Difference between SACD and SACD-Hybird?
Nov 2, 2006 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
I was just trying to pick up some music albums, but then found out that the album comes out in CD and SACD-Hybrid.

Now, on regular CDP, can SACD be played on it? Or only SACD-Hybrid can be played?

And does it worth to buy SACD/SACD Hybrid comparing to regular CD's? I mean, do they have audible/significant difference in sound quality that the higher price justifies it?

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 11
SACD-Hybrid has a CD layer as well as an SACD layer, and it will work in standard CDPs. a non-hybrid SACD will not work in a standard CDP.

some have said that the mastering can be better on the CD layer of a hybrid than on a regular CD, so if the price is the same, i'd go with the hybrid.

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
A while (long while iirc) ago there was a thread about some Hybrid Discs being difficult for some redbook players to deal with ?

I have yet to have a problem with any hybrids and given the chance will always buy hybrid.

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Yes, buy the hybrid if the price is the same. I play hybrids on Red Book players (Clarion car deck, Rega Planet) regularly and without problems.

If you ever want to get into SACD later, you'll be able to use the discs. Should curiosity strike, you can get the Sony SCD CE-595 at bargain prices; I've seen them as low as $60 online. In my opinion, SACD is wonderful and the CE-595 a true bargain.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
some have said that the mastering can be better on the CD layer of a hybrid than on a regular CD, so if the price is the same, i'd go with the hybrid.

Does that mean that SACD Hybrid will sound better than regular CDs when both are played on Redbook player?

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
Does that mean that SACD Hybrid will sound better than regular CDs when both are played on Redbook player?

If its the same master, no.

However if the SACD was newly created (remastered for SACD) then the cd layer will also contain a newly remastered redbook version. The pre-existing CDs will have the older un-remastered version. In time, a remastered CD only version will probably come out.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
A while (long while iirc) ago there was a thread about some Hybrid Discs being difficult for some redbook players to deal with ?

I only once had a reading problem with a hybrid on a redbook player, and that was with my ancient D-25 which has a very "picky" pickup anyway due to the lack of any buffer. Otherwise no probs.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
My computer CD burner and DVD-ROM sometimes have problems reading the hybrid SACD discs. They're fine on my portables, however.

Never happened here. In fact, my SACD player one would not read a disc once (so I returned it to have it replaced) but my iMac would happily read the redbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back