did apple screw the faithful?
Sep 5, 2007 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Headphoneus Supremus
200 off iphone? that is harsh.....

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 98
Early adopters generally get screwed in regards to personal electronics.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 98
$200 = the price of fleeting geek cred.

/my nerd ex-brother-in-law got one the first day, although he makes mad coin writing code and being in the closet

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 98
That is a huge drop in price. This is why it never pays to adopt the first generation of gadgets. :/

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 98
Sigh.... It's called technology. If you buy it brand-new, it will be worth less as soon as you take it out of the package. Shortly thereafter there will be a pricedrop. If you want to think you're the awesomest because you spent lots of money on the latest gadget, good for you! Just don't come crying when it costs less a little while later.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 98
Nope. I don't feel sorry for people who waited for hours for a phone, knowing full well sooner or later there would be a price drop. It's just a phone.

Ed

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 98
haha sucks for people who got theirs just a few days ago

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha sucks for people who got theirs just a few days ago

Apple has a 14 day return policy, so that's an option for some people.

The new pricing makes sense. For someone considering buying the 8GB iPod Touch, paying $100 more and getting a phone as part of the deal is an appealing upsell.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 98
It is true that the price of technology does go down. but this is a dramatic price drop in a very short period of time. Part of the reason I purchased the iPhone is that Apple did not have a history of devaluing their product so swiftly. This action changes my expectation and I no longer see a benefit of paying a price premium compared to their competitors.

Even if you did not purchase an iPhone, I would encourage everybody to think twice before dropping a substantial sum on one of their products - unless it has already seen one or two price drops. Across the line, there are less expensive, perfectly workable alternatives. And this is somebody who is typing this on a Macbook. Not that they don't make good products, but part of the price premium value is the relatively stable price structure of their products. Apparently no more.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is true that the price of technology does go down. but this is a dramatic price drop in a very short period of time. Part of the reason I purchased the iPhone is that Apple did not have a history of devaluing their product so swiftly. This action changes my expectation and I no longer see a benefit of paying a price premium compared to their competitors.

Even if you did not purchase an iPhone, I would encourage everybody to think twice before dropping a substantial sum on one of their products - unless it has already seen one or two price drops. Across the line, there are less expensive, perfectly workable alternatives. And this is somebody who is typing this on a Macbook. Not that they don't make good products, but part of the price premium value is the relatively stable price structure of their products. Apparently no more.

Were you thinking of this as an investment?

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 98
I have an iPhone. The drop in price was drastic, I'm surprised but it happens. I'm not feeling screwed with regard to the iPhone, but I'm very disappointed with new iPod. Only 16GB of storage capacity! I was hoping for 100, 120, or 160...

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 98
To those who were the early adopters, the answer is going to be yes. However, in general, that's just how it goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back