Did i Just Score a AKG K240 Sextett or am but dreamin..........
Jan 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

scottiebabie

1000+ Head-Fier
hey guys i just came home from work after doing an exchange with a guy from the local CL posting a 600ohm AKG K240 for sale. i was expecting a  normal K240 600ohm Monitor  til i google'd the differences btwn AKGs different K240s. i think i scored a Sextett! metal rings around the driver cups are silver & AKG emblem on headbands also silver in color altthough there are no perforations on said headband.

they are currently wrap ma noggins sounding mitey fine. not as detailed nor as extended as the Hifiman HE5-LEs but still balanced & very musical. kinda like eating a glazed chocolate donut. below are some pics i took - sorry for the poor quality as ya i know...i been told to not quit the day job nor harbor any deletions of being a playboy photographer! LOL. 

let me know watcha thunk. did i score or did i score......?

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 2
 That's them. 
smile_phones.gif

Another detail you might want to know: look into the baffles of the drivers.  From the side where your ear goes.  You might have to use a bright light.  You'll see 6 circles there:

All orange: early production
White with orange around the outside edges: middle production
All white: late production.

You seem to have a solid headband (no holes), so my guess would be MP or LP pair.  Some people believe there is more bass with the EP's, and less with the MP's and even less with the LP's, but I've had multiple examples, and I couldn't really hear any differences, except for the magic MP pair I have with a much higher clamping force than all the others.

The Sextett is my favorite AKG.  Even more so than any of the K501, K601, or K701/K702 ... by a longshot.

I think they actually sound fairly close to the Monitors, except the Sextetts have more low end.

One more detail: you might think the pads look and feel new, but I'd recommend you pick up a new set.  You can find them around for $10-15 a pair.  Improves the bass response. 

Congrats !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back