Difference between MME, DS, ASIO, WASAPI ?
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jjb

Head-Fier
I've read about ASIO and WASAPI (I am running Vista), but when I set the preferences in FooBar, I also see

"Windows DirectSound"
"MME"
"Soundmapper"

plus the one for the internal soundcard which I disabled.

Since I can't get WASAPI to work, which of those others is best ?

Jeff

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read about ASIO and WASAPI (I am running Vista), but when I set the preferences in FooBar, I also see

"Windows DirectSound"
"MME"
"Soundmapper"

plus the one for the internal soundcard which I disabled.

Since I can't get WASAPI to work, which of those others is best ?

Jeff

Did you install the ASIO output plugin for Foobar?

FooBar ASIO Support: LINK

Foobar Kernel Streaming Support:LINK

Install ASIO and/or KS and use one of these.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 11
KS= Kernel Streaming. I linked to it up there.

Yes, you can install both... These are plugins so you can have many installed and you select them for use.
ASIO is Audio Streaming Input / Output
Developed for low latency recording by Steinberg.
Many use ASIO with Foobar for output.

WASAPI,ASIO or KS etc would be the best way to go for output on Foobar...

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 11
My apologies for the thread jack, however, it is related.

Always been curious about KS. I predominantly use ASIO with XP and WASAPI with Vista (Foobar) and the sound is great once everything is setup. Wanted to give KS a shot to see the differences, however, it only works with onboard sound. None of my DACs that I have tried work with it. Is this common with KS and only working with soundcards?

I mainly use foobar but I give winamp a shot every now and then and on both same result with external dacs.

Also, I see winamp also has asio support, any good with it? Some reviews were not all that. I'm using DS with winamp when I do use it.

Thanks in advance

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 11
HeatFan12: yes, that is common with KS. That is one reason why other options are used, like ASIO and WASAPI.

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeatFan12: yes, that is common with KS. That is one reason why other options are used, like ASIO and WASAPI.

Thanks cerbie

Tried Asio (asio4allv.2) with winamp and works great, however, gapless playback is gone
confused_face(1).gif
....Asio in Foobar does not have this problem.
Is there some setting that I'm missing in winamp for this? Gapless works great in DS.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 11
KS will only work if the drivers engineers bothered to make a "DirectKS miniport", for instance M-Audio did it for my previous soundcard...but only for Vista, on XP they didn't bother! yet it's a XP technology to begin w/
rolleyes.gif

in my book KS has an edge over ASIO because it works in Reclock, but Reclock also supports WASAPI anyway...so KS is perfect for XP users, but for Vista WASAPI is just as good!

but all these means are only ways to bypass the windows audio resampling, because in the end if your audio drivers resample(like the Asus STX does if the manual samplerate in the drivers doesn't match), these alone will not warrant 100% bit-perfect playback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back