Difference Between a MacBook Pro and a Tube Amp?
Nov 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SkinnyGeek1010

New Head-Fier

I just purchased a pair of Grado SR325is and I absolutely love them. I am wondering how much of a difference there is between a USB tube amp like the HiFi Man EF2A and an internal sound card like the MacBook Pro.  Is there a night and day difference in sound quality? I noticed a huge difference between my Senheiser 280 Pro's and the Grados.. I don't see how it can get much better! 

Also I listen to a variety of music, blues, classical, electronica, rock, and easy listening like Norah Jones and Jack Johnson. Most of my library is on Spotify premium now but some is encoded in Apple's 320kbps and FLAC.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 7
There is no difference between a MacBook Pro and a tube amp - they're both overpriced cult objects.

But joking apart, yes; with healthy ears and an open mind, you will be able to tell them apart. Before you browse for what other people hear, listen yourself to some tube amps if you can, and compare to what your laptop does.

And before everyone else on head-fi says it: welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet, and please try higher resolution than 320 - there, too, you will encounter meaningful differences.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
There is no difference between a MacBook Pro and a tube amp - they're both overpriced cult objects.

Haha, unlike most I really like Apple's OSX for it's unix underpinnings... and well, it looks nice!

I've tried a couple of albums in FLAC, but it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference... I can only notice it in certain tracks (perhaps a new amp my fix that). 

Is there any other USB amps that would be better in the 150-250 price range? I've also looked at the USB Fubar amps but the EF2 looks like it has better reviews. I also like tweaking things and a USB tube amp seems like a fun alternative to other USB amps.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 7
First there are two gaps between any computer's headphone jack and that of any decent USB amp. First, you've got a less than mediocre D/A converter. Then that not-great signal is fed to a 10 cent opamp headphone amp. Result: Undistinguished muck.

I think, but can't swear to it since it's been a while, that the improvement you heard going from your Senns to your Grados is down to the Grados being a whole lot easier for the opamp chip to drive than the Senns, not necessarily a difference between the phones when driven by a more solid amplifier.

Ideally, I would treat the D/A conversion and amplification separately. I've only listened to the HRT Music Streamers, so I can't say how they compare to anything else, but the current generation basic streamer sounds very good while the Streamer II+ sounds excellent.

After that, the sky's the limit for headphone amp choices.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 7
It depends a lot on the tube amp. They're not all created equal.

Also, it seems you're looking for a DAC/amp combo. I'd recommend looking a little deeper into DACs, as well.

Though there's nothing wrong with Grados on a MacBook. I've listed to that combination and enjoyed it.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Stereotypically, warmer mids.

But Grados already do mids so well I would rather invest the money into a better DAC. At 32 ohms, you don't exactly need the power a standalone amp will offer.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 7
That's a good point, I don't turn it up past 25% volume now anyhow. I guess I assumed you need an amp and DAC if you wanted a better DAC. If it has RCA outputs, can you just use a 1/4" adapter for the headphones?

Any suggestions on brands or models? I would like to keep it around 150-200 ish if possible. After some googling, The HRT Music Streamer II seems to be popular (along with it's + model).

http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-Resolution/dp/B0038O4UFQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Users who are viewing this thread

Back