Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 17, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #6,736 of 7,354
Both sound fine for Diana MR. Ferrum is more versatile though, deliver bigger power in case you need for harder to drive headphones, and you can upgrade the overall SQ with Hypsos. Broadway has its own advantage as you can use it with battery only (paired with DAP can become great transportable set up).
I will be listening with Diana TC

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #6,742 of 7,354
They’ll definitely compliment each other.

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #6,743 of 7,354
There's a chance that my Diana MR is arriving tomorrow.
Excited to give it a shot.

Should have an Empyrean 2 in the next week or two most likely, as well.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #6,746 of 7,354
I've had a few of the Diana releases and MR is definitely my favorite. I can sacrifice a bit of treble energy for the other benefits of the MR. Its a great companion to the 1266 TC and also sounds great with certain portables, particularly the N30LE which has ample power.
How’s the bass on the MR driven by the N30LE? Does it get close to the 1266 bass at all?

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #6,747 of 7,354
I have had DiPhi for approaching 4 years now and didn’t really gel with them until I got the new revised pads which made them a lot more comfortable as well as warming them up a bit and taking the hard edge off them. Funnily enough, I really like them with my AK380 with attaching power amp - it‘s quite a relaxing sound, relatively detailed yet also quite warm and full sounding. Just right for me as a very portable solution anyway. I noticed earlier when taking the case off the AK380 that they are visually a very good match as well.

A910BAAA-B788-41D4-8A97-DE680871F2C0.jpeg

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #6,748 of 7,354
I have had DiPhi for approaching 4 years now and didn’t really gel with them until I got the new revised pads which made them a lot more comfortable as well as warming them up a bit and taking the hard edge off them. Funnily enough, I really like them with my AK380 with attaching power amp - it‘s quite a relaxing sound, relatively detailed yet also quite warm and full sounding. Just right for me as a very portable solution anyway. I noticed earlier when taking the case off the AK380 that they are visually a very good match as well.

A910BAAA-B788-41D4-8A97-DE680871F2C0.jpeg

This is similar to my experience with the Diana/Phi/TC and also the 1266 to a degree. They benefit from a slightly warm source. I really like the bass ported pads on the Diana, and the vegan ported pads even more. They still have good air in the highs but even things out a bit.

The 1266 TC is a whole different animal when it comes to soundstage and bass impact and texture. At first, I thought it was because the mids are slightly pulled back leading to an emphasize on bass, but no, with the right fit the 1266 bass is like a tightly tuned subwoofer. I prefer their staging and imaging against anything else I've tried including the HD800. The tone might not be for everyone but I love the overall effect.

@swedishpat The Diana MR has excellent bass but still not like the 1266, which has more texture, extends even lower, and is more visceral. With a well-matched amp and a great source, the 1266 is like a 2.1 speaker system on my head.
That said, the MR bass even from the N30LE is solid. Of course the Diana form factor is much more convenient vs the 1266 and more comfortable for long listening sessions. I especially like it with the Dekoni nuggets or the little pad Abyss sells. That helps with the fit, and with the fit dialed in, you'll get great punchy lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back