Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 5, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #6,843 of 7,358
I'm considering selling my ported leather and ported vegan pads.
Would prefer to sell as a package.

Still trying to decide, but I think I like the plain vegans.
Yeah, I could live without the ported as well. It's not like its a must or anything. I only had the leather non ported and leather ported, and I wanted to try the suede so I figured I'd try the ported as well. I got a deal on a unopened ported suede so I went with it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #6,844 of 7,358
I am wondering what do you prefer about the non bass ported ones? I feel like there are no downsides on having them installed (at least from a Rock / Metal perspective.) But I am still pretty new to the Diana TC - so maybe I am missing something.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #6,845 of 7,358
I am wondering what do you prefer about the non bass ported ones? I feel like there are no downsides on having them installed (at least from a Rock / Metal perspective.) But I am still pretty new to the Diana TC - so maybe I am missing something.
I think this is referring to the MR.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #6,846 of 7,358
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #6,847 of 7,358
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #6,849 of 7,358
I have trust in Abyss myself though, I have been a customer for 3.5 years and they have offered and shipped me free solutions to problems I had. Always been nice dealing with their support and after sales.
Thanks for this! ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png

Should also note that Diana MR has seen significant internal changes to the headband and frame assemblies. The headband changes have also been integrated into current production Diana TC, making them lighter and more flexible.

We covered some of this in a video, thousands of new details are baked-into this new MR model...

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #6,850 of 7,358
Thanks for this! ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png

Should also note that Diana MR has seen significant internal changes to the headband and frame assemblies. The headband changes have also been integrated into current production Diana TC, making them lighter and more flexible.

We covered some of this in a video, thousands of new details are baked-into this new MR model...

Why can't you add 5-10 mm of foam to the headband to solve the problem of ease of use?

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #6,851 of 7,358
I personally find my MR to be the one of the most comfy headphones I have ever used as is. I didnt even bother with the provided pads. Then again we all have different head size and shape. Thats the rationale I guess for the provided stick on foam pads. Maybe ABYSS should provide an additional pads that are thicker and more padded for those who are having discomfort?

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #6,852 of 7,358
The whole design philosophy of Diana is about a thin profile high performance headphone.

For the last 2 years or so, brand new Diana headphones have an ~3 mm foam layer built into the stock headband, with a wide notch top center to avoid hot spots some people experience due to the shape of their head. Combined with all the other undeclared design changes that have occurred, current brand new headphone 'stock' fitment is well optimized for a majority of people worldwide. Where confusion sets in is the used market, difficult to compare fitment, even the current Diana TC model has many headband and frame variations out there that have culminated to what is now current production. We've been continuously tweaking fitment in response to feedback and observation.

The additional adhesive headband pad included in the box with new Diana headphones adds about 6 mm of a softer memory foam specifically designed to comply to YOUR head shape over time (as will brand new ear pads to the sides of your head). The pillow top on the ear pads help to minimize break-in time while the foams soften and shape to you as they are worn.

We engineered this adhesive pad specifically for Diana with the help of Dekoni, it's custom made for Abyss, has our name on it to prove it. If you find after many hours of break-in wearing a new headphone, taking the time to move the headphone around for best comfort... If something isn't doing it for you, the adhesive pad is an easy addition that solves a majority of these issues. Keep in mind Diana has more of a unique fitment than other headphones, the typical 'gimbal' is hidden, built into the headband that twists and flexes. It may take time to understand how to adjust it on your head to maximize comfort. Don't treat it like some rigid structure that can only sit one way, experiment.

If you purchase a used headphone, used ear pads tend to suck, they may never fit you right as they already wore into the last owners head shape. It's a good idea to replace them. This sets up the best case scenario for comfort.

As a side, foam pads tend to not be as good at distributing weight as a sling style headband, but sling headbands are quite bulky. Weight becomes a contributing factor and with Diana being relatively light it balances this out with the overall design. It's one of the reasons Eric has been working hard to reduce weight wherever possible on Diana MR. As weight decreases, pressure points fade away. Also, Diana's have minimal clamp force and our planar drivers respond well to a lack of seal, so for eyeglass wearers using the Vegan ear pads would be pretty comfy listen, no need for the port:).

Then there's the aftermarket, cables, headband pads and ear pads, you name it. We think it's great that people make each headphone their own, in our experienced opinion it's the proper path to take to truly optimize the headphone and system for YOU. We see too many people rocking through headphones without taking the time to own and understand them. High-end audio and the headphone hobby in general doesn't work this way, it's not a race or a quick fix (although it could be:)). Best advice we can give here is to have patience, never assume, always second guess, and spend the time to experiment to find what works for you. It's an educational process for sure, one that will ultimately reward you. If you're having difficulty making something work, don't give up, contact your dealer, or the manufacturer. We're here to help.

We also have ABYSS headphone set-up videos on our YouTube channel, as well as a ton of content about headphones and systems.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #6,853 of 7,358
Do folks have any opinions / experience on whether the Diana MRs can be properly powered by the Astell&Kern Kann Ultra? Am thinking about picking up that DAP, but would love any confirmation that it will be able to drive the MRs to their full potential. (I don’t have space / desire to use full-size desktop components)

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #6,854 of 7,358
Do folks have any opinions / experience on whether the Diana MRs can be properly powered by the Astell&Kern Kann Ultra? Am thinking about picking up that DAP, but would love any confirmation that it will be able to drive the MRs to their full potential. (I don’t have space / desire to use full-size desktop components)
I use MR with Sony WM-1Z, so you should have no issue getting adequate sound out of the Kann Ultra. Of course it can be pushed harder, but it still sounds fantastic out of lesser powered devices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back