Did I find a cure fror the veil?
Nov 20, 2004 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
This may be all in my head. I've been hesitatant to post because it seems so silly and obvious that if it really made a difference everyone would be talking about it already. But with so much "veil" talk recently, I just gotta know if anyone else notices a difference. Here's my "trick", please try it and let me know.
600smile.gif

Stand in front of a mirror and adjust the headband so the earcups (and therefore the speaker diaphram) are centered over the opening of your ear canal! That's it, that's the trick that made the difference for me. No solid silver cables, no $2000 amp, just a simple click of the headband.
600smile.gif

I was wearing my 600s with the headband pulled out 2 clicks on each side and the bottom of my earlobes was touching the bottom pad. Centering the speaker over my ear canal meant pulling each side out 6 clicks, about a half inch difference. I guess I have small ears, that there's so much room for adjustment in how the earcups are placed.

This helped me with my hd600s, it's so simple and obvious I can't believe no one talks about it when they talk about the Senn "veil", so maybe it's really all in my head after all.

600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Finding the sweet spot by carefully placing the earcups is such a matter of course for me that I didn't think of the possibility that other people might not be as careful in this regard. But you may be right, indeed. I for one get the best sonic result by placing them rather low, thus with quite extended headband.

peacesign.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Ahh, so the reason no one talks about this "tweak" is because it's so mind-numbingly obvious to everyone but me?
eek.gif
tongue.gif
600smile.gif

I guess I didn't think about it at first because I'm used to headphones like the Sony V6 which has such a small earcup there's really only one way to wear it comfortably.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Position can make a huge difference. OK well not huge, but significant. I like to adjust mine as far forward as possible, and angled toward my ears. I have apparently typical northern European ears, so Senns seem to fit. IMO you want to pay attention to both horizontal and vertical fit. I like my cans vertically centered with my ear canal and slightly forward. Others may prefer a different location - it can does seem to effect perceived frequency response and imaging. Ears were not designed to have headphone on them, a small change in location can have a surprising effect.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Jan Meier has had a page about this on his site for a long time. It is an important discovery though if you have not paid attention to positioning before. Maybe some more on veil later but the wife wants me to go.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Yep, we've had a couple good threads here on this too. The thing to remember is that the proper positioning of the drivers might put the headband in an odd position on your head (especially if you have an "oddly" shaped head!)
k1000smile.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Although I've seen it often said about the PX200 wrt bass response, I haven't noticed this mentioned about the Senn 580/600/650 before. (It could be that I got bored by all the Senn basher vs. fanboy threads and never read far enough.) Getting the position right makes a bigger difference than an amp upgrade did. It even makes them listenable and enjoyable from a portable CDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back