Difference between good and bad cd players?
Apr 14, 2007 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

Freddi

New Head-Fier
I've started thinking about upgrading my home setup. I've gotten a hold of a used projector, so now I'll need a surround system, the old stereo system just won't do anymore... you all know the drill...
rolleyes.gif

Well, I was thinking... I've been using my computer as a source. Why would I put alot of money into a new cd player? I'll probably be using the digital out anyways! And how could any cd player mess up that signal? Maybe I don't even need a cd player, but a DVD player would do just fine as a source?

Could someone please shed some light on why an expensive CD player is better than a cheap one? That is if we don't concider the DAC. And what about DVD players as source?

What is the difference between an expensive and a cheap CD player?

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 107
You've got a lot to deal with putting together a 5:1 system... a new amp, speakers, room setup, etc. Don't waste your time reinventing the wheel. Get the surround system working the way you like it before you address the CD player. Anything will do to play CDs until then.

This is plain old horse sense. (The horse pucky will likely follow in this thread...)

See ya
Steve

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 107
Infact, I already got some equipment... Just updated my sig, so I hope it'll all be there.

I figure I'll need a new amp to play dts-sound. The DVD-player is total and utter crap (image hangs!). The two speakers could stay, but they'll probably be out of proportion with the new speakers witch will probably need to be smaller.
I'm also thinking about buying a headphone amp later on...

And that's all!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 107
Dedicated source components provide isolation. A computer CD or DVD drive sends it's signal into an IDE or SATA cable where it goes through a noisy motherboard into a noisy soundcard. If you stick to CD audio, the signal is sent directly to the sound card via that special little cable that connects the two together, sparing some of the noise if your sound card is very good.

High Quality dedicated CD, DVD, SA-CD, DVD-Audio, HD-DVD, Blue-ray, you name it, when dedicated they have internal circuitry designed to minimise noise.

But then again, if your like me and use high quality computer components and mods, your probably not going to notice the difference. I personally am not the most hearing gifted, I can't really tell a difference between my Pioneer DVD player, and a Denon uber-high-master-series-ultra DVD player. Probably because I have a weaker link somewhere else in my setup :p Just go with what works for you, but that is why many people go for dedicated components over integrated.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 107
I gave up on DVD players. I bought a bunch of them- both cheap ones and expensive ones. They all had problems playing certain disks and they all had incomprehensible remotes. I use my Macbook for my CD and DVD player now. I'd recommend a Mac Mini setup over a traditional DVD or CD player. It has bitperfect optical output and can put out DTS 5:1. The best part is it plays just about any kind of audio or video format you can throw at it.

Also, if you're happy with your main speakers, just get a nice set of bookshelf speakers as rear channels and a center speaker. That will fill in the surround without having to get a lot of new speakers. I find that cabinet style speakers have a MUCH flatter response than those tiny satillite 5:1 systems anyway.

See ya
Steve

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 107
Some good advices there... I actually get a better image from the DVD player on the pc than on the dedicated DVD player. Why bother with the expencive DVD and CD players? I think the most important thing (when going for digital out) is to upgrade the amp and get some extra speakers.

I guess I'll have to get two amps though, one for the surround system and one for the headphones. Haven't seen one that does both jobs well yet.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gave up on DVD players. I bought a bunch of them- both cheap ones and expensive ones. They all had problems playing certain disks and they all had incomprehensible remotes. I use my Macbook for my CD and DVD player now. I'd recommend a Mac Mini setup over a traditional DVD or CD player. It has bitperfect optical output and can put out DTS 5:1. The best part is it plays just about any kind of audio or video format you can throw at it.

Also, if you're happy with your main speakers, just get a nice set of bookshelf speakers as rear channels and a center speaker. That will fill in the surround without having to get a lot of new speakers. I find that cabinet style speakers have a MUCH flatter response than those tiny satillite 5:1 systems anyway.

See ya
Steve

This is what I love about my Denon 1720, the remote is big and all the important controls are separated and logically laid out: http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dvd1720/remotelrg.jpg

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 107
Still, what's the difference between great transports and weak transports? Without considering the DAC factor... the ability to read well and the stability of the drive? Like I know the Esoteric/Various other cd players have that ridiculously drive in them... is that it though?

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 107
the difference is everything if you heard the good CDP (in the right system) or nothing if you never heard any good CDP.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 107
95% of the optical pick-up units in the world are manufactured by one of three large companies. Few (if any) companies which assemble complete CD players make their own CD loaders. The bottom line is that virtually all of the components that go into a CD player are the same, regardless of price or prestige. If you buy an expensive CD player, most of the cost goes into the pretty box.

- Warren

p.s. I'm an integrated circuit designer. One of my current designs is a three-channel laser diode driver that will end up on about 80% of the optical pick-up units in the world next year.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 107
Natural music is analog. Vinyls are the best playbacks of those analog sounds. A dream CDP or DAC is one that sounds very analog-like.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 107
Analogue and digital don't have a "sound". They have particular types of noise.

See ya
Steve

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Analogue and digital don't have a "sound". They have particular types of noise.

See ya
Steve

i am going to steal this quote in the future.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 107
Mechanical noise is a biggie for me. I've been using a DVD player as a transport for awhile and the drive produces mechanical clicks as the cds spin. Very irritating during quiet passages of music over an otherwise near-perfectly silent loudspeaker system. This particular player is a ~$120 Pioneer unit; I have a free dvd player that makes no mech. noise at all--junk otherwise. I think I'm going to ditch disc-spinners in favor of a computer as source, as the prevalence of noise is too high and unpredictable IMO in cheaper players.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 107
You guys can keep this up and I can spend the rest of the night deleting your posts or you can stop and I can spend the night listening to music. Enough already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back