Difference between Amps?
Nov 21, 2005 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

GrooveTropics

Head-Fier
What is the difference between a solid state amp, a tube amp, and a hybrid amp?

This has probably been asked before, but oh well.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 32
Solid state:
Uses transistors or silicon chips in the gain stage(the main component that does the work).
Characterised by speed, definition, clarity, neutrality and linearity.

Disadvantages: sometimes(in some amps) prone to solid state "glare" or shimmer, can sound overly technical or analytical.

Tube:
Uses old style valves for the gain stage.
Characterised by warmth, laid back sound, euphony and midrange, naturality(not neutrality).

Disadvantages: can sound like you're in a bubble, can add too much "warmth" to the sound, can be slow, bass can sometimes be rolled off, tubes are fragile expensive and burn out -unlike transistors which basically have an unlimited life span, tubes must be matched much more strictly than transistors. Some tubes run very high voltages which are dangerous.

Hybrid:
Tries to take the best of tubes and the best of solid state and mix the two in a multi (usually dual) stage setup which can sound really good or can sound pretty average.
Characterised by tube warmth with solid state speed.

Add the tube disadvantages to the Solid state and you have the potential disadvantages of hybrids.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 32
Thanks Dude that was a great answer to my question. It has become..so.....clear
plainface.gif

Nah thanks dude.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveTropics
Thanks Dude that was a great answer to my question. It has become..so.....clear
plainface.gif

Nah thanks dude.

What answer were you looking for?

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 32
There was no sarcasm in that sentence. You answered it as clearly as possible. I was thanking you honestly and not sarcastically.

I'll say it again, thanks man.
k1000smile.gif
600smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
280smile.gif
lambda.gif
eggosmile.gif
etysmile.gif
rs1smile.gif
340smile.gif
3000smile.gif
basshead.gif
:

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 32
there you go
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 32
Sorry, I was trying to be funny but I guess my humour didn't crossover too well
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 32
right...remember this is text and tone of voice/colloquialisisms and such can't be accurately portrayed because it is multinational - if you want more info.. ask.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
Solid state:
Characterised by speed, definition, clarity, neutrality and linearity.
Disadvantages: sometimes (in some amps) prone to solid state "glare" or shimmer, can sound overly technical or analytical.

Tube:
Characterised by warmth, laid back sound, euphony and midrange, naturality (not neutrality).

That's a fairly adequate description. Nevertheless, I don't quite agree with the characterisation of solid state as «neutral» and at the same time tubes as sounding «natural, but not neutral». To rate neutrality, you'd have to have a reference in the form of the original signal. Remember: The sonic differences between solid-state amps are by no means smaller than those between tube amps, so they can't really (all) be neutral, at best one of them... As to the tubes' «naturalness»: How can you know that the original signal didn't sound natural? In this case the tube amp's reproduction would have to be seen as neutral, too.

It's not that I don't hear the typical weaknesses of tube amps (relatively slow transient reproduction, sometimes lacking clarity), but at the same time you can't deny the typical weaknesses of solid-state amps (technical flavor), so the term «accuracy» for them as opposed to «euphony» for tubes doesn't really tell the truth. Yes, tubes normally color the sound in a more euphonic way, but that doesn't mean that solid-state designs color the sound less.

This from someone who currently favors solid-state amps...
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 32
*shrugs* ymmv - those are still my opinions

I think tubes and ss both have their place and are good at certain respective things. One is not necessarily better than the other (just different).

I don't like tubes for one reason, and that's lack of durability - that includes microphonics.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

*shrugs* ymmv - those are still my opinions.

Of course, and you're entitled to them. I just wonder what they're based upon.
tongue.gif
(Especially the «neutrality» thing.)

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

they're based upon me listening to lots of amplifiers

So you never compared them to the source signal? You know: all you can rate within a given setup -- without systematic tests -- is synergy between the components, not neutrality of one of them. And: How can solid-state amps differ so much in sonic characteristic and still (all) be neutral?

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 32
*shrugs* I know how they sound side by side, that's good enough for me to be completely frank. I rather listen to the music than argue over technical prowess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back