Did I make a mistake?
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
I got the UE SuperFi 5vi to replace my damaged Shure SE110's. I am listening to them now. They sound worse, oh no.
Shouldn't the sound better?
Is this the IEMs showing the poor source (Realtek onboard)?
Do they require a burn in time?

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 19
Never owned the Shures, but I really enjoyed the UE SuperFi 5Pro when I owned them.  

In what way(s) are they worse than your Shures?  It may just be your listening preference.  "Mistakes" are some of our best learning experiences [I've learned a lot in that regard].  : )

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 19
I take that back, somehow they got better? I think it is because I was so used to the Shure's balanced sound (NO BASS :O). I like the SuperFi 5vi a lot more now. I also think they are quite revealing of the source. The cord looks fragile, that pisses me off! No matter, I paid $50 for them.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 19
Yeah, it's probably a quality hike that's exposing every imperfection in your setup.  It's too late for you now--you are now obligated to buy a $1,000 tube amp, get a high-end sound card and re-encode everything to FLAC OH NO!

Really, the exposure of aural flaws can be fairly overwhelming at first.  I just got that today with my ACS T3s--poorly-encoded and/or recorded tracks suddenly hissed and popped so much, but with that comes the amazing amount of detail given by decent earphones.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 19
But my Droid is pretty crappy as well (I thought) but it sounds better on there. Why is this?

I have 20GB of music and only about 1400 songs, FLACful enough? 
wink_face.gif

So I shall get a DAC then, right? uDAC-2 sound good?

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
I personally like the Fiio E7, its very clean and functions very well.

I would wait for the version 2 or get something else.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
It's both a USB DAC and an amp, and it has 80 hours of batter life. thats's why I personally like it. It also incorporates high quality chipsets.

Slight deviation from the topic, but I'm glad that you brought up the E7.  I've been considering getting it at some point, so I'm glad to hear your input on it. :p

Also, if one source sounds better than the other then, well, one sound source is better than the other.  Onboard audio is never that good, and the nature of Android devices means that you could be using a phone with good components.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 19
Aug 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
There are way too many post on that thread...
Anybody know how it compares to the Musiland 02? or the Fiio E7 for that matter?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/472277/best-value-for-laptop-udac-vs-fiio-e7-vs-new-headstage-cable-dac-wolfson-chip-vs-headstage-dac-stick-wolfson-dac-amp

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/fiio-e7-usb-headphone-amplifier-dac-169245.html

Keep in mind that Micca is constantly updating these things as they are shipping out, I got a much better version than I bargained for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back