Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 28, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #256 of 1,046
Subbed, this thread is growing like wildfire.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #258 of 1,046

And as I was saying above:  Does that even really matter much, since these are purely stay-at-home cans for private listening?  As far as I'm concerned, the only case in which I'd even begin to consider things like appearance/aesthetics as a factor for headphones, is the case in which I am buying headphones for portable use.  I guess some folks care about how cool they look wearing headphones even in the privacy of their own home, though?  Lol.

But, side by side, if price, functionality and performance were identical, this new design could not compete with the stunningly attractive Orpheus.

In my opinion, for my tastes, this is among the ugliest audio components I've ever seen - two cigar boxes, painted black, affixed to a marble slab - no imagination.

Not that this would stop me were I able to afford it strictly for its performance. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #259 of 1,046
Love the idea, LOVE IT!!!! But why did they have to make it look so ugly?!?!? Hopefully they'll change the chassis to be something more elegant than just another damn box. The original Orpheus was beautiful in both sight and sound. Please, if ANYONE from Sennheiser is reading this, keep the electrical design, etc yet dump the typical box offering for something far more visually stylish. We have more than enough boring boxes in the CE industry as it is. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #262 of 1,046

Hello, Wink!

So, are you excited about this new Sennheiser headphones that cost the modest sum of 16 or 17,000 Euros (+ marble amplifier, to 20,000 Euros?) ?

On HCFR we follow on with a critical eye the 40,000 consultations soon this thread Head-Fi in only 24 h (a record); the Kennerton thread on Head-Fi is much quieter (15,000 consultations over ... 1 year), but it already has the benefit of giving the link of the seven reports (testimony) about the listening to an almost unknown headphone (made in Russia at St Petersbourg), worth 8 times cheaper than the Sennheiser Orpheus II headphones (not counting the price of amplification of the Orpheus II system, probably 20,000 Euros) and who would be pretend to surpass without problem all Audeze headphones in production, and also Hifiman (HE-1000 included) while would be equaling the JPS-Abys for a much lower price. I even recently sold my 009 after purchasing the Kennerton headphone in question.

Good day to you. 
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: you missed on HCFR one of the best secret operation ever made!

Sincerely, Eric

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #263 of 1,046
so what we got here...

a new "Orpheus" 5-20k?
a new marble amp with unhuman Fr response and 8 tubes that going up when turn and going back when off- 10-30k?
a new closed flagshig- 2-5k?

hype is all on... few weeks or 2 3 months to reveal

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #264 of 1,046
The amp is really ugly. It looks like something from the Flinstones. Where's the great German industrial design? 

I really hope it's a beta version and it will be changed in production.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #265 of 1,046
Mmmm..art deco is so passe. It does not makes sense for Senn to design the new STFUTOTL by using the same design language as the original Orpheus. I reserve judgment until I see one in person (design is not just a matter of visual appeal but it is also a very tactile experience). Offhand, it looks elegant, unique, minimalist and, laugh all you want, but marble evokes luxury, class  and rock-solid footing. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #266 of 1,046
Yes it is ugly, but it is just what the target group will want. For most of us, this post-Orpheus is just a monument stating "Sennheiser makes THE headphone, and no other cheap *** company".  But it's not aimed at the common people. This is something for Arabian princes, Russian oligarchs, Chinese/American bank officials, and the Queen. For those, even a solid aluminum chassis is simply trash. Marble is what rich people want. If they could, they'd go with marmoreal hats to horse races...

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #267 of 1,046
It's the 1990s all over again. We only need Sony to bring out the R10 successor to complete the picture. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #268 of 1,046
  It's the 1990s all over again. We only need Sony to bring out the R10 successor to complete the picture. 

Yes, 100% yes. That is all I would want. I think they may have 220 year old Zelkova trees to use now......

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #270 of 1,046
  Such a cliché. Not all of us do. Sometimes we prefer gold and ivory.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Isnt that what the knobs are made of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back