difference between shigarki, dAck, scott nikon dacs are?
Mar 22, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 37
hey pigmode, i'm the lucky stiff who got your shigaraki
wink.gif
. right now i use it with an iHP-120 (hard drive transport, basically) but having such a pretty DAC makes me feel like i just HAVE to get a true dedicated source. i'm considering a pioneer dv-656a with L2 mods from modwright. i'm afraid the shigaraki DAC just encouraged my upgrade-itis
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by loveheadphones
i'm considering a pioneer dv-656a with L2 mods from modwright.

You won't be dissapointed, the L2 mods did make a noticeable improvement. For the price, the mods are a steal. Though, I'd advise you against buying the Bybee mods... I bought them unknowingly. Apparently they are just "snake oil."

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #33 of 37
hey david, yeah i read some old threads about the bybees. i especially loved kevin gilmore's comments
biggrin.gif

p.s. kuma, do you prefer your mac/DAC over a dedicated cd transport/DAC? i'm now thinking that maybe i'll stick with the iHP-120 and just put a monarchy DIP in the signal path.
i mean, you can't use SACD or DVD-A signals with a DAC, right? they only deal with redbook, i thought. so in the future, our DAC's won't be as useful.

Mar 23, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #34 of 37
There's still a ton of redbook so a good DAC for that isn't a bad investment.

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

p.s. kuma, do you prefer your mac/DAC over a dedicated cd transport/DAC? i'm now thinking that maybe i'll stick with the iHP-120 and just put a monarchy DIP in the signal path.
i mean, you can't use SACD or DVD-A signals with a DAC, right? they only deal with redbook, i thought. so in the future, our DAC's won't be as useful. [/B]

loveheadphhones,

I only have few dealings with 'dedicated' transports.But so far, I'm digging HD based music server. I've a feeling this is easier way to deal things than trying to find a perfect combo between a transport, adigital cable and a DAC.

I was never a 'two box' person for a digital source and had far less success by trying to assemble a good separates than one box CD player.
I really do think that a dedicated CD only transport will be absolete. But, I see a good redbook only DAC being usefull since there are so many tunes are available in 44.1khz format still.
Untill hi-res.software will build up enough library the format themselves are irrelevant for me. Plus, thus far, I am dissapointed with SACD performance...
DVD A was better but not enough new releases!
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma

Upsampling units I have heard can be tad short on low end definition and depth making a system biassed towards higher frequency. Somewhat lacking in realism and pace.

kuma, many thanks for articulating this, looking back this is exactly what I have found lacking in the upsampling CDP/DACs, I'm just starting to recognize PRaT differences.... prolly my weekest point in critical listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back