Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #6,695 of 7,571
much wider?
I wouldn’t say much wider. But that also depends on what you consider much wider. It’s not HD800S big. It’s not Utopia 22 big either IMO. It’s a noticeable improvement but I also think the layering and separation helps this perception. I don’t feel it’s too congested at all and this is someone who loves the HD800S stage.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #6,697 of 7,571
Does anyone have Diana MR vs. Utopia 2022 comparisons?

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #6,698 of 7,571
Listened to MR again yesterday with different setup, my impression didn't change from last time i hear it. It is a nice improvement from V2 especially on soundstage department ( V2 soundstage was too intimate for me )

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #6,700 of 7,571
I have both and when I get time I’ll do a comparison. Haven’t used the Utopia 22 in a bit since getting a feel for the MR.

Yes the MR has better sub bass but the MR is a planar and it should.
The Utopia is going to have better dynamics and I think faster. The bass on the Utopia isn’t bad at all. Especially if you have a proper chain (OG or 22).
The timbre on the Utopia is solid IMO too. Again, I’ll have to do a A/B on the timbre but I never had any complaints with it. The clarity is very good off the Utopia and if I had to guess from memory I’d say it probably edges out the MR.
And if you pay $5k for the Utopia 22, you’re dumb and deserve to pay $5k.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #6,701 of 7,571
I will say, they’re different enough to own both. I enjoy both but if I had to pick one and I could match it with a proper chain/synergy. Im going Utopia 22. I love mine off DNA amps. They’re also really nice off Eddie current and I even enjoyed it off the feliks envy.

The real comparison for me will be the MR vs the D8KP LE. That’ll be interesting. I think the D8KP LE may edge it out but I still will love the MR. Such a great mobile headphone and pairs so well with the mojo2. I may pick up a woo mini to have a change up.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #6,702 of 7,571
Different folks have different opinions. Went back and forth for a week, and I came away preferring the signature of the MR hands down. Others will choose the Utopia. Gotta listen to both and see what you like better. I'm also part of the bass ported and vegan pads group with the MR

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #6,703 of 7,571
I will say, they’re different enough to own both. I enjoy both but if I had to pick one and I could match it with a proper chain/synergy. Im going Utopia 22. I love mine off DNA amps. They’re also really nice off Eddie current and I even enjoyed it off the feliks envy.

The real comparison for me will be the MR vs the D8KP LE. That’ll be interesting. I think the D8KP LE may edge it out but I still will love the MR. Such a great mobile headphone and pairs so well with the mojo2. I may pick up a woo mini to have a change up.
I find this to be very interesting. I currently own Susvara and the MR. Been eyeing the FA D8KPLE as my next headphone. Was able to demo it while back on an EF600 and came back impressed. But its been some time now. If what you are saying is true, that it sounds very comparable to the MR, then you prolly just saved me a bundle. Thank you. As for the Utopia, never did get the chance to demo it so cant say anything. But I am very partial to planars. Its been some time now since I owned a DD. The last being the Clear MG. Was never really a fan. Theres just something with planars for me that sounds better. Admittedly the MG or my other DD I owned are not TOTL so kinda unfair to compare to my planars

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #6,704 of 7,571
I find this to be very interesting. I currently own Susvara and the MR. Been eyeing the FA D8KPLE as my next headphone. Was able to demo it while back on an EF600 and came back impressed. But its been some time now. If what you are saying is true, that it sounds very comparable to the MR, then you prolly just saved me a bundle. Thank you. As for the Utopia, never did get the chance to demo it so cant say anything. But I am very partial to planars. Its been some time now since I owned a DD. The last being the Clear MG. Was never really a fan. Theres just something with planars for me that sounds better. Admittedly the MG or my other DD I owned are not TOTL so kinda unfair to compare to my planars

I think so long you can ignore the sucked out mid of the D8K Pro series then technically they're really good.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #6,705 of 7,571
I think so long you can ignore the sucked out mid of the D8K Pro series then technically they're really good.
That recessed high mids is actually perfect for people with sensitive ears. It's also makes you listen to music a bit louder than other headphones. A default for some, an awesome feature for others (like me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back