Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 24, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #6,783 of 7,354
I have converted my regular pads to ported pads by inserting a 5x2mm rubber o-ring on each of the four posts that holds the pads. It’s a good experiment and loved the bass and sub bass.

Very interesting. Do the o-rings at all diminish the strength of the magnetic hold between the pads and the headphone?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #6,784 of 7,354
I heard HE1000 stealth with MR briefly in a store. It is pretty far behind MR in resolution and I didn't care to compare other stuff. I have a 2018 utopia but I'll need to get back to you on comparison.
I spend a few minutes today with MR and Utopia 2018 on Nautilus.

1. MR is significantly harder to drive than Utopia. For Utopia, I can get fairly loud listening vol at 2-3 clock on knob, for MR, I had to go to 5 clock. At least on the knob, that's like 20% diff.
2. Utopia quite a bit more detailed and sharper than MR.
3. MR is significantly thicker and warmer than Utopia.
4. MR's bass is a little fuzzier in shape, don't hit quite as hard as Utopia, but it's a bit cleaner. Utopia's bass bleeds into higher frequencies more.
5. Vocals I found MR more enjoyable - not quite as intricate or textured as Utopia but less sibilant and very sweet

Overall I found MR a lot easier on ears than Utopia. If you don't have crazy resolution headphones like Utopia, you'll be happy with MR. But if you do and you care to A/B, you'll find MR disappointing in critical listenings. However, there's something magical about MR's toning that makes it hella enjoyable, that is, if you are not sitting down and trying to pick up all the details and just want to relax and have fun.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #6,785 of 7,354
Would someone with the bass ported pads be so nice and measure the width & height of the "air" channel? I am trying to design a 3d print adapter for the regular pads. Already have a working first revision but i want to get the dimensions right.

1703453345178.png

My take:

DSCF1405 (Benutzerdefiniert).JPG

DSCF1404 (Benutzerdefiniert).JPG

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #6,787 of 7,354
I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy a pair of the ported vegan pads for my MR.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #6,790 of 7,354
Are there any measurements of the Diana with the ported pad options?

It looks like my take on the ported pads deviates from the norm. After about three weeks auditioning the leather, the ported pads actually sound like they attenuate the very lowest frequency. There seems to be an increase starting at maybe 40-50Hz, but the extreme sub bass extension heard with original leather pad is gone. This can be tested with Guttenbergs Headphone demo "Heartbeat" track where the 20Hz is more pronounced with the original pads. In addition, the air increases masking micro detail and doing something to the midrange. I need to turn the volume up a notch to try and experience the details I would with original pads, increasing the bass even more, in turn hiding the details yet again in an endless cycle until I'm nearly deaf. Just my take. I went back to the original but it's good to have the option either way.

Can someone explain this "ported" effect and why it occurs? Is it by design?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #6,791 of 7,354
Are there any measurements of the Diana with the ported pad options?

It looks like my take on the ported pads deviates from the norm. After about three weeks auditioning the vegan leather, the ported pads actually sound like they attenuate the very lowest frequency. There seems to be an increase starting at maybe 40-50Hz, but the extreme sub bass extension heard with original leather pad is gone. This can be tested with Guttenbergs Headphone demo "Heartbeat" track where the 20Hz is more pronounced with the original pads. In addition, the air increases masking micro detail and doing something to the midrange. I need to turn the volume up a notch to try and experience the details I would with original pads, increasing the bass even more, in turn hiding the details yet again in an endless cycle until I'm nearly deaf. Just my take. I went back to the original but it's good to have the option either way.

Can someone explain this "ported" effect and why it occurs? Is it by design?
Agreed.
I wish they would publish FR of all pads on MR.

I'm curious if I should stick with my vegans, or try the ported, or swap to leather.

One thing that's holding me back from using the Diana more is headband comfort.
The custom leather wrap I got helps a ton, though.

Still not as comfortable as my Susvara or Empyrean II, though.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #6,792 of 7,354
After being in this hobby for 10-15 years I have learned not to create an unnecessary "Paradox of Choice" for myself when it comes to very small changes in my chain. After reading a lot of reviews prior to purchase, I decided to go with the Vegan Seude pads because they seemed like the best middle ground between the ultra-detailed leather pads and a slightly bass-forward ported pad. I have been listening to the MR in that configuration for over a week (a couple of hours a day) and I am thrilled with them as is. I know that if I go down the rabbit hole of switching ear pads, it will only serve to diminish my enjoyment of the overall experience. Just my 2 cents...

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #6,793 of 7,354
Hello guys!
i’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on the mr which may be the one for me but still considering the caldera or the empyrean 2; what would be your take on the best set of the three for metal music like power, symphonic metal?

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #6,794 of 7,354
Hello guys!
i’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on the mr which may be the one for me but still considering the caldera or the empyrean 2; what would be your take on the best set of the three for metal music like power, symphonic metal?
I think Caldera. Empy 2 and Elite are too "polite" for metal, I just heard them recently... I don't know the MR, though.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #6,795 of 7,354
Hello guys!
All I can say is that Metal sounds delightful on the MR. I too felt the Elite was too polite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back