Did I waste my money on these Senn HD555?
Nov 3, 2008 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

john5220

Banned
I was thinking I really like bass good bass but maby I made a bad decision by purchasing these HD555?

I really like Vocals to good highs aswell.

But I use my senns mainly for Music not movies and not really games.

Strictly music I bought it over the Grado cause the senns were like 44% off on Amazon thats 44% off the MSRP.

basically the HD555 List Price: $169.95

And Grado SR80 list price is : $80

And since I realised that hey since the Senns are so much more and I getting half price off maby its superior to the Grado SR80?

I don't have a good amp as yet so maby this is the reason its lacking? cause my Asus Xonar sucks at powering headphones with 10 foot cords. Is there ia big difference between the SR80 and the HD555?

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 12
What kind of music do you listen to?
You could use an EQ if you want a little more bass, just lower the highs but make sure none go over 0db. The SR80 and HD555 are 2 totally different headphones.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 12
He didn't say they were 170. He said that's LIST price, actual price he bought them for was 44% off of that. Durrrrr

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Amp, schmamp. You're gonna hear bass out of a bassy headphone even if you're running it out of your ipod. If the 555s don't have enough bass for you, sell them and try something else. You usually get most of your money back if you sell them. People seem very willing to pay close to what you'd pay new for used phones around here. especially if they're brand new. Sell, then upgrade.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mental_Medical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've read the HD555s need a decent amp. But you should have a decent amp anyway getting headphones like that.

Lol, no. They don't need an amp at all.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 12
No, you didn't waste your money, but you're not going to like every piece of gear you listen to. Don't get discouraged. Just sell them to someone who (hopefully) will like them and get another pair.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 12
I listen to mainly rock and pop.

A little Crunk music now and then but plenty Trance and stuff.

Yeah the MSRP of the Senns was like $169 and grado was about $80
So since I got 50% off the HD555 on Amazon I bought it considering the Grado had no discount.

I assumed if it more expensive it should make it better?

But I am getting a proper sound card soon a creative Audigy 2 ZS trading rhe Xonar for it this sunday coming. Maby the external power connector for the xonar is slack who knows cause the Xonar EQ is almost useless compare to the might of the Creative.

I could swear I plug in that power connector properly cause I did it twice since it was so slack. I have a JBL 510 can and the xonar makes it sound bassless and crappy so I know its the sound card to blame and not the headphones now. Cause before the JBL used to be punchy and kicking like hell. Now its just flat and dead with this Xonar DX.

Gonna make damn sure I give you all an update this sunday when I swap this Xonar for the Audigy 2 ZS. I am betting $1000000 that its gonna make a billion times better bass with the next sound card.

That Xonar EQ is useless even on max waaay above 0db.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to mainly rock and pop.

A little Crunk music now and then but plenty Trance and stuff.

Yeah the MSRP of the Senns was like $169 and grado was about $80
So since I got 50% off the HD555 on Amazon I bought it considering the Grado had no discount.

I assumed if it more expensive it should make it better?

But I am getting a proper sound card soon a creative Audigy 2 ZS trading rhe Xonar for it this sunday coming. Maby the external power connector for the xonar is slack who knows cause the Xonar EQ is almost useless compare to the might of the Creative.

I could swear I plug in that power connector properly cause I did it twice since it was so slack. I have a JBL 510 can and the xonar makes it sound bassless and crappy so I know its the sound card to blame and not the headphones now. Cause before the JBL used to be punchy and kicking like hell. Now its just flat and dead with this Xonar DX.

Gonna make damn sure I give you all an update this sunday when I swap this Xonar for the Audigy 2 ZS. I am betting $1000000 that its gonna make a billion times better bass with the next sound card.

That Xonar EQ is useless even on max waaay above 0db.

The EQ on the Creative distorts like crazy.

As for your headphone choice, I don't think HD555 handles trance or crunk very well. To me, the bass neither hits hard enough for crunk (although it is fairly well controlled), nor does it bloom enough for trance. It should work decently for Rock or Pop though.

My opinions were formed during a 15 minute listen with my iPod done from a pair which I "borrowed" from my friend. They had already several thousand hours of burn-in time so that should be fairly representative of their final sound signature. At that time, I owned a HD580 (and I have a HD650 now) so I may have been fairly biased towards the darkness of the HD580/650.

I've been told they don't really need an amp, although having one certainly wouldn't hurt.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Firstly,

HD555 need lot more burn in than u think...atleast 50 hours to even sound normal..

Use Pink Noise in foobar..to burn them overnight for a week.

and for bass boost checkout Fiio E3...E3 really gave a good bass boost to HD555 for trancy tracks.

try it out and let us know.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 12
The FiiO's bass boost sounds a lot better than the Clip's software EQ, so I can leave the Clip's muddy EQ turned off and enjoy some higher quality op-amp bass instead.

Even though the FiiO boosts the bass it doesn't affect the detailedness and precision of the connected source. Without exaggeration, it sounds a lot cleaner than my old PA2V2 amplifier and some CMOY amps I tried, and it's also not a lot worse than my Corda Headsix.

I love the sound of that. I also believe the Audigy 2 ZS has that same quality of bass boost. I am trading me Xonar DX this sunday for th Audigy 2 ZS as I was told Creative has the most powerful chips for running headphones out of any other sound card company.

The Xonar lacks a bass boost function that the Audigy 2 ZS has.

Mind you even though people say the HD555 was never designed for music I still believe it to be one of the greatest headphones I ever heard. It completely blows out my JBL 510 reference. So even though the HD555 aint a music headphone it does sound rather good I will admit. Very good infact vastly better than even a Logitech Z5500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back