did apple screw the faithful?
Sep 5, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #16 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iPhone. The drop in price was drastic, but I'm less concerned with that than I am that the new iPod has only 16GB of storage capacity. I was hoping for 100, 120, or 160...

They do have a 160 now yeahhjjj
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, how do you like the iphone??

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you thinking of this as an investment?

To some degree, everything we buy is an investment of one sort of another. In this case, I feel had. They are perfectly in their rights to do this, but I find it uncomfortable as a customer. I also think that it hurts Apple, though they may disagree. Why would anybody purchase their products at a premium if there is a reasonable expectation of a quick, dramatic price cut. Would other premium brands in other areas do this? This action places Apple in the same category as Dell. Not a bad category, but not the category of premium products.

And by the way, I do like the iPhone - while not a perfect product it does some things very well. I just feel bad that I paid too much. My windows mobile phones did most of what the iPhone does. Just not a pretty.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #18 of 98
This type of thing has already been done in the past. So it's really nothing new.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #19 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This type of thing has already been done in the past. So it's really nothing new.

By Apple? I was not aware. I was aware of this practice by other, commodity computer companies.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 98
early adopters generally screw themselves, no one is forcing them to buy, i dont mean that too derogatorily, as count myself in that crowd too, well maybe a bit less nowadays, but its the way of the world. they wouldnt price them so high if people didnt bite

consumer demand, to quote mr weller, "the public gets what the public wants"

if everyone was outraged at the initial bloated prices that go hand in hand with this kind of technology being talked about, and voted with their feet and didnt buy - then those prices wouldnt be so high in the first place

but in this materialistic consumer driven have to have the latest gadget at any cost society, the last laugh will always be with companies like apple.

i maintain that is why i live in rip off britain, cause we (britons) as a people are far too tolerant and meak and mild with our own rights, compared to other nations.

dont get me wrong i am not having a go at you, and i. i love all these gadgets just like the next man, i am having a go at the synical ethos of overpriced technology that they know we will lap up!!

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would other premium brands in other areas do this?

My response was geared towards the above. FWIW I've never considered Apple better than other companies like Dell, Intel, IBM, etc... Afterall, they are a company and their bottom line is to maximize profit. But no I haven't really tracked Apple's pricing trends over the years.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #22 of 98
This is one of those common psychological phenomena that has never made any sense to me. Apparently, anyone who purchased the iPhone prior to the price reduction felt that it was worth what Apple was charging. It's not as though the iPhone was food, or shelter, or some other necessity. So, I don't really understand how someone else getting it for less later could hurt someone who already purchased it for what they felt was a fair price.

I find this particularly confusing in regards to this comment:
Quote:

Even if you did not purchase an iPhone, I would encourage everybody to think twice before dropping a substantial sum on one of their products - unless it has already seen one or two price drops. Across the line, there are less expensive, perfectly workable alternatives. And this is somebody who is typing this on a Macbook. Not that they don't make good products, but part of the price premium value is the relatively stable price structure of their products. Apparently no more.

How does a price drop increase the number of less expensive, workable alternatives? If anything, it should decrease the number, as some alternatives that were previously less expensive no longer are.
Or, if I'm misunderstanding, what value do you get by paying a premium in order to ensure that others won't get it for less later?

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #23 of 98
Really, they dropped the price $200 today? It only came out two months ago. I stood in line to look at them, but balked at the price in the end. Glad I did! But to "the faithful" who bought them -- and they were die-hard Apple fans standing in line with me, excited and thrilled -- yes, I think they got screwed.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #24 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh.... It's called technology....

yes, homie, we're not that dense; but $200, that's a very large drop this early, unusually large

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #25 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although he makes mad coin writing code and being in the closet

His personal life notwithstanding...

/okay, that's how I read it...

Thank God none of our beloved headphones or amps go down in price...
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 98
8gb and 16gb; LOL, i think apple is starting to fall off the cutting edge of consumer brilliance, they're SONY-ing themselves into arrogance and overvaluing themselves

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #27 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would anybody purchase their products at a premium if there is a reasonable expectation of a quick, dramatic price cut

i think the truth is that most folks don't do near enough research on products to care about the company's history of pricecutting; we geeks can easily start to think that everyone actually cares about all the details we care about, when they don't, and they're mostly just oblivious to it all

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #28 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one of those common psychological phenomena that has never made any sense to me. Apparently, anyone who purchased the iPhone prior to the price reduction felt that it was worth what Apple was charging. It's not as though the iPhone was food, or shelter, or some other necessity. So, I don't really understand how someone else getting it for less later could hurt someone who already purchased it for what they felt was a fair price

it's rather simple: if they had waited, they could be spending that $200 on a nice lap dance
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #29 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His personal life notwithstanding...

/okay, that's how I read it...

Thank God none of our beloved headphones or amps go down in price...
wink.gif

Being a dev pays well. I'm not so sure about being in denial.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #30 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's rather simple: if they had waited, they could be spending that $200 on a nice lap dance
wink.gif

Sure... I'm just not sure how that's Apple's fault. Do they have some kind of perceived obligation not to lower the price in order to make sure people who bought high don't feel bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back