost a lot less
I had narrowed down my choices to the PFE and the IE-8 but decided to go with the PFE before discovering a less expensive Sennheiser.
The PFE and the IE-7 sound, from what I've read, to be similar but the 7's have a larger sound stage and a somewhat darker (less fatiguing?) sound signature.
Anyone who has listened to any/either of these phones- what are your thoughts?
*I originally intended to add this to Avg. Joe's PFE vs. IE8 thread, but that has been defunct for some time now.*

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 44
i havent, not yet, im avoiding hearing the IE8 untill i have the cash there to buy them if i like them, still not shure if i actually want them after there was a reason i went for the IE7 and not them.

pfe i hear good things about but i feel its too new to get rational judgements but those who've heard it do love it, atros not heard but ment to be all about the bass. monsters again getting great reviews but very new again so personally i a bit sceptical of v new stuff.

but frankly given ive heard the pfe compared to the er4 i think it totally redundant to compare them to things like the IE7 and 8 as the er4 and IE are utterly different beasts

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i havent, not yet, im avoiding hearing the IE8 untill i have the cash there to buy them if i like them, still not shure if i actually want them after there was a reason i went for the IE7 and not them.

pfe i hear good things about but i feel its too new to get rational judgements but those who've heard it do love it, atros not heard but ment to be all about the bass. monsters again getting great reviews but very new again so personally i a bit sceptical of v new stuff.

but frankly given ive heard the pfe compared to the er4 i think it totally redundant to compare them to things like the IE7 and 8 as the er4 and IE are utterly different beasts

The PFE sounds like the ER-4 regarding detail, sparkly highs, and clarity, but has much better bass extension. I'd even go as far as to say that the PFE is the accurate bass king of inexpensive IEMs. And maybe even the inexpensive king overall.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 44
Only one thing missing from Joe's otherwise excellent review/comparo. He never listened to the PFEs with a decent amp. I believe he used the Icon Mobile, which to me was a lousy match with the PFEs (no real bass help, as the IM is really bright, which is the last thing the PFEs need).

If the OP is considering using an amp, then the PFEs become an even better IEM, especially when mated with the iBasso T4, a tiny but powerful amp that really extends the PFE bass even more, without messing with the crystal clear details, highs and mids.

I realize the PFEs are new and all that, but they are no FOTM, trust me. Several pretty experienced Head-Fi'ers have had them for a couple of months, and really like them. Are they on the same level as the IE8s or the W3s, etc., which cost 2X or 3X as much? Maybe not, but maybe so under certain conditions. I can say that when I hook up the PFEs to the T4 using the Touch 2G LOD, no other in-ear headphone that I have ever owned (including the ER4P/S, the Atrio, the Sleek SA6, and several other mid-range IEMs) has ever sounded as good. They continue to blow me away when used in that combo.

Without an amp, they are still excellent phones, but not on the same level as the higher priced phones, which do not really need an amp to shine. In my view, the T4/PFE combo is as good as it gets for around $250-$275.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 44
i have heard IE8 and bought IE7 for some reasons:

1. Cheaper, yet an impressive sound.
2. Better isolation with some sacrifice of soundstage..but yet best soundstage after IE8.
3. More neutral sounding ... whereas IE8..does some frequencies very good ..and some poor...its bass is too powerful..i dont like it..it drains out the strum feel of guitar and other such instruments for me.
especially on tracks like Hotel California...and also other Eagles tracks from the Long Road out of Eden album.

4. No Bass knob on IE7...Bass knob is a knob..which means i ll have a tendency to keep fiddling with it and not enjoy my music..so thanks ..no need...bass is too powerful on minimum anyway.

whereas on IE7...bass is powerful..but yet tamed...the midrange is smooth, instruments like Guitar sound so good...although vocals sound slightly better on IE8..there's more texture in them
...the highs are clearly present in IE7 but do not sparkle much until u burn in them..all improve with burn in...it needs around 100 hours of burn in before its judged.

even Sennheiser has marketed IE7 as the 'Neutral' IEM of the 3 in IE series.

thats all for now..in a hurry..if u have any question i ll answer tomorrow.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 44
IE 8's bass at minimum is very tame now after a combination of 100 hours burn-in/listening. I find isolation to be acceptable once music kicks in. I listen at 14/30 volume on my Walkman while commuting on the Tube.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 44
Thanks everyone for your responses.
The only reason I thought to compare the IE-7 and the PFE is that, from what I've read, the two seem to exemplify many similar characteristics: balance, large soundstage (for IEM), excellent clarity and imaging, and fun, non-fatiguing signatures. Perhaps the Senn is darker or more veiled, but if it has less bass to cover up the rest of the frequency (compared to IE8), it seems like it should be on par with PFE. Plus it has a larger soundstage and, perhaps, a less natural (but more pleasing) bass extension. And it costs 35$ more.
Is it worth it?
With the Phonak return policy I am VERY tempted to get the 7's and the PFE and return the PFE or sell the Senns based on preference.
I just figured it made good sense to hear from those that have owned both/either.
Thanks and please continue the discussion!
NICK

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 44
It depends - what do you value more, a midbass hump or sparkling highs?

And the PFE has good soundstage for an armature IEM. The IE7 stage is probably larger.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 44
mark,
May I ask how the IE-7 compare to the Custom 3?

walkingman,
May I ask how the IE-8 compare to the Custom 3?

Thank you all
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only one thing missing from Joe's otherwise excellent review/comparo. He never listened to the PFEs with a decent amp. I believe he used the Icon Mobile, which to me was a lousy match with the PFEs (no real bass help, as the IM is really bright, which is the last thing the PFEs need).

Yea, my sound card sounds better than the Icon Mobile, but the Icon Mobile via USB is less bright, more balanced except for the low bass doesn't have the weight of my other sources.

I would like to try the PFEs with an amp that is a better fit, but don't want to bad enough to buy again
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back