Difference in SQ Between the Bose QC2 and QC15? Worth Upgrading?
Dec 9, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #16 of 35
QC 15 is really good imo as active noise canceling headphone, problem is they're a bit expensive for masses. Another thing is that (I think) their QC headphones are not musical; pilots and battle tank crews are the only ones who will ever appreciate bose cans due to high voice intelligibility (communications) and comfort.

btw I think bose sells their products at hi price because they want us to fund R&D of bose active suspension system. Based on what I read, the Bose active suspension project started 20 years ago; it was a secret project until it was declassified in 2004. That project was such a money pit that even Bose's bean-counters tried to convince Dr. Bose and his engineers to stop the project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNlJ8OGTfNU

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QC 15 is really good imo as active noise canceling headphone, problem is they're a bit expensive for masses. Another thing is that (I think) their QC headphones are not musical; pilots and battle tank crews are the only ones who will ever appreciate bose cans due to high voice intelligibility (communications) and comfort.

btw I think bose sells their products at hi price because they want us to fund R&D of bose active suspension system. Based on what I read, the Bose active suspension project started 20 years ago; it was a secret project until it was declassified in 2004. That project was such a money pit that even Bose's bean-counters tried to convince Dr. Bose and his engineers to stop the project.

YouTube - Bose Suspension

Quite interesting. I wasn't aware of Bose's extension into those other areas. Having grown up with McIntosh, Klipsch, and Bose 901 series speakers in the house, I always appreciated the warm sound of both the Klipsch and Bose speakers. That's probably why my view of Bose isn't as critical as others I've read, and why I recently chose to purchase Klipsch's Image S4 IEMs. Since the QC2s were given to me as a gift, I'd have to ask myself whether I would be willing to pay $300 for a pair of headphones substantially like them. Mine are still in pristine condition which is why I posted a question about whether the QC15s were improved to the extent that an upgrade would be warranted. I do think $300 is too much for these headphones, but should mine ever need replacing, I'm not sure I'd be willing to actually pay that amount to obtain another pair. Bottom line: they're a great value as a gift.
atsmile.gif

BTW, what the heck was that drawing all about a a few posts up?
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 35
Honestly, even at the Noise cancelling headphones category, they are bettered on Price/performance ratio by few offerings, like the Audio Technica Quietpoint ANC7 and the Denon NC732, latter of which I personally owned for few months and enjoyed a lot (before I sold it because I simply didn't have too much need for noise cancellation).

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, even at the Noise cancelling headphones category, they are bettered on Price/performance ratio by few offerings, like the Audio Technica Quietpoint ANC7 and the Denon NC732, latter of which I personally owned for few months and enjoyed a lot (before I sold it because I simply didn't have too much need for noise cancellation).

Since I'm new to the headphones realm, are the headphones you mentioned above considered to be audiophile grade?

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #21 of 35
I doubt if anyone here call any active noise cancellation headphones audiophile. The Audio Technicas do sound good though. And unlike Bose, they work without the noise cancellation on, so when the batteries die and you're in a quiet environment, you can listen to music.

I've not heard the Denon. If I remember correctly, when the TOL Sennheisers came out, it was stated that they use the HD555 drivers.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 35
Bose offer's a one year warranty and it has never let me down. Every time my in-ear Bose headsets breaks by accident or intentionally I can just go to the Bose store and they would give me a brand new one without checking the damage. Only thing I really like about Bose and its pretty convenient for me since their store is a 15 minute subway ride away.
So this is something you can consider about when your about to make your final decision.
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #23 of 35
All highs? All lows? Must be BOSE!!!

No seriously....Bose headphones are mediocre at best...i mean, they are OK, dont get me wrong..however, for the money you can do MUCH MUCH better.

Ive never heard any HUGE difference between the QC serious...not enough to justify a larger price tag.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All highs? All lows? Must be BOSE!!!

No seriously....Bose headphones are mediocre at best...i mean, they are OK, dont get me wrong..however, for the money you can do MUCH MUCH better.

Ive never heard any HUGE difference between the QC serious...not enough to justify a larger price tag.

But they offer a sweet warranty especially for those who are clumsy.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 35
that suspension system looks very interesting I would buy that for my car in a heart beat.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they offer a sweet warranty especially for those who are clumsy.

Warranty service is well and good but I still prefer products that aren't built so badly that you know you'll need it. Yes, there are Bose headphones in my family. I stay away.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #27 of 35
I don't think Bose has better advertising it's just the market they target which is the average non audiophile consumer

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think Bose has better advertising it's just the market they target which is the average non audiophile consumer

I have a gut feeling that Bose is doing really well in the japanese market right now (sans headphones)

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs provide more isolation that active noise cancellation, especially with foam or triflange tips. Typically, the farther in your ear they go the better they isolate. The Klipsch X5 or X10 isolate very well, and with Comply tips are pretty comfortable. The X10 has more bass. The X10 is more than the QC2 and the X5 is less. I like the X5 more. If you live near an airport, you might be able to audition them at an Airport Wireless store.

If you can't stand sticking something in your ear, the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 sounds better than Bose, is almost as good with noise cancellation, can play music without the noise cancellation, and 1/3 as much. A couple of my coworkers have bought the AT at my suggestion and like them.

No the ANC7s do not sound better than the new Bose QC15, and yes I have a pair and have been using them for the last two years. I am moving up to the QC15s because of their noise canceling which is way better than ANC7s and the Senn PXC450. When I want audiophile bliss, I will listen to my Dynaudio setup at home, when on a 737 I want a Bose QC15 attached to my ipod.

To answer the OP question yes the QC15s are better, they are quieter,and that allows you to hear more of the music. No,its not the last word in Audiophile bliss,and they are not intended to be. But they allow you to enjoy the music and not pay attention to the kid screaming two rows back on your next flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back