Did the Skullcandy brand gain respect here?
Mar 9, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The day these headphones gain any positive respects would be the day head-fi has ended.

I'd like to see someone put Grado drivers in one of those housings. That'll be as hilarious as running a Mac with Windows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 32
my girlfriend bought some skull candy cans for i think like 60 bucks... they sound like complete crap.. i couldnt even believe she spent the money for them.. i bought her some k81's for her birthday and she couldnt believe i actually got them for cheaper

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #19 of 32
No assumption from me.

Owned smokin' buds, hate it ever since. It did reminded me the horrible day of EX51, well at least EX51 sound slightly better than it. I gave it away after a few hours of serious hearing to someone who doesn't care much about SQ (didn't ever bother selling them due to the low quality sound). SkullCandy even claims to invent the brainshaker thingy while it is obvious that Panasonic is the one selling those (RP-HT970 dated back to early~mid 90s) way before SkullCandy was formed, shame on them.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #20 of 32
my sister has the smokin buds. i've tried them, and they sound similar to EX51. and I thought sony's j-style cords were annoying, these have an inline volume control very close to the j-split and at first glance, expect to adjust that left earbud every minute. bit overpriced in canada and besides, the FX33 already occupies my low-end spectrum of headphones.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 32
From what I've seen and heard. The Skullcandy brand of headphones sells based purely off hype and fashion and ignorance.

I've listened to the crushers and the icon. The icon was absolutely horrible and they broke after my friend had them for 2 months and the crushers were comparable to my old Aiwa circumaurals with my eq completely turned bass heavy. (and my old aiwas were only 15 dollars!) Sure they sounded better than stock buds but they're nothing when I compared them to my SR-225s.

now that I'm trying to remember how they specifically sounded, I think that the definitely KSC-75s sound better too. But if I A/B'ed them now, I would go from way bass heavy to somewhat bass shy and probably conclude that the KSC-75s are too bright and biased toward the high end while the crushers are completely bloated and muddy. Of course, biased towards the high end is still a ton better than bloated and muddy.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 32
I would love to see totally objective review of few bose + Skullcandy headphones compared with lets say....sony V700s as well as some portapros to compare against
I have tried few bose headphones, and they don't sound horrible, it's just that I would rather spend my 300$ somewhere else. If they were 1/4 or 1/5th of their price, it would be good-ish option.
biggrin.gif

I have tried few skullcandys and they sounded as bad as ibuds.. so I'm not willing to go through that pain.

I would love to see a detailed review on this subject, to see what their weaknesses are and if there are some positive aspects of these cans that some people love.

I might do a full on review if I can get my hands on a pair of skullcandys
biggrin.gif
I have pursuaded most of my friends to buy entry-level koss and sennheisers when they were using ibuds.

What do u guys think?

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 32
My wife picked up smokin buds for $15, not the best sound, but certainly better than I expected them to be.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #24 of 32
I have a pair of the iPod matching Smokin' Buds (the newest version) and they sound much better than EP-630's or Senn CX300, and they were $10.

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I"m an industrial design major,, and it absolutely ashames me that a few of my classmates wear them,,,, i say wear because obviously their function is not one of sound quality, but rather one of fashion, i try to be respectful, but they absolutely sound like crap, diaretic bass and no control whatsoever, really horrible, an obvious example of form over function. i truley despise them. in fact i've become known to judge a person's design capability by headphone choice.
and skullcrappy is at the end,, next to rosebuds.

and i HAVE listened to them, while they listen to my dt's or my 325's,,,, the only response i get is "well, i think it's silly to spend that much on headphones."
while they will drop 2 grand on a silly eames chair.
my response is usually "px100" or "portapro" or "es7"
actually i have converted a few to the px's, but more than that,, and it's "silly"

Hey, if that is an Eames Lounger that's a steal!

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #26 of 32
I have some Ink'd buds and am VERY surprised with them. They're like a drier Marshmallow.

I decided to try a pair of those, and they absolutely worked the Denons I had bought at the same time....

I think the quality varies though, cause one set I have, sounds better (not by much however) than the other...but the same can be said for Mallows and KSC75's. My KSC75's sounded MUCH MUCH different than the ones mrarroyo sent me, and they were similarly modded. ALso, I have 3 pairs of Mallows and each of them sound very different from eachother...one has over a thousand hours and it sounds leagues better than my other that are near the 1K mark as well...

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #27 of 32
My gf had a pair, they definitely weren't worth the money. They've broken since, and I've convinced her to go with a pair of Panasonic phones (forgot which model), which SQ-wise either matches or slightly exceeds the EX71. Skullcandy is the bane of everything we stand for, I feel sorry for all the people showing off their Skullcandy phones, when it's no different from them waving their poop around after using the facilities. Stinky.

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's no different from them waving their poop around after using the facilities. Stinky.

Yeah, I hate it when people do that..
biggrin.gif

I kind of hope that one of my brothers or my sister picks up a pair so I can try them next time I'm home. Who knows, I might like them.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #30 of 32
Are they responsible for the Skullcrusher? If so, yea... they suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back