Difference between Noise-Cancelling and Closed ?
May 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drogon

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys, I am a n00b, so don't mind if this is a dumb question. I was reading about Noise-Canceling tech Bose (and many others, I think) use. Their technology is centered around canceling outside noises so that the music listener doesn't hear them. Do they also use techniques that cancels the music itself so it isn't audible to people around you ? I'm asking this question as I am thinking of buying a set of headphones and one of my priorities is no one should be able to hear my music. I plan to use it in the library. I don't mind being able to hear outside noises. I tried searching online and the answer to this question was surprisingly nowhere to be found.

May 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 8
The active noise cancelling technology, like the one Bose incorporates with their headphones, mainly works to cut down on low frequency noises, such as on Planes and Trains, etc. It would be an unnecessary overkill for use in that environment alone, as Libraries are typically mostly quiet anyway. I believe the technology only works one way - cancelling noises that come in. QC15 for example I believe does have problems with leakage if music is played too loud.

What you want is a headphone with minimal leakage. Closed Headphones designed for studio use may be your best bet as many are designed with leakage control in mind.

May 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 8
The headphones that leak the least out of the ones I've tried are the HD25-1 II's. Even when the music is played loud they don't leak much at all. Problem with them are many find them uncomfortable due to the clamping pressure... but unfortunately it's necessary evil as tighter clamp is what contributes to the leakage control. Comfort/isolation is not necessarily inversely proportional or anything, but you'll have to make a little sacrifice somewhere.

You'll want to look for headphones fully closed (not vented/ported ones such as Denons for example), preferably with leather/pleather/vinyl pads instead of the velours (velours, while comfortable, contributes to leakage). I'd say look in direction of Ultrasones and Beyers and start from there, perhaps.

May 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 8
sealed in ear canal iems are the quietest externally - I find them uncomfortable, I need different sized tips for each ear

total paranoia would be to use attenuating ear muffs over iem

May 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Check up active vs passive noise attenuation.

May 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 8
KRK KNS8400....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back