Did I just kill my amp?
May 8, 2018 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

viivo

100+ Head-Fier
Earlier today I replaced my amp's faulty potentiometer. As a novice, I was worried something may have gone wrong and the amp wouldn't function, but thankfully it worked, and sounded better with a fully functional gain pot. So with renewed confidence I decided to replace a couple capacitors. After unplugging it, I made sure to cycle the power button a few times and manually short the caps so they were fully drained before beginning, yet during the solder removal I experienced some scarily loud sparks on a completely different part of the board, and again while putting the board back on the standoffs. Did I mention it's a tube (well, hybrid) amplifier?

Now that I have the new caps in place and everything back together I'm afraid to turn it on. I don't see any blackened components though I know that makes little difference. Is there any chance it could have survived those shorts?

May 9, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 5
If a transistor or another capacitor shorted out, the worst thing that could happen if you turn it back on, would be it won't work.

I don't think you are in any danger just plugging it back & in & turning it on.

May 9, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 5
Don’t keep all of us in suspense. How is it?

May 10, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Since it's a tube amp, you shouldn't be quickly cycling the power, it can harm the amplifier... blow out the tube rectifier if you have one.

If you know someone with a variac they can slowly bring it up to voltage and ensure it "holds smoke". If something goes wrong, it can be turned off quickly and parts replaced as necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back