Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #6,766 of 7,354
I had the opportunity to test MR against multiple portable sources. From dongles like m15, ru7, qls mub 1, to xd05 bal, to xd05pro. MR sounds pretty nice on dongles, but significantly better with more power. When you are out and about, you probably won't hear those nuances. If you are listening at desks, then investing in a beefier solution is worthwhile.
Agreed.
I run my Diana MR off of speaker amps.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #6,767 of 7,354
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #6,768 of 7,354
I haven't tried on power amps, but I did try MR on WA33 and Nautilus. It was pretty good on WA33. But stunning, and I mean really stunning, on Nautilus.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #6,769 of 7,354
I had the opportunity to test MR against multiple portable sources. From dongles like m15, ru7, qls mub 1, to xd05 bal, to xd05pro. MR sounds pretty nice on dongles, but significantly better with more power. When you are out and about, you probably won't hear those nuances. If you are listening at desks, then investing in a beefier solution is worthwhile.
I'm not willing to invest in a bigger device. I already have a 2020 utopia and he1000 stealth which run well on dongles so maybe I don't even need another headphone, especially one that would require a more complicated system. Have you heard those headphones and think the mr would anything superior to the mix? I feel like I'm already covered but maybe the mr would be a combination of the two.

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #6,770 of 7,354
it is fairly easy to drive but it’s harder than something like the D8KP.

I’ve been using the MR on the DNA Stellaris and I find it very enjoyable. Glad the pairing is working out.

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #6,771 of 7,354
I'm not willing to invest in a bigger device. I already have a 2020 utopia and he1000 stealth which run well on dongles so maybe I don't even need another headphone, especially one that would require a more complicated system. Have you heard those headphones and think the mr would anything superior to the mix? I feel like I'm already covered but maybe the mr would be a combination of the two.
I heard HE1000 stealth with MR briefly in a store. It is pretty far behind MR in resolution and I didn't care to compare other stuff. I have a 2018 utopia but I'll need to get back to you on comparison.

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #6,772 of 7,354
First, a dongle will be able to power the MR. Adequately enough. Will it sound the best? No. I have a Questyle M15 dongle and with iphone 14 pro max i find it has enough power, though you will need high gain. Using Sony WM1AM2 at high gain provided even better performance. Still you will find you will need to max out the volume. I had the HE1K Stealth and I agree its easier to drive vs the MR. I never owned a Utopia so can not answer that. I did have the Clear MG and that is easy to drive too. Now, to my ear? I find the MR way superior to the Stealth or the Clear MG. The MR has more warmth, better tonality, better detail retrieval and overall a much more fun signature. The MR bass is also way better. The thing about the MR is that like many high end headphones, it scales up beautifully. I also own a Susvara. I find myself reaching out to the MR more. And MR, paired with tube amps? Audio nirvana imho

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #6,773 of 7,354
I am finding the power requirements of the MR to be interesting so far...it is capable of being driven by lower power gear, but the headphone seems to love more power, which means, the more power I feed it, the better and better it sounds. It scales really well...so while it is capable of being driven by a lower-power dongle, you are certainly not getting anywhere near the full MR experience IMO

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #6,774 of 7,354
I am finding the power requirements of the MR to be interesting so far...it is capable of being driven by lower power gear, but the headphone seems to love more power, which means, the more power I feed it, the better and better it sounds. It scales really well...so while it is capable of being driven by a lower-power dongle, you are certainly not getting anywhere near the full MR experience IMO
Yep. I can run this thing off of a bunch of my gear.
The Diana MR absolutely benefits from endless headroom and low distortion.
This thing might end up very close to my Susvara. I wasn't expecting this. Figured it would be on the chopping block.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #6,775 of 7,354
Yep. I can run this thing off of a bunch of my gear.
The Diana MR absolutely benefits from endless headroom and low distortion.
This thing might end up very close to my Susvara. I wasn't expecting this. Figured it would be on the chopping block.
Tell me about it. As a Susvara owner I concur

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #6,777 of 7,354
Anyone owning MR have heard the Composer? Will be intered in both since they are open back and easy to drive headphones.
I've been considering trying to pick one up, but I figure that it might be too similar to Susvara, from what I've read.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #6,778 of 7,354
I have converted my regular pads to ported pads by inserting a 5x2mm rubber o-ring on each of the four posts that holds the pads. It’s a good experiment and loved the bass and sub bass.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2473.jpeg
    IMG_2473.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2467.jpeg
    IMG_2467.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #6,779 of 7,354
I have converted my regular pads to ported pads by inserting a 5x2mm rubber o-ring on each of the four posts that holds the pads. It’s a good experiment and loved the bass and sub bass.
I might have to give this a shot.
Is the deepest sub-bass rolled off with this approach?
I'm assuming yes, as that tends to happen with these sorts of port mods.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #6,780 of 7,354
The bass and sub bass are elevated, the deepest sub bass didn’t roll off to me, having a 2mm gap on all posts gives more airy and great notes separation on high, and sweeter midrange. If you are going to give it a shoot, please do provide what you find as I am still on the audio learning curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back