Did I cover everything for a noob?
Jul 28, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 63
yes. DACs are the things that convert digital to analog making you able to hear it. Every scource have one, but some are idd better than others.

Did you guys realise we jus ****ed this guys' wallet really bad?

Sorry the language, couldnt find a better word lol

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes. DACs are the things that convert digital to analog making you able to hear it. Every scource have one, but some are idd better than others.

LOL!! Im at work right now and i was just telling my work mate how bad this website can be with slowly shoving people into the total opposite direction. $300 will end up being double shortly!!
biggrin.gif
Its wallet murder!

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #18 of 63
and to the OP, search around for a good amp, dac then leave this site, dont read anything on audio, any thread here, dont start a thread, or rather delete your account block the website in your browser for something like 5 years. youll thank me.i bout my first good headphones a bit after christmas. Guess what, theyre being replaced.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hmmm well
what would be a good dac/amp stationary combo?

or should I buy a tube amp and the iBasso(functioning as the dac) ?

and another thing...if i go through with all this can I hook up a speakers and stuff up to it in the future? like a stereo? because it's a lot of money to just spend on headphones.....
ph34r.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!! Im at work right now and i was just telling my work mate how bad this website can be with slowly shoving people into the total opposite direction. $300 will end up being double shortly!!
biggrin.gif
Its wallet murder!

Head-Fi has actually done that to me -_-
In December '08, I was looking at the Shure SE310's. 2 months later, I bought the Sennheiser IE8.
In March '09, I was looking at some sub £100 headphones such as the Denon AH-D1001. 4 months later and I bought the Grado HF2.
[size=medium]
Thanks Head-Fi
tongue.gif
[/size]

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 63
so would this make sense to buy?

-senns hd600
-iBasso d10
-HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp

or do I only need to buy the hybrid?

or is there something better...

I was hoping to order my setup tonight so I get it before the weekend but now....once again...I AM LOST

haha chung sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could (and should) buy only the hybrid, plus the HD600 and call it a day. Cheaper than the D10 too.

I know. and it looks like it has more stuff on it than the d10

So the hybrid is a stationary amp/DAC? (with the option to upgrade the dac and some of the other components later?)

also my other question - can I hook up external speakers to this in the future?

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock n Rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so would this make sense to buy?

-senns hd600
-iBasso d10
-HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp

or do I only need to buy the hybrid?

or is there something better...

I was hoping to order my setup tonight so I get it before the weekend but now....once again...I AM LOST

haha chung sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

No that sounds stupid. buying a good portable with a decent DAc FOR A PORTABLE with a tube...no. Look into the Compass maybe.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock n Rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know. and it looks like it has more stuff on it than the d10

So the hybrid is a stationary amp/DAC? (with the option to upgrade the dac and some of the other components later?)

also my other question - can I hook up external speakers to this in the future?

No. If you want to do this, you're better off with a speaker DAC, pre amp , amp to plug your headphones into. but thats expensive^^

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #26 of 63
You can get the compass or the Zero amp/dac combo with USB which can serve as a preamp out to hook up to a more powerful speaker amp then into the speakers. Both of these are desktop units that you can transport rather easily and in the price range, you honestly can't beat them.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #27 of 63
I posted this earlier in the amp section for you.

DAC = Digital to analog converter.

It is what your devices uses to interpret the digital music, cd, mp3s, In other words, it is the device that makes music from the series of numbers that digital music is encoded at.

So....mp3 or CD (series of numbers) ----> DAC (takes series of numbers and makes it into something the headphones can use --->amp (makes that signal louder)---->headphones or speakers

So as you can see, if you really want great sound, every piece in that chain needs to be good. If you have a really good set of headphones and dac but use lousy source (cd player, mp3 player), or if it's encoded crappy, you're just gonna be ampin up the crappiness.

That is why you hear everyone here talk about what bit rate they encode at etc... Stuff that you find on like pandora is around 128 bps (or less). CD quality is the best. I typically encode all my mp3s @ ~320 - lossless.

Now understand this... every consumer source (cd player, mp3 player) already has a built in DAC and a opamp (operation amplifier) that allows you to listen to music. You're just bypassing their AMP and DAC to your headphones. Also your device needs to have a line out otherwise, you'll just be amplifying what that device has already amped.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 63
**** my life

I'm getting frustrated because I am getting overwhelmed

that's it screw the speaker idea I will get into that later on when I am out of college.

Ok so FOR now I am going to buy

-senns hd600
-ef2 hybrid (which I have NO idea where to buy..)

If i do that I can upgrade my DAC later on if I want to and it's not that expensive so when I get more money that I wasted it all on this and I won't have enough to set up a stereo system...

Does that sound good for ENTRY LEVEL audiophile person?

I'm only getting real reassurance from Amangoerge.......

I really don't want to buy from a different country... like the I have too when buying the zeros or the compasses. I don't want to buy from ebay either

I want to buy from a trusted retailer in the US....

EDIT: actually nvm I found it on amazon
atsmile.gif

Ok please confirm it:
-senns 600
-hifiman ef2

for stationary amp/dac entry level...
Will it work well?

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #29 of 63
lol....you do realize that the EF2 comes from Asia. Just like the compass and the Zero. The only reason you're getting so much for the price is because it is coming from Asia.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mplee79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol....you do realize that the EF2 comes from Asia. Just like the compass and the Zero. The only reason you're getting so much for the price is because it is coming from Asia.

yes but the ef2 is on amazon.....I trust amazon....

I will check if the zero or compass is on amazon too hold on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back