Did you own hi-fi speakers which beat your best cans?
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

matti621

Head-Fier
Cheap low end cans beat any speakers up to mid-range, which at that point the performance/price climbs very fast for speakers but decline just as fast for headphones. I'd say that point is around $100. At $500 there's barely any added sound quality gain by spending more.

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 34
I used to own Zu Druid MkIV and they comfortably beat my T1 and LCD-X.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 34
In audio as in most consumer items there are diminishing returns. If you include used cans, then I'll buy the $500 figure offered.

I'd say I've owned two speakers that top my best can including it's mods - but just by a bit.

Verity Parsifal v3 new $17.5k

ML CLS IIz & Gradient subs $6.8k - but need two stout amps

Cheaper and newer gets close too:

GoldenEar Triton 5

Maggie 1.7i

KEF LS50

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 34
simply for the tactile bass and more accurate/natural imaging, I'd place almost any speakers I ever owned above any headphone I've ever tried.
headphones can easily measure better as a basic input vs output comparison, so it is a much better medium for hifi in the long run. but as long as the albums aren't mastered for them, and nothing is done to better customize the headphone to fit the listener's own HRTF, the very concept of fidelity is out the window. having something like lower THD is inconsequential compared to having the wrong signature or stereo delivery.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 34
Agreed that speakers are more natural as transparent. I find my dynaudio BM6s have more bass and a faster response than all my headphones but also disappear as spread the music out over my room in a way that headphones can't emulate

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 34
A good pair of speakers even at $300-$400 can outperform the best headphones as long as they are set up properly.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 34
Not sure about price but this is the key aspect of owning a speaker set up.

When I started with speakers it was placement in room for bass and stereo width. But it really includes the ratio between absorbtion, diffusion, and reflection - ratio of speakers "into" the room vs listening position vs back wall, solidness of floor and walls vs sponginess. Aggressive EQ might seem to be a shortcut to nirvana, but, an overly reflective room might show up on paper as being 'flat' but be bedeviled by smearing.

Another thing that's a mess in most listening rooms (if you don't have a dedicated room you're likely nowhere close to having a good set up re: maximizing the room) is having a hulking stand/array of equipment between the speakers. OMG! Firstly lots of reflective surfaces right in the middle of the back of the soundstage? Ugh. I know we're all proud of our equipment, and its like a display case with your collectibles in it, but no. Equally bad is a turntable on the top of the same stand - unless the stand and table are very heavy sitting on a concrete floor they are acoustically active. On top of that if your table has a dust cover, that's more flimsy material being smacked by bass and going right to your cartridge.

Get your equipment away from your front wall - to a closet is ideal, or next to you (but slightly behind you). A long run of balanced cable or speaker wire is a lot less damaging to sound.

Ditch the wall to wall carpeting, go with scatter rugs of 3 x 4 or 4 x 5 in a checkerboard pattern. Buy up used ASC traps (bass full rounds for front corners, and 1/2 rounds for front wall), sound flags is another great product ASC makes for the midrange.

So, now that I've downsized away from my fully tricked out listening room, my speakers went from sounding like $7k to a crap room where they sound like $600. All of my headphones - even the two I don't like crucify them.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 34
I actually started out with speakers first, before buying any headphones, so I have much experience. One thing I know is that if you want to hear them properly, you have to have them setup properly, but that's common knowledge. Ideally there should be nothing between the speakers (no units, no hifi components, no tv - nothing!), so as to not ruin the stereo soundfield. They ought to be the correct distance apart (don't have them too far apart if they are small bookshelf speakers or too close if they are large floorstanding speakers), they should be facing the same way, and if the room is not carpeted, make sure to buy a rug you can place right between the speakers, as this helps to centre the stereo soundfield. Also take into account your listening position.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #13 of 34
I personally love the way music sounds with headphones and prefer it as well. It's due to not having to mess with room acoustics and the how close the speakers are to your ears to hear such clarity and details. I like the way the open-backs presents the music in an open fashion with sound decay characteristics.

I heard high-end speakers and still prefer headphones in terms of detail retrieval.

One thing I use speakers is for movies as I find dialog tonality to sound off with headphones for videos.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 34
I've never heard my nearfields with nothing in between them (monitor in the centre and PC tower directly behind that). I'm actually quite curious how that would change the sound.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 34
I've never heard my nearfields with nothing in between them (monitor in the centre and PC tower directly behind that). I'm actually quite curious how that would change the sound.

If your front wall is featureless and reflective it will sound different but perhaps not better. When i was a teen setting up my own first room, I made a lot of use out of checkerboard pattern egg crates tacked up. They helped a lot. Someone else said a carpet on a bare floor between speakers. Good idea, but not if the carpet is too big.

My best full speaker system circa 2005 room was better than my current headphone system, but the list price was 10x more. But it was not 10x better, more like 1.3x better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back