Differences between Grado SR225, RS2 or Alessandro MS pro?
Oct 26, 2008 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

knopi

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I sold my SR225 and it was the bigest mistake what I have ever done
frown.gif
. I tried HD650 and K701 they are also great headphones but the Senn's are a little heavy bass and AKG a little shine. probably I'm lover Grado it is so intimate sound, fun and I feel sound is so real for my type of music. Truth is they are not so hard to driven like Senn's or AKG but I definitely want just Grado.

I wanted RS1 but they are so expensive in europe, RS2 is in my budget, Alessandro MS pro is easy to buy from USA shiping worldwide, they don't have monopols like Grado
frown.gif

I'm interesting about differences between the Grado models and Alessandro MS pro. I quest more darker sound then SR225 with better soundstage I think it could be RS2, what do you think you? RS1 offer better soundstage or is it similar to RS2?

MHDT Constantine+ DAC will enough for Grado or only right ampfilier will do Grado warm and give them more open, control sound with more powerful bass? My budget for new ampfilier is 600$, I will be happy for recommendation, I don't know which ampfilier is great with Grado synergy. The Raptor seems to be great but it is only my dream
popcorn.gif
I'm student my budget is limited.

Thanks

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 13
If you are truly a Grado fan, no doubt there will be a RS-1 in your future. Perhaps now is the time to pick up a used one from the "for sale" threads? A used RS-1 isn't much more than a new Rs-2 here.

kontai's review coupled with other info helped me to buy the RS-1. Depends what you're looking for. You and I have both owned the 225s. Nice cans and a ton of value for the $$$. But the RS-2 and RS-1 are clearly a worthwhile step up.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are truly a Grado fan, no doubt there will be a RS-1 in your future. Perhaps now is the time to pick up a used one from the "for sale" threads? A used RS-1 isn't much more than a new Rs-2 here.

I want new version RS1 or RS2 and on the sale threads are mostly old version but I will watch the thread and maybe I will have luck.

I want this version with dark mohagany and clear grille, so beautiful

I read that RS2 has darker sound then RS1, is it truth? Becose I searching a little darker sound then SR225. It will very hard to decide between RS and MS pro from what I read MS pro has different character sound maybe it is risk with Alessandro, I listen the most metal and good older music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kontai's review coupled with other info helped me to buy the RS-1. Depends what you're looking for. You and I have both owned the 225s. Nice cans and a ton of value for the $$$. But the RS-2 and RS-1 are clearly a worthwhile step up.

I hope too that it will worthwhile step up
smile.gif

Thanks kontai for nice review

Another opinions from Grado experts are welcome

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 13
Go buttonless RS2, the buttonless RS1 will be brighter than the SR225's. The RS1's are better when you disassemble the sound into pieces like more neutral bass, more detailed imaging, better audible ambience (more than lifelike) and overall better analysis. Then you take the RS2's, and it's like being there, without further research for good and bad things. I guess they just reproduce ambience more accurately, especially on live recordings.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 13
RS2 walks SR225 over, especially with acoustic music. MS PRO are neutral and very polite to your ears. Also found them to be a bit distant, while SR225 and RS2 quite upfront sounding one. You can forget about the soundstage, cos all of them doesn't have one, however can be wrong about RS2 and MS PRO, but even then it wouldn't be that big, depends on your source, just guessing. To me, RS2 is the one you may buy, cos for USD 699 that MS PRO are, I would push and go for used GS1000 any day.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks to all
smile.gif

Probably RS2

What ampfilier is acceptable for Grado?
I dont know many options for example: Gilmore Lite, Graham Slee Novo, Corda Cantate, Woo WA6 , Rudistor NX-03, Eddie Current ECSS, K.I.C.A.S, Keces DA-152 .....other? Or DAC MHDT Constantine+ will be enough?
Raptor is expensive, how much is it Trafomatic Experience HEAD ONE (I can't find it, around 700-900$ but I'm not sure)?

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the Audio Technicas? If you want Grados with more soundstage the AD900 and AD2000 are worth considering.

Unfortunately no but I have always thought about AD900/AD1000, problem is I'm afraid a little big construction A-T's

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 13
Go tubes, imo. Woo is a very nice choice, at least what people are saying up here, must be good. Also EC/SS was made with Grado in mind, so maybe worth to try as well.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by knopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to all
smile.gif

What ampfilier is acceptable for Grado?
I dont know many options for example: Gilmore Lite, Graham Slee Novo, Corda Cantate, Woo WA6 , Rudistor NX-03, Eddie Current ECSS, K.I.C.A.S, Keces DA-152 .....other? Or DAC MHDT Constantine+ will be enough?
Raptor is expensive, how much is it Trafomatic Experience HEAD ONE (I can't find it, around 700-900$ but I'm not sure)?

you left out the mapletree ear+HD, which is one of the top amps for grados. i use one and love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back