Difference in SQ between 3.5mm jack splitter and adapter?
Mar 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

argh

New Head-Fier
Is there a difference in sound quality between a 3.5mm jack splitter and adapter? I've attached a handy image in case of any confusion.
L3000.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 22
How come you don't just get a cable instead of an adapter?

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um they both are horrible?

If you need such a device:

Mapleshade Audio Products - Purist Mini-To-RCA Adapter

Its not like such splitters/adapters are rocket science. To OP, any decently made one should do. Basic principle isnt any different from 3,5->6,3mm jack adapters, shape is just different.

*edit* Whoa, I take it back. What OP is asking is a cable that splits a headphone jack to two so you can plug two headphones in one device? I have no idea how this affects soundquality, but I dont know if the cable even matters considerably. I wonder how the amplifier reacts and if sound quality decreases.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not like such splitters/adapters are rocket science. To OP, any decently made one should do. Basic principle isnt any different from 3,5->6,3mm jack adapters, shape is just different.

*edit* Whoa, I take it back. What OP is asking is a cable that splits a headphone jack to two so you can plug two headphones in one device? I have no idea how this affects soundquality, but I dont know if the cable even matters considerably. I wonder how the amplifier reacts and if sound quality decreases.

well the issue is, you can present a screwball load to the amplifier if you hook two pairs of hp's up (especially DIFFERENT hp's
very_evil_smiley.gif
), thats generally a BAD thing to do if the amplifier isn't designed for it (therefore isn't expecting it
wink.gif
)

as far as "adapter" to "cable adapter", I prefer going with the two-piece solution, something like the Maplewhatever (except thats entirely overpriced, I shop at monoprice and radioshack kthx), and a stereo RCA to RCA cable, few reasons:

A) if the adapter gets borked up, you still have the cable
B) if you stop needing the adapter (say you change whatever source this is sitting btwxt), you still have the stereo IC

NOW, for the TRS question:
get the cable thing, its less strain on the jack (its only designed with the weight of one TRS connector in mind, not four, the cable can help alleviate this)

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 22
one on the left splits the signal (i am guessing) into two inferior digital stereo signals (although it may be splitting them to two mono signals depending on what it actually is). The 3.5 to 2xRCA is splitting a stereo signal into two mono signals. there wotn be "any" difference in quality.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one on the left splits the signal (i am guessing) into two inferior digital stereo signals (although it may be splitting them to two mono signals depending on what it actually is). The 3.5 to 2xRCA is splitting a stereo signal into two mono signals. there wotn be "any" difference in quality.

no and no?

"inferior digital stereo signal" -> LOL WUT?

and its TRS stereo -> 2x TRS stereo

its fine for "source" type connections, in some cases (preamps/sources/etc), or if you're combining two mono signals to a line-in, but in terms of driving a load with them (for example two pairs of hp's), its harder on the amplifier (it doesn't matter if the load is presented in parallel or serial, one is just "more harder")

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maza is right, this is about 3.5mm connections only (not RCA).

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 22
To the OP, looking at the pics you attached, it's not so much which design is chosen as the quality of the materials and workmanship. An adapter of either "style" from, say, Radioshack, will degrade the sound quality slightly, but you'd need good ears and pretty resolving equipment to hear the difference as IME the affect on sound quality is quite minor. For most mid-fi applications tho RS gold adapters are fine.

I'm really curious about that Mapleshade adapter, tho of course that one is a mini-to-RCA adapter so wouldn't suit your needs.

Audioquest makes a pretty decent one for about $12 though, available here. Notice it's a slightly different design than the ones you asked about. Same end result tho.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP, looking at the pics you attached, it's not so much which design is chosen as the quality of the materials used. An adapter of either "style" from, say, Radioshack, will degrade the sound quality slightly, but you'd need good ears and pretty resolving equipment to hear the difference as IME the affect on sound quality is quite minor. For most mid-fi applications tho RS gold adapters are fine.

I'm really curious about that Mapleshade adapter, tho of course that one is a mini-to-RCA adapter so wouldn't suit your needs.

Audioquest makes a pretty decent one for about $12 though, available here. Notice it's a slightly different design than the ones you asked about. Same end result tho.
smily_headphones1.gif

two words for ya champ:
prove it.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
two words for ya champ:
prove it.

Why must you always be so argumentative?
tongue.gif

Like all the other times you've been like this to me, I give you the same answer: I use my ears. When I listen to my headphone w/ a radioshck splitter in the loop, the sound quality is degraded slightly compared to what I hear when I remove the splitter or use the audioquest splitter that I linked above.

The OP is asking for our opinions/experience. No "proving" is necessary. And I shouldn't have lead readers of this forum by the hand and say "in my experience" or "from what my ears tell me" in every single post. Most people are smart enoughto know that it is implied on opinion questions like this.

Except for you, apparently.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why must you always be so argumentative?
tongue.gif

Like all the other times you've been like this to me, I give you the same answer: I use my ears. When I listen to my headphone w/ a radioshck splitter in the loop, the sound quality is degraded slightly compared to what I hear when I remove the splitter or use the audioquest splitter that I linked above.

The OP is asking for our opinions/experience. No "proving" is necessary. And I shouldn't have lead readers of this forum by the hand and say "in my experience" or "from what my ears tell me" in every single post. Most people are smart enoughto know that it is implied on opinion questions like this.

Except for you, apparently.
wink.gif

actually the OP never asked for opinions or experience, he asked if there was actually a difference in SQ between the two styles of converter/adapter

reading the original post can be fun:
Is there a difference in sound quality between a 3.5mm jack splitter and adapter?

and if you're going to claim "higher quality cable will make it better SQ all the time forever I am right everyone who doesn't agree is wrong I win", prove it.

until then, there is no difference in SQ, and the only issues you could have are poor build quality (where the adapter actually falls apart, or is wired wrong (I've seen them come wired backwards, for example, simple mistakes like that)), or with the "boxy" style (where its a got zero cord length to it), bending/damaging the TRS output on whatever he's plugging into (especially if he's got 1/4" to 1/8" adapters in the mix as well), based on the second issue alone, I will (again) suggest the "cord type", just as I suggest the "cord type" 1/4" to 1/8" adapters (like the Grado one, as an example)

and on an unrelated note:
why the HELL does someone disagreeing with you have to lead to personal attacks?

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and if you're going to claim "higher quality cable will make it better SQ all the time forever I am right everyone who doesn't agree is wrong I win", prove it.

until then, there is no difference in SQ

Some of us are in the camp that claim "I've proven to myself that higher quality cables will sound better and if you disagree, feel free to try to prove to me I'm either delusional or I'm lying to myself and others".
wink.gif

Personally, I would go with the tiny adapter every time - they are usually a single solid piece of gold plated brass ("copper alloy" or another name for copper with impurities) and I think that's better than a gold plated brass mini plug, soldered to a wire, a length of wire and then another solder joint to a gold plated brass female mini jack.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of us are in the camp that claim "I've proven to myself that higher quality cables will sound better and if you disagree, feel free to try to prove to me I'm either delusional or I'm lying to myself and others".
wink.gif

well, if thats the case, a qualification should go along with it "I feel that this sounds better, but not everyone will agree", instead of "IM RIGHT BECAUSE I HEARD IT, SOD OFF IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME"

Quote:

Personally, I would go with the tiny adapter every time - they are usually a single solid piece of gold plated brass ("copper alloy" or another name for copper with impurities) and I think that's better than a gold plated brass mini plug, soldered to a wire, a length of wire and then another solder joint to a gold plated brass female mini jack.

even with the potential to damage the jack with weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back