Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Sep 23, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #797 of 1,046
  mmm.......only a few more weeks! Sennheiser to doubters: Prepare to be shocked and awed! Go Team Senn!!! lol!

Hmm, for that price it would need to be a BHSE and the 009s with champagne, plus a week with some Russian hookers at the very least, even then I would say it is way over priced.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #800 of 1,046
  I'd like to think that it makes more sense to price ridiculously good headphones within reach of the masses. I mean more access = more profits right? But experience shows the industry disagrees, so I will maintain a minimal interest and not keep any hopes up.

I agree. Stax = real world prices and great at all price points in comparison to the Planars IMO.

Sennheiser (with is annoying marketing / statement / company orgasm thing) is fantasy land, like the original Audio Quattro was so low run and expensive nobody ever bought it except Rally pros.

To me. it is a back slapping exercise to that company, to say, hey you guys, we are the best and don't forget it coz we can make a ridiculously expensive 'flagship' model none of you idiots can afford, so Ha Ha, we are drowning in cash so we don't care. But hey, those silly folk who buy our other affordable models and believe all this hype, they will crave for a slice of the 'best headphone and amp in the world' and keep the bull going.... just to own a part of our super duper company.

Forget it I am done with this thread. I am too busy enjoying my super 'cheap' 009s and my lowly KGSShv fed by my Audio Note DAC 4.1, obviously a crap system coz it don't cost 35K obviously.

Anyway, I would not be too happy paying for a Stat amp that looks like a marble display case cum hat box thing. Still, if it was crap, I could use it as a door stop in the bathroom.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #801 of 1,046
  I agree. Stax = real world prices and great at all price points in comparison to the Planars IMO.

Sennheiser (with is annoying marketing / statement / company orgasm thing) is fantasy land, like the original Audio Quattro was so low run and expensive nobody ever bought it except Rally pros.

To me. it is a back slapping exercise to that company, to say, hey you guys, we are the best and don't forget it coz we can make a ridiculously expensive 'flagship' model none of you idiots can afford, so Ha Ha, we are drowning in cash so we don't care. But hey, those silly folk who buy our other affordable models and believe all this hype, they will crave for a slice of the 'best headphone and amp in the world' and keep the bull going.... just to own a part of our super duper company.

Forget it I am done with this thread. I am too busy enjoying my super 'cheap' 009s and my lowly KGSShv fed by my Audio Note DAC 4.1, obviously a crap system coz it don't cost 35K obviously.

Anyway, I would not be too happy paying for a Stat amp that looks like a marble display case cum hat box thing. Still, if it was crap, I could use it as a door stop in the bathroom.

If senn. does not come out with a successor to the hd800 shortly after this they are looking at head-fi mutiny. I have already been quite perturbed since the release of the hd700 and hd800 amp and amp/dac. Let us not forget they also keep raising the price of their top 2 money makers the hd650 and hd800.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #802 of 1,046

If senn. does not come out with a successor to the hd800 shortly after this they are looking at head-fi mutiny. I have already been quite perturbed since the release of the hd700 and hd800 amp and amp/dac. Let us not forget they also keep raising the price of their top 2 money makers the hd650 and hd800.

Looks like they had to pay for this massive/award-winning marketing campaign! 
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #803 of 1,046

I doubt they'll replace the HD 800 any time soon.  They'll keep it around for as long as the HD 600.  They seem to think "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and I actually agree here.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #804 of 1,046
What I'm curious about is how well will this 40kUSD system stack up against say the Abyss1266 + Cavalli Liquid Gold combo.

The latter is an 11,000 system. This New Sennheiser which may or may not cost 4 times as much better sound a he'll of a lot better than the 11k system.

Or, if not, then at that point you will be increasing sound quality by 0.0001 % (one tenth of a thousandth of 1 percent) for every extra 100$ spent if you choose to purchase the New Orpheus system instead of an Abyss system.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #805 of 1,046
What I'm curious about is how well will this 40kUSD system stack up against say the Abyss1266 + Cavalli Liquid Gold combo.

The latter is an 11,000 system. This New Sennheiser which may or may not cost 4 times as much better sound a he'll of a lot better than the 11k system.

Or, if not, then at that point you will be increasing sound quality by 0.0001 % (one tenth of a thousandth of 1 percent) for every extra 100$ spent if you choose to purchase the New Orpheus system instead of an Abyss system.

I'm sure Sennheiser didn't have a single thought about the Abyss AB-1266 when developing this "Orpheus 2."

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #806 of 1,046

Uh... you ever heard of halo products?  Those top of the line nobody ever buys but it makes everything below it seem better?  That's why companies make these products.  To elevate/demonstrate their supposed tip of their technology/innovation.  

Although I think Sennheiser has botched this big time.  The teaser thing is ridiculous, and the website is just unnecessary.  The only buzz is people criticizing the looks because there's nothing else to talk about.  And first impressions will last a while for some people.  

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #807 of 1,046
If the sound of this is good enough, few people will remember "reshaping excellence" thankfully.

If the sound is only on par with other systems, then Senn will look like someone who is trying to sell water for 100 dollars per bottle.

My guess though is that they really did find something special here but went overboard by 25k when pricing it.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #809 of 1,046

I doubt they'll replace the HD 800 any time soon.  They'll keep it around for as long as the HD 600.  They seem to think "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and I actually agree here.

The hd800 is amazing sounding out of an ohm output amp. Any other amp and it sounds average at best. That is def. something I would like to see improved. To each his own but I think allot of people have their nitpicks with the hd800.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #810 of 1,046
mmmm......bring on the new version of the HD 800 or the HD 800.2  lol! I love my HD 800 with the Stefan Endorphin cable. It is still in the top 3 as far as I'm concerned. If ever, the HD 800.2 SHOULD be more scratch-resistant. I have a couple of ones that I really hate even though I baby all my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back