Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #6,871 of 7,358
the ported pads add bass subtly I would be afraid your method will be too extreme but perhaps not

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #6,874 of 7,358
I thought it was subtle when compared without, but I'm still waiting to try different music.

I'll probably try ported pads at some point though.
If your gap is around 1.5mm, it is very close to the porte pads.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #6,875 of 7,358
I also would like to add something to this question about EQ - has anyone checked how well MR accepts EQ? I was considering a boost of the low end for movie watching. Any experience in that matter?
I use the ifi zen dac v2. Very good pairing and if u need more bass u have just to klick the true bass knob and it sounds perfectly enjoyable

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #6,877 of 7,358
Can anyone compare the Diana MR and HE1000SE (or any HE1k)? I like that the "story" behind the headphones is a blend of audiophile with audio engineer, coming from pro audio myself.

Diana MR is darker, thicker meat on the bone, stronger attack notes, more intimate and narrower soundstage. Not typical dark like Audeze, but definitely darker than most of Hifiman headphones.

HE1000SE is a bit more mellow, softer notes, with brighter, airier and more spacious presentation. I think both of them complement each other well.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #6,878 of 7,358
Diana MR is darker, thicker meat on the bone, stronger attack notes, more intimate and narrower soundstage. Not typical dark like Audeze, but definitely darker than most of Hifiman headphones.

HE1000SE is a bit more mellow, softer notes, with brighter, airier and more spacious presentation. I think both of them complement each other well.

Thank you for that comparison! I have not heard any Abyss headphones and based what I was reading, I would've had the wrong idea on sound signature.

Well great to hear they complement each other, my wallet is not gonna be happy :joy:

Could you describe how they each handle bass? I listen to a lot of modern music.

Thanks again

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #6,879 of 7,358
Thank you for that comparison! I have not heard any Abyss headphones and based what I was reading, I would've had the wrong idea on sound signature.

Well great to hear they complement each other, my wallet is not gonna be happy :joy:

Could you describe how they each handle bass? I listen to a lot of modern music.

Thanks again

I can hear more texture with HE1000SE, for instrument like Double Bass and Bass Guitar. However Diana MR punch more lively for bass drum. You can "fine tuning" Diana's bass to even thicker by controlling the fit on your head, or by use bass ported earpad by Abyss.

Modern music, I assume, means a lot of bass drum. Diana MR will provide more "kick".

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #6,880 of 7,358
I can hear more texture with HE1000SE, for instrument like Double Bass and Bass Guitar. However Diana MR punch more lively for bass drum. You can "fine tuning" Diana's bass to even thicker by controlling the fit on your head, or by use bass ported earpad by Abyss.

Modern music, I assume, means a lot of bass drum. Diana MR will provide more "kick".

Sweet, I love the bass response and clarity on the HEkse, the texture and information on the notes. Sorry I should've clarified I meant more along the lines of sub-bass frequencies - 808s, bass synths.

So on dynamics the Diana MR is probably more lively in that regard? That would be very welcomed, I find myself EQing the Hifimans a lot to add in some punch for recreational listening.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #6,881 of 7,358

Hey I have a Focal Utopia 2020 and a HE1000 Stealth. I prefer the utopia because it sounds more personal and immediate, where like you said the he1000 is very light and almost inconsequential sounding. I'm getting the impression that the MR might be a planar utopia. I've heard it's the most dynamic planar and could possibly improve on maybe the utopias one weak spot which is subbass extension. Would you agree? I ordered a more powerful amp (still a dongle) in order to give the he1000 more presence, and I guess just make it louder and fuller.

Hopefully the new amp will help my he1000 stealth sound better to me, but given it has similar sensitivity and impedance as the MR, maybe getting the MR wouldn't be much of a solution, or maybe I should keep a headphone that's different from the utopia, instead of getting a planar utopia.

What do you think?

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #6,882 of 7,358
Hey I have a Focal Utopia 2020 and a HE1000 Stealth. I prefer the utopia because it sounds more personal and immediate, where like you said the he1000 is very light and almost inconsequential sounding. I'm getting the impression that the MR might be a planar utopia. I've heard it's the most dynamic planar and could possibly improve on maybe the utopias one weak spot which is subbass extension. Would you agree? I ordered a more powerful amp (still a dongle) in order to give the he1000 more presence, and I guess just make it louder and fuller.

Hopefully the new amp will help my he1000 stealth sound better to me, but given it has similar sensitivity and impedance as the MR, maybe getting the MR wouldn't be much of a solution, or maybe I should keep a headphone that's different from the utopia, instead of getting a planar utopia.

What do you think?

Out of curiosity, do you EQ? And what amp/dongle are you currently using?

Having owned the HE1000 stealth, it benefits greatly with EQ (I probably wouldn't own them if I didn't use EQ) and also scales very well the higher you go in amp/dac pairings.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #6,883 of 7,358
Out of curiosity, do you EQ? And what amp/dongle are you currently using?

Having owned the HE1000 stealth, it benefits greatly with EQ (I probably wouldn't own them if I didn't use EQ) and also scales very well the higher you go in amp/dac pairings.
The dongle I was using is the THX Onyx. But I'm getting an E1DA today. I don't EQ because I don't want things to complicated. The same reason I don't buy a desktop amp. Keep it simple and portable. I don't think the frequency response is the problem. Neither headphone sounds bad to me, it's just their technical differences of sounding more intimate vs open. I think the he1000 also has a very flat bass response, there's no roll off like the utopia, so maybe the sub bass extension of the MR isn't all that different. Trying a more powerful amp seemed like a cheaper solution that a new headphone.

If I got the MR I'd probably feel like selling one of the other two, and prolly not the utopia since it's so easy to drive it works well on my game consoles.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #6,885 of 7,358
Nice. I'm about to travel & work for a few months around the world and my plan is to take with me the MR with xd05 pro. I compared this combo against quite a few popular portable chains and I am quite happy with what it's capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back