difference between shigarki, dAck, scott nikon dacs are?
Mar 18, 2004 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Is there actually any difference between these DACs? They are all based off a minimalistic design. I liked the shigaraki sound in the store.

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 37
Did you like the price tag too!
biggrin.gif

If you have to go the minimalist route how about a pi-tracer instead to go with the DACs and an Elgar DAC.

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 37
shigaraki is the expensive one of the bunch so no I didn't like the price tag haha.. That's why I'm asking if there's much difference. dACk and scott nixon are much cheaper
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 37
DACs are overrated get the Sharp SM-SX 200 upsampling digital amp. Unfortunately only available in Japan! Maybe you should get one of the Japanese Headfiers to hook you up. Your K1000s will love one of these!

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 37
loveheadphones. I heard the shigaraki with the Rega Planet 2000. It basically crushed the Rega.

kartik, tubes my friend! the sharp doesn't have any
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 37
Or I can just go over to your place MoLtoSoLo?
biggrin.gif

Or I can just wait for the NYC meet. I'm hoping it will be there.

Mar 18, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Or I can just go over to your place MoLtoSoLo?
biggrin.gif

Or I can just wait for the NYC meet. I'm hoping it will be there.

The AcK DacK will be there.

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 37
I've had the dAck for a few months now, liked the non-OS sound enough to get the DacKit for my work rig. Assembled the PCB kit about two weeks ago, still working on a couple small auxillary circuits: toslink input, battery level and error indicators; and an enclosure for this. Haven't done any serious A/B comparisions yet, but the two seem to be very similar in sound, highly dynamic and resolving with a dead quiet background. I am running the DacKit from a 12 V (10 cell) NiMH AA pack and have listened with Sony D555 Toslink, Gilmore V2, and Grado HP-1 mostly.

I'd like to hear the Shigaraki or Progression at some point, but these other models should be very competitive given the price and similar minimalist design.

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 37
A good question...

I have heard the early Ack! Dac in my rig and now I use Shigaraki with Dumpty ps on it.

They shared the similar traits. Upfront, immediate yet both had a analogue like natural-ness to it. I could not deal with recharging battery on Ack! Dac.

Note that neither units offer airy atmospheric treble air typical of upsampling units.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
Note that neither units offer airy atmospheric treble air typical of upsampling units.

I'm curious since I've not spent much time listening to a good vinyl setup, how does the "air" on an upsamping DAC compare? You seem to be stating that the Kusunoki design is analogous
wink.gif
I thought vinyl was good in terms of instrument seperation and imaging, what I would call "airy". These are critical components for a natural presentation and a large part of why I like the Kusunoki design. Are upsamplers superior to both analog and non-OS DACs in this respect, or is it a middle-ground below vinyl, or am I completely missing the point?

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
How does something like the Ack DAC compare to a Bel Canto DAC2?

- Chris

hey minya.

I had a so-called pre prodcution Ack DAC when we compared it to DAC2.

DAC2 hands down had more resolution and better frequency extension than Ack.

High frequency in particular, DAC2 was lot more open and smoother without rolling off. DAC2 also images laid back than Ack or Shigaraki for that matter.

Ack, however, had a fun upfront groovy presentation ( tright grip in midbass ) that I thought it was faster sounding than DAC2.

A newer unit supposedly addressed Ack's truncated trebles but, I haven't heard 'em.

It was pain in the arse to recharge every so often where I use a DAC in my office during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back