Difference between Playstation 2: New slim one Vs. Old one?
Sep 26, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
The older version had a problem with the laser breaking and read errors. Purchasing a second hand unit, means this will happen sooner then later.

The first ones did, but the guy bought this one a year ago, the latest revision hasn't had those problems

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
oh yea, who can forget.

The older version had a problem with the laser breaking and read errors. Purchasing a second hand unit, means this will happen sooner then later.

Good call, it seems like the newer systems are much more prone to issues with the disc drive over time, aside from the Gamecube which seems to hold up pretty well.

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
the biggest difference and most important is noise. Get the slimeline. The old PS2 is loud.

Unless you need absolute quiet the noise ain't that bad. Hell, I barely even notice it when I'm playing.

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #20 of 25
my friend gave me his old ps2 for free when he got a new ps2 slimline. he didn't tell me i'd have to bust out 30 bucks to buy the broadband adapter to play games online with him- and all this time's gone by and i've only played with him a handful of times lol, bah.

Sep 27, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 25
The fan noise doesn't bother me at all, its the laser moving back and forth that can get kind of loud sometimes. Still nowhere near as loud as the Dreamcast drive
basshead.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #22 of 25
My stupid undecisive friend is currently undecided whether to sell or not to sell.

I think my option now is:

To get the brand new PS2 = AUS$240 (US$180)
and then when I have some extra money, get it modded so I can play all games (and DVDs) I throw at it.

So if I am to buy new one, is there any particular (slim line) model that I have to look for?

I know there are a few versions out there, but is it safe to say that if I get it now (current slim line one), I won't be having any problems?

Machine noise is not really a big problem for me, and I'll be getting the slim one anyway. I just hope it's durable. I have this perception that slim stuff is more prone to damage.

You wanna know something funny?
At home, I only have an el-cheapo 14" mono TV, it even only got ONE tiny speaker.
So therefore I'm positive I will be using headphone when playing PS2.

So my plan is hooking the video to the TV, and the audio RCAs to something like my Headsave Classic and use the A900 or something. This is a bit inconvenient, but I have no other option. I don't think it's wise to get a big TV.

But then, how good is the sound quality of PS2 games (eg. Gran Turismo 4, Final Fantasy X)?
Will a "head-fi grade" headphone be an overkill for this kind of purpose?

lol, Imagine hooking up this:

PS2 ---> Audiogeek Nitrogen RCAs ---> SRM 313 ----> SR 404
icon10.gif

By the way, brand new PS2 doesn't come with memory card does it? If not, then I have to factor the cost of the memory card too.

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #23 of 25
FWIW, I've had my older version PS2 for the past 4 years now, and it has logged a LOT of playtime by now. Being I play mostly RPGs on it, it's not uncommon for me to do 3 hour gaming sessions at a time on it doing the whole running around leveling up thing. Hasn't given me a single problem to date. I'm honestly surprised something hasn't already given way.

One thing to keep in mind is the older PS2s do have a cooling fan, whereas the newer ones don't I believe. I do know that people who played Gran Turismo 4 and tried to pull the 24 hour race off on the slim PS2 actually overheated and killed their machines due to the lack of cooling. Unless you plan on playing your games with absolutely no music or sound, I don't see how mechanical noise could intrude upon the gaming experience. Fans are always good for electronics. If my current one ever died, I most likely wouldn't hesitate to buy an older one, they just have a little more space to keep things nice and cool.

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #24 of 25
So all things considered (not size), the older one is actually better then eh?

Problem is, they only sell new slim ones now.
I think I have to resort to eBay and find myself a good, used big fat PS2.

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #25 of 25
Update:

I just pulled it off, got the old version PS2 for AUS$125, picking it up tomorrow night. I think the price is quite reasonable, it's and older model, Version 7, SCPH 39002.

I read that 39002 has more durable lens, but also noisier.

But I don't think it will be overly loud though. But anyway, hope that I'm not getting a dud PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back