Did you guys check out the new Tone Audio yet? K701 review!
Mar 30, 2006 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
21,332
Likes
32
So a while back I signed up for a free subscription to this internet audio mag Here and yesterday I got the new issue in my email, a whopping 20+meg pdf file, whew!

I only had a chance to skim it so far, so of course I head right to the headphone section and bingo, a K701 review! This one's by immtbiker here on head-fi, and has a very different take on this can than the general consensus building here so far - argh i can't believe I haven't heard it yet!

There's a Benchmark DAC-1 review in there too I haven't read yet, but an AWESOME back to back to back to back laundry list of excellent 80's albums, 90 percent which I agree with and the other 10 percent I've never heard so I guess I know what's going on my to-do list.

All in all, this is a solid ish, melikes - and it's free, which is the best part.
evil_smiley.gif
What did you all think of it?
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 17

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Posts
3,760
Likes
12
interesting review: but i am starting to hear several stories about the K701.
1. It splits the difference between the DT880 and HD650
2. It is detailed/It is not very detailed
3. It is best for classical and acostic music/it is the jack of all trades/master of none
4. the best thing since sliced bread/flavor of the month
maybe it's time i hear this thing for myself....
In any case, thanks, i enjoyed reading that magazine...and looking at all the pretty amplifiers.
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 17

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Posts
1,772
Likes
13
@granodemostasa:

If you are interested in hearing the K701s, I can loan you my pair, seeing how you are in Cal and so am I. But of course I'm interested in hearing your HD650s as well
icon10.gif
PM me if you are interested in setting something up.
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 17

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Posts
3,760
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
@granodemostasa:

If you are interested in hearing the K701s, I can loan you my pair, seeing how you are in Cal and so am I. But of course I'm interested in hearing your HD650s as well
icon10.gif
PM me if you are interested in setting something up.



Sure, i'd let you give em a try any time you want (my rig right now is broken, as my soundcard is in pieces and i'm about to sell my amp). it will be back together after the summer though, but if i could test it out before i sell my amp (next few days) then that might work.
food for thought: with all these headfiers around campus a mini-meet shouldn't be hard to set up.
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 17

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Posts
3,407
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
interesting review: but i am starting to hear several stories about the K701.
1. It splits the difference between the DT880 and HD650
2. It is detailed/It is not very detailed
3. It is best for classical and acostic music/it is the jack of all trades/master of none
4. the best thing since sliced bread/flavor of the month
maybe it's time i hear this thing for myself....
In any case, thanks, i enjoyed reading that magazine...and looking at all the pretty amplifiers.



If there is one thing consistent about K701 reviews, and most reviews in general, it's a lack of consistency.

This Tone Audio review is quite different from what other reviews have said, whole "it's about the mids" is actually surprising considering the frequency response graphs that have been published which show the mids are actually recessed.
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 17

nabwong

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Posts
2,911
Likes
63
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
If there is one thing consistent about K701 reviews, and most reviews in general, it's a lack of consistency.

This Tone Audio review is quite different from what other reviews have said, whole "it's about the mids" is actually surprising considering the frequency response graphs that have been published which show the mids are actually recessed.



To Quote Tyll from headroom..... "the graphs mean nothing"

I think it's really how your own ears perceive them. Gonna get a listen this sunday! WOOHOOOO!!!
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 17

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Posts
3,349
Likes
12
Honestly I find the K701 frequency response graph to be quite funny. If you used that as the tell all, you'd also believe that the 701s have more bass than the 650s (or in the very least that it's more dominering than the 650s), but that's really not the case.

So no frequency response graphs are not the tell all.
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 17

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Posts
3,760
Likes
12
Actually, what i think is going on with the K701 is that non-classical music listeners listen to it and think it's made for classical music and that it is neutral. while classical music people listen and think it's not so neutral and that it is more for popular music/or that it is not really the best for classical music and therefore must be made to do several other types of music.... some say it reveals too much, hyper detailed while others say it omits the detail to make less well recorded music sound better.... ho the confusion!
i guess this, of course, has to do with with the reviewer is comparing it to and his/her music tastes.
 
Mar 30, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 17

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Posts
5,047
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Sure, i'd let you give em a try any time you want (my rig right now is broken, as my soundcard is in pieces and i'm about to sell my amp). it will be back together after the summer though, but if i could test it out before i sell my amp (next few days) then that might work.
food for thought: with all these headfiers around campus a mini-meet shouldn't be hard to set up.



PM me if you guys put something together
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 17

tyrion

Can Jam '08 Lead Organizer
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Posts
10,904
Likes
34
I enjoyed immtbiker's 701 review and his music discussion. It would have been nice if he mentioned that it was my Raptor and ESound he used with flecom's 701's in Tampa. I've tried the 701's on a couple of occasions and didn't care for them. I prefer my 650's.
 
Apr 17, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 17

MC Jeff D

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Posts
32
Likes
0
Hi Troops:

Thanks for all the feedback, and most of all thanks for reading
TONE-Audio.

The hardest part of our job is really reviewing gear in an objective
manner. I understand what you think about how one reviewer
likes them another does not, and in the end what do you believe?

I can only tell you this, and hope you all agree. We all hear sound
a bit different and many of us like different things when we are
listening to music. I know when I was at The Absolute Sound, my
editor Wayne Garcia liked the sound of BAT gear with his Kharma
Ceramiques, which to me sounded way too harsh, but that was the
sound he liked.

What I have found over the years of reading hifi magazines (and car, motorcycle, computer and camera magazines) is I latch on to a couple
of people that have had similar experiences with similar gear to my own.

Then those are the things I usually investigate.

It is still very interesting to hear a piece of gear, draw my conclusions and then hear someone listen to the same thing and disagree, but that's what this is all about to me, the personal exploration and enjoyment!!

Our mission at TONE is not necessarily to uncover the absolute sound, but to expose you to more stuff to explore. I hope that we can at least accomplish that. Thanks again for reading!!

I hope to bump into some of the head-fi'ers at the meet next weekend!

Best regards,


Jeff Dorgay
Publisher
TONE-Audio
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top