Differences between ESW9 and ESW9A?
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking at buying some ESW9s, and I was perusing the audio technica site, when I noticed the cans there are listed as the ESW9A. Is this a product update, or is the A simply left off most of the time when the phone is referenced?

They (the ESW9 from audiocubes and the ESW9A from Audio Technica) have the same specs, but I am wondering whether it is possible that they changed housing wood or cables or tweaked the drivers or something before I buy. I sent an email to Audio Technica but I thought I'd see what people here knew.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 7
From what I can gather, the ESW9 is made from Japanese hokkaido cherry wood and is the older version. I do not think they manufacture these anymore. The ESW9A is made from African pollock and it is now the model that they currently manufacture.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I can gather, the ESW9 is made from Japanese hokkaido cherry wood and is the older version. I do not think they manufacture these anymore. The ESW9A is made from African pollock and it is now the model that they currently manufacture.

ESW9 was always Padauk, the ESW10 uses cherry.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 7
^No... not from what i see

Audio-Technica ( S.E.A) Pte Ltd - ATH-ESW9

Quote:

Audio-Technica's all new 2007 flagship portable headphones with the wooden earcup housing made from Japan's finest Hokkaido cherry tree.

Headphones: Audio Technica's ATH-ESW9 Cans Give You Wood

Quote:

The ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones, by Audio Technica, are constructed from the finest of fine, Japanese Hokkaido cherry tree wood.

Audio Technica unveils ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones - Engadget

Quote:

Audio Technica's no stranger to high-end cans, and we must say, its flagship set for 2007 (its words, not ours) looks mighty sexy. The ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones are crafted from "Japan's finest Hokkaido cherry tree," feature 42-millimeter neodymium magnet drivers with fiberglass housing support, and come bundled with a carrying case to keep these beauties clean when not in use.

Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9-Sovereign-Wood | iTech News Net - Gadget News and Reviews

Quote:

Audio Technica shows us the new ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones, which are made of Japan’s finest Hokkaido cherry tree.

Audio-Technica launches latest Sovereign Wooden Headphones: the ATH-ESW9

Quote:

Distinguished by its solid wood chassis made from Japanese Hokkaido cherry tree, the ESW9 renders superior sound quality with beautiful, warm tones.

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones

Quote:

These headphones are crafted from Japan’s finest Hokkaido cherry tree.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒI[ƒfƒBƒIƒeƒNƒjƒJbˆê”Ê»•ibATH-ESW9
アフリカンパドック is African Padauk.

Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒI[ƒfƒBƒIƒeƒNƒjƒJbˆê”Ê»•ibATH-ESW10JPN
ブラックチェリー is Black Cherry.

Now if you want to trust some trigger-happy news sites who don't know their wood over the AT sites, you're on your own.

Hey Fungi, long time no see.

Anyways, I'm just dropping by to mention that apart from the trigger-happy news sites that EraserXIV linked, he also linked this.

Audio-Technica ( S.E.A) Pte Ltd - ATH-ESW9

The official English Singapore AT site also says that the ATH-ESW9 uses wood from "Japan's finest Hokkaido cherry tree."

But then again, the official Japanese AT site states that the ATH-ESW9 is indeed "「アフリカンパドック」" so now I'm completely confused.

Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒI[ƒfƒBƒIƒeƒNƒjƒJbˆê”Ê»•ibATH-ESW9

Does the wood used for the ATH-ESW9(A) vary from region to region, or did someone mess up?

I don't know what to believe anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back