Did I buy fakes? Ebay CX300/EP-630
Aug 1, 2006 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

zragnarok

New Head-Fier
I needed some cheap earbus for my ipod and decided to go with the Creative E-630 because it seemed like a good bang for buck. Im not an audiophile, just want something with "good" SQ.

So I bought some OEM EP630 on ebay in a auction similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-Creative-E...QQcmdZViewItem

When I got them, I was surprised that the cord was the CX300 "J" style, and not the EP-630 "I" style... but even weirder is that the micro-plug is the EP-640 "I" style" and not the CX300 "L" style. So what exactly do I have in my hands here?

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 39
You already know the answer
plainface.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 39
Hmmm. I'm can't confirm whether or not you bought real or fake earbuds. However, I had a friend who bought a pair of fake CX300 on Ebay from a Chinese seller called ape-king. We knew it was fake because I have a pair of CX300 as well and there were subtle differences on the physical earbuds. When we hooked it up to listen...it was completely obvious that the ones he bought were fake. I personally don't recommend buying OEMs on Ebay, especially not from Asian countries where fake merchanise readily available to sell.

What my friend ended up doing was contacting Paypal about fake merchandise. He eventually got his money back, including the shipping cost. If you suspect you got fake earbuds...contact Paypal right away and explain the situation.

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 39
$4 and $17 shipping? I'd say yes..

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 39
So far that doesn't mean anything. There are a lot of OEM ep-630 with both J-cord and straight plug. It's probably the reason why these all ended up getting sold OEM and not directly from the brands-- the factory did a batch with part Creative and part Senn specs, and whichever placed the order (seems to be Creative, as the labeled ones were unavailable for a couple of months) refused delivery. GlorytheWiz825's story is the first report I've heard of anybody bothering to do a knockoff of these headphones, and it's become a bit of a hobby of mine to naysay the knockoff whistleblowers.

Anyway, if GtW is right, then it should be pretty easy to figure out whether you've got the real thing. HOW DO THEY SOUND? I recommend that you take a set of some old random earbuds and a pair of KSC-75 or any other respectable cheap can. If the SQ is closer to the earbuds, complain. If it's closer to the proper cans, relax and enjoy.

-Erik

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I recommend that you take a set of some old random earbuds and a pair of KSC-75 or any other respectable cheap can.

Exactly...why won't people understand these are great flippin' cans...$15 or $9.99 at Rat Shack, you can not go wrong...no shipping damage or risks to compromise the unit, and if you have a problem, take them into the store..

These phones look fake, in looking at the eBay sellers fb, and shipping charge VS item charge, I would guess fakes here...sorry.
plainface.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
I personally don't recommend buying OEMs on Ebay, especially not from Asian countries where fake merchanise readily available to sell.

Philadelphia isn't an Asian country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zragnarok
When I got them, I was surprised that the cord was the CX300 "J" style, and not the EP-630 "I" style... but even weirder is that the micro-plug is the EP-640 "I" style" and not the CX300 "L" style. So what exactly do I have in my hands here?

Sounds like the style of the Edifier H260: http://shop.w3cube.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=152

I purchased a pair from the same eBay seller after my sister mentioned she'd like a pair of white earphones that would stay in her ears better than the iBuds. Because I have the iM716, I've never listened to the "OEM EP-630" for more than a few minutes at a time. The first few times I tried them, the sound was extremely muffled. Then the high end suddenly appeared, but the bass remained boomy. Overall, the sound is decent with boomy bass, better than the EX71 and similar to descriptions of the "real" EP-630. Regardless of whether it's OEM or fake, I think you got your money's worth.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyA**Sucka
Sounds like the style of the Edifier H260: http://shop.w3cube.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=152

I purchased a pair from the same eBay seller after my sister mentioned she'd like a pair of white earphones that would stay in her ears better than the iBuds. Because I have the iM716, I've never listened to the "OEM EP-630" for more than a few minutes at a time. The first few times I tried them, the sound was extremely muffled. Then the high end suddenly appeared, but the bass remained boomy. Overall, the sound is decent with boomy bass, better than the EX71 and similar to descriptions of the "real" EP-630. Regardless of whether it's OEM or fake, I think you got your money's worth.

Thank you, MonkeyA**Sucka! I poked around following your URL, and I think we've finally got the original designer of the headphone that was licensed as the Sennheiser CX300, the Creative EP-630, the Sharp MD33, and the Edifier H260. I'll post it in a new thread, with credit to you of course.

-Erik

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 39
So is it just generally a bad idea to buy IEMs or earbuds on ebay, since they would be easier to fake and there's a risk? (I know there's still a debate on whether they actually ARE fakes)
I've been thinking of getting some CX-300s off ebay, but all the ones I see there are the same cheap price/expensive shipping kind of deal.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 39
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191919

If FacelVega and MAS are right with their idea of having a third player making the EP-630 for creative and Sennheiser CX300, i believe you got yourself a deal and we should all stop buying the "real" stuff and buy from the source for a cheap price. Anyway one of my friend just bought a pair of EP-630 from here, when he will receive them ill give them a listen and if i like the sound ill buy a cheap ebay pair to compare them and ill tell you if it's the real deal. Cause the only problem i can find with "fake" product is if the quality isn't the same.

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 39
I'm afraid I got fake ep-630's too. The auction specifically stated the headphones were original. They came in a bag labeled "creative ep-630" too. But the sound is just horrible, and they seem cheap. The sound is extremely muffled and there's hardly a high end if they're inserted properly. I have the Panasonic HJE50's and they're terrific. These ep-630's, if they're real, are terrible. I'm sad, this seller looked legit.

Take a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote from the webpage "However, it includes neither retail package nor the manufacturer's logo on the earbud"

It says no manufacturer's logo? that sounds really weird to me.

and based on the price. It does not sound too legit to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back