Differance between flac and mp3?
Jan 12, 2008 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TXGC

New Head-Fier
Ive heard multiple times about the mind blowing differance between lossless and mp3, but is it really worth it? Id really like to avoid spending like 200 bucks in CD's then manually ripping it all, espeacially when each CD would sometimes have only 1 or 2 songs id actually want.

Is there another way to go lossless that we are allowed to discuss here? Whats the easiest way to get all my music in lossless? Someone enlighten me...

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXGC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it really worth it?

To me, yes. To you, depends on your expectations, gear and ears.

Using EAC to rip from CD is the best way to go. Otherwise, start searching the net but it's had to find full albums. Legally of course.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXGC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive heard multiple times about the mind blowing differance between lossless and mp3, but is it really worth it?

Only you can tell if its worth it or not. Cause we all have different gear, set of ears, etc.
Some of us hear a clear audible difference between lossless (ex. FLAC) and lossy (ex. MP3) encoded audio.

To me lossless files are certainly worth it. But it might be different to you...

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, yes. To you, depends on your expectations, gear and ears.

Using EAC to rip from CD is the best way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burningskulls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try your local library for CDs you just want a couple songs off of. They have a surprising number of hard to find stuff.

And yes, lossless is worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only you can tell if its worth it or not. Cause we all have different gear, set of ears, etc.
Some of us hear a clear audible difference between lossless (ex. FLAC) and lossy (ex. MP3) encoded audio.

To me lossless files are certainly worth it. But it might be different to you...

Agree Agree Agree on all counts.

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 9
I use FLAC at home, where my storage space is, for all practical purposes, unlimited. However, I use MP3 for portable use, because there is no audible difference to me between FLAC and a good MP3, so it is not worth the additional space.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 9
I try not to push my own views too much into these topics (Believe me it's very tempting at times). So, I'll just tell you why I use FLAC.

While you might not be able to HEAR the difference between FLAC and MP3, I like the peace of mind knowing that FLAC is the same as what's on the CD.

Future-Proof. This is perhaps the MAIN reason I started using FLAC, in the future there may well come a time when either MP3 is dead or replaced by something superior, in this case you can just decompress your flacs and encode into another format, but with MP3 you'll have not choice but to delete them.

Audio equipment may well change enough for even the casual listener to be able to tell the difference between mp3 and flac.

FLAC is open-source and free, while MP3 is not. I'd rather support something that was open source. How about you?

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Future-Proof. This is perhaps the MAIN reason I started using FLAC, in the future there may well come a time when either MP3 is dead or replaced by something superior, in this case you can just decompress your flacs and encode into another format, but with MP3 you'll have not choice but to delete them.

Absolutely....plus with the cost of hard drive space, there really is no reason not to for home storage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back