Did you ever thought listening to music is a waste of time?
May 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

nicholaus

Head-Fier
You could consider music as a total waste of time...you could also consider it to be something much more than simple "fun".Art as I consider it...but sometimes I do wonder.I'm interested in your opinions...

May 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 33
Short answer and personally, No!

Hobbys and art even are a waste of time and money and not necessary for survival.

With a great degree of personal positions between the two above opinions.

Of course, there are some people with outstanding high end gear, who do not like music, and that is a waste of both time and money although appearently they can afford to waste both.

May 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 33
A big NO (for music lovers as myself). Simple, if you feel better doing something even if it's a total waste of time for someone, for you it's totally opposite.

May 11, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 33
No, never felt that way. As a matter of fact, I sometimes feel that having to settle for bad music (picture commercial radio stations driving through the middle of nowhere), or worse, not being able to listen to any music, is like time lost. This is one of the reasons I gave up TV some 25 years ago - a time suck in a life too precious to waste time.

If life is prison, then music is the yard time.
[size=xx-small]
- The Gift Of Gab (from Dream Seasons - Nia/Blackalicious)
[/size]

May 11, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 33
Not at all waste of time... What's the rush, where are you going? Eventually, we all end up in the same place in the end anyhow, so take some time, relax and enjoy music
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nicholaus, you must not be listening to good music. Once you get hooked, you can't go back.

No,you got me wrong.
biggrin.gif
I absolutely adore music,i can't live without it.If i go out,to buy some groceries,i always take my portable setup.And that is a 10 minute walk.Daily,I listen at least 5 hours to music.I just wondered if someone has a different opinion.When I sometimes think about it,music is a waste a time if you look at it like this:Music is something that just makes me feel good.I don't become a better person as I'm listening to music,I don't evolve,"grow" as a human being,I don't contribute to society...that's what i meant.

May 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 33
Man, you have issues. Music is food for the soul. Don't get it? It is OK. Please don't condemn the innocent.

May 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, you have issues. Music is food for the soul. Don't get it? It is OK. Please don't condemn the innocent.

Hm,a little harsh,don't you think?

I just meant...a forget it.I understand everything that music represents,how it can affect someone.I just mean,are we overdoing it?Listening too much... just something to think about...

May 11, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Working's a waste of time, art and love are what life is for.

Yes,I guess you're right...it depends how you look at it.

May 11, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 33
Listening to music isn't a waste of time. However you choose to fulfill your life, as long as it is something you enjoy, isn't that what life's all about?

I have many hobbies: dirtbike riding, computers, video games, watching/playing sports, listening to music, etc. Sometimes I can combine two of them, like listening to music while I tinker with my computer. Many times music helps me get through some of the stuff I need to do, such as work, homework, long drives in my car, etc. Other times I just love to sit, relax, and listen. Sometimes I even listen when I sleep.

Nobody has the right to tell me that I'm wasting my time listening to music. At least, no more than I have the right to tell them that they're wasting their time with their hobbies. If I feel that what I am doing is time well spent, is something that brings fulfillment and enjoyment into my life and makes me happy, then that time absolutely not wasted. If anybody tells you that you're wasting your time listening to music, politely suggest to them that they waste time when they play video games, or watch TV, or whatever it is they do for fun and see how they react. It's all subjective, and it's different for every person.

I can see where some people could possibly have some objection to it. As with any obsession if you slack on personal hygiene, work, exercise, etc., in order to spend more time with music, I can maybe see where they might have a bit of a point in that you might be taking it to an unhealthy level. But still, in the end, it's really up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back