Didnt like D2000, Now need new headphones
Oct 4, 2008 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

No Smoking

Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of D2000 however I found them too heavy (gave me neck cramps :S) and also I didnt like the closed sound too much, so I sold them. I am now looking for a new "light" pair of headphones for around the same price as the d2000.

So far im looking at the Ath-ad700/900 anyone else got other recommendations? I currently do have an older amp however do plan on upgrading in the foreseeable future.

Thanks

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 18
I like my AD900s, they're light and have near zero clamping force. This is great as they are comfortable for hours on end, but don't try any headbanging with them
tongue.gif

The only possible downside is how huge they are, they do cover a large portion of the side of your head.
<<-- That's them there.

What kind of music do you listen to? I find the AD900 good for many genres, but not always what I'm looking for when I want a more up-front sound with certain metal tracks, which is why I'm looking at some Grados/Alessandros to satisfy that niche of my listening habits.

The sound is great, huge soundstage, detail all across the spectrum and refined bass. Some say the bass is too light, but I like it, and it is improved with the use of an amp. As for the AD700, I haven't heard them but from what I've read they're similar, but whatever the 700s do, the 900s do better. So if both are an option get the AD900.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 18
You found them too heavy? They're as light as a feather!

I also don't know any closed headphones with a less closed sound. Good luck in your search though, anyway.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Smoking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for music choice I listen to a wide range of genres, basically everything but metal and rap.

Then I think you'd be very happy with the AD900, but do tell about what you didn't like about the D2000, there should be some better suggestions.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 18
Well I personally didn't find the sound of the d2000 all that bad, I found them a little bass heavy however I wouldn't really regard that as a problem and I didn't really like the "closed" sound however the main fault was the weight and the leather which made it even more uncomfortable for long use.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 18
At least partial markl mods would take care of both.. doing them takes away that "ear-against-a-subwoofer" feel of the stock Denon, and tapering the pads angles the drivers a little bit to create a more coherent soundstage.

Maybe Grado SR225 is for you?

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 18
I know the markl mod would have probably fixed it, however the markl mod would have just added more weight and the major problem was I found the headphones too heavy to be comfortable and considering I plan to wear them extensively if they werent comfortable there wouldnt be much point in keeping them.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 18
Yeah the markl mods add some weight.

Does the headband support some of the weight on the top of your head? Because it should.. If not, then adjust them to do so.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 18
If you don't like closed headphones' sound, there is no way you can live with them as your only headphone. I'm the same, I listen to D2000 for fun, but keep coming back to open headphones.

I've listened to and own many, and I still consider D2000 the best headphones for $200. You've to reach deeper into your pocket to get better/comparable sound. K501 and HD580 come close with heavy investments on amp. The AD700 will be immediately less focused in its sound compared to the D2000. Haven't heard the AD900.

As for comfort:
The plastics Grado are among the lightest around, if you can stand their bowl pads, the SR225 is a good choice.

At current prices, IMO DT880 is the only $200 headphones that has comparable or even better sound quality than the D2000 if amped right. It has excellent comfort too, more so to my head than other headphone at this price.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 18
DT880, lightweight and comfortable as long as you don't have ears that are too big, and even then its not too bad. I had owned a pair of technics dj cans before which weighed like a ton, so not too many headphones after that seemed to be heavy. And I definitely would not call the Denons too heavy, but the Beyers are much lighter. Sound quality is personal preference, I liked the Beyers detail and the definition of the Bass.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #13 of 18
I sold my Denon D2000 when I received my AKG K601. Because they are far more comfortable, and have a more balanced sound with a tighter and more detailed bass.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my AD900s, they're light and have near zero clamping force. This is great as they are comfortable for hours on end, but don't try any headbanging with them
tongue.gif

The only possible downside is how huge they are, they do cover a large portion of the side of your head.

What kind of music do you listen to? I find the AD900 good for many genres, but not always what I'm looking for when I want a more up-front sound with certain metal tracks, which is why I'm looking at some Grados/Alessandros to satisfy that niche of my listening habits.

The sound is great, huge soundstage, detail all across the spectrum and refined bass. Some say the bass is too light, but I like it, and it is improved with the use of an amp. As for the AD700, I haven't heard them but from what I've read they're similar, but whatever the 700s do, the 900s do better. So if both are an option get the AD900.

If you don't like heavy and closed, then elliot42 couldn't be more right. The AD900 are a great fon, better than my Alessandro MS2i, and unless you are a bass head (and there is nothing wrong with AD900's bass), I doubt there are better headphones for the price. elliot42, consider the ESW9 as a Grado alternative, they have similar attributes (forward, fast), along with AT atributes. They don't have the sound stage of AD900s but they sound and look like magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back