Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 8, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #6,706 of 7,372
That recessed high mids is actually perfect for people with sensitive ears. It's also makes you listen to music a bit louder than other headphones. A default for some, an awesome feature for others (like me)

I can live with the recessed high mid, it’s their 7k peak that murdered me but then I seem to be more sensitive to that peaks in that area than other people.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #6,707 of 7,372
Listened to the MR (leather bass ported pads), Utopia 22, and D8KP LE off the Mj3 today. I personally don’t think this is the best amp for the Utopia but still waiting on my tube amp atm so it’ll do.
MR is the warmest of the bunch. It has more bass bloom than the others but I would say the D8KP has more detail in the bass. MR can still hit hard in the bass too tho and I’m not saying it’s muddy, it’s just thicker in the bass at times.
Utopia hits hard in the bass and goes decently low for a dynamic but it’s obviously not going as low as the planars. It does have good texture throughout the bass. I think the Utopia and D8KP just nudge out the MR in clarity overall throughout the FR. I think they both do a better job of layering and separation but the MR is still enjoyable.This isn’t bashing the MR, I like it and it’s staying, but just giving some impressions. Utopia and D8KP pull out a tad bit more details as well. The MR is that chill headphone you reach for. Not saying the D8KP or Utopia are too analytical but the MR is smoother and its warmth helps. Utopia and D8KP have more air. Both have a bigger stage than the MR but this doesn’t bother me. Timbre is solid on all of them. I don’t have any complaints.
They all three can live in a collection.
MR is a nice change up to these and it’s really good off the mojo2 and it’ll be my main, mobile, around the house headphone when I don’t want to be at my main chain. And I also think it’s a great headphone to use while working and you want a smooth, enjoyable, but still engaging headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #6,708 of 7,372
Listened to the MR (leather bass ported pads), Utopia 22, and D8KP LE off the Mj3 today. I personally don’t think this is the best amp for the Utopia but still waiting on my tube amp atm so it’ll do.
MR is the warmest of the bunch. It has more bass bloom than the others but I would say the D8KP has more detail in the bass. MR can still hit hard in the bass too tho and I’m not saying it’s muddy, it’s just thicker in the bass at times.
Utopia hits hard in the bass and goes decently low for a dynamic but it’s obviously not going as low as the planars. It does have good texture throughout the bass. I think the Utopia and D8KP just nudge out the MR in clarity overall throughout the FR. I think they both do a better job of layering and separation but the MR is still enjoyable.This isn’t bashing the MR, I like it and it’s staying, but just giving some impressions. Utopia and D8KP pull out a tad bit more details as well. The MR is that chill headphone you reach for. Not saying the D8KP or Utopia are too analytical but the MR is smoother and its warmth helps. Utopia and D8KP have more air. Both have a bigger stage than the MR but this doesn’t bother me. Timbre is solid on all of them. I don’t have any complaints.
They all three can live in a collection.
MR is a nice change up to these and it’s really good off the mojo2 and it’ll be my main, mobile, around the house headphone when I don’t want to be at my main chain. And I also think it’s a great headphone to use while working and you want a smooth, enjoyable, but still engaging headphone.
Love how you described and compared and differientated all three. Gives me an idea how the Utopia and D8K pro are as compared. In many ways I feel the same for the MR as compared to the Susvara. The Sus is a superior headphone in detail, layering, soundstage, and other metrics to my ear. But this is not saying the MR is inferior. It is much warmer than the Sus, and more so coz I prefer tubes with it. But it provides so much fun. I actually find myself using it more especially for many hours of straight listening. Definitely keeping both. They complement each other well.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #6,709 of 7,372
Love how you described and compared and differientated all three. Gives me an idea how the Utopia and D8K pro are as compared. In many ways I feel the same for the MR as compared to the Susvara. The Sus is a superior headphone in detail, layering, soundstage, and other metrics to my ear. But this is not saying the MR is inferior. It is much warmer than the Sus, and more so coz I prefer tubes with it. But it provides so much fun. I actually find myself using it more especially for many hours of straight listening. Definitely keeping both. They complement each other well.
Thanks and definitely agree. It’s so enjoyable. Once my tube amp comes in I’ll get an idea of how the MR pairs with it. Hopefully it’s good, it’ll be a plus.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #6,710 of 7,372
Thanks and definitely agree. It’s so enjoyable. Once my tube amp comes in I’ll get an idea of how the MR pairs with it. Hopefully it’s good, it’ll be a plus.
What tube amp are u getting? Oh if we have similar preferences you will love it. I am listening to Diana Krall rn. MR with vegan bass ported pads. Woo Audio Wa7 Fireflies Gen 3 with Mullard NOS tubes. So lush and intimate and seductive

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #6,711 of 7,372
I’m waiting on the DNA Stellaris.
Hopefully it’ll pair. Time will tell.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #6,713 of 7,372
How did you feel the synergy was between MR and MJ3? Thank you!
It’s good IMO. I think it does better off the MJ3 than the V2.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #6,715 of 7,372
It’s good IMO. I think it does better off the MJ3 than the V2.
This is interesting to hear - was looking to upgrade my Lyr 3 potentially to the MJ3... for my Diana V2s

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #6,718 of 7,372
I picked up a like new pair of diana TC with a ported pad from a great seller here and I must say as one who owns and loves the 1266 TC I am shocked as to how good these things are...so comfortable and easy to wear and use and transport and with the ported pads damn close to the 1266 in most ways...I owned the earlier diana versions but never bought the TC version...glad I did,highly recommended...using them with my CFA3 makes them an explosive listen

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #6,719 of 7,372
ZMF crescent strap + Abyss ported pads just perfected the setup for me. :)
How do you attach the crescent strap? Asking for a friend. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back