Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 28, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #6,316 of 7,356
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #6,318 of 7,356
I dont think I am covered with warranty as Ive bought mine second hand
It's not about the warranty, they will give you advices to repair what is damaged

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #6,320 of 7,356
Jul 30, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #6,321 of 7,356
I was watching YouTube yesterday and happened to see this review. This guy definitely strays from the norm when it comes to doing reviews. I’m not not referring to him to not liking the Diana V2. I’m referring to that it’s almost like he has a personal crusade against the Abyss headphones.

I know a couple professional reviewer’s and I asked them once how come when I read reviews I never really see someone write a bad review about a component? The response was that if someone sends me a component to review, and after listening to it, I don’t think it’s very good, I’ll just send it back and don’t do the review.

I think the next headphone review that he will do that he doesn’t like will be the next new headphone Abyss releases.

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #6,322 of 7,356
His opinions tend to go against the usual grains.
Can't say I agree with his ears on most things, but some of his thoughts are pretty valid.

Jul 30, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #6,323 of 7,356
I mean... He's got a point with the headband. I was watching it while using my set and when he mentioned the fit issues I just laughed. I had to Frankenstein mine to get better comfort. I get that some people don't have major issues but if most people have issues well...

IMG_2864.jpg

Jul 30, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #6,324 of 7,356
Not to say he doesn't make good points in both his Diana and 1266 reviews.
He does and I absolutely agree with some of his thoughts.

That being said, the headphones he does like, for the reasons he states he likes them, are a bit suspicious to me.

Hard for me to continue buying into some of the hype. First he hyped the Susvara... then he hyped the Meze Elite... now it's the Caldera.
Seems kind of like Zeos. Fun to watch because they like most products and can see the beauty in them. Still strangely critical towards Abyss products.
Not that I'm a huge Abyss proponent either, their business decisions and marketing are somewhat daunting, as a product owner.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #6,325 of 7,356
I know a couple professional reviewer’s and I asked them once how come when I read reviews I never really see someone write a bad review about a component? The response was that if someone sends me a component to review, and after listening to it, I don’t think it’s very good, I’ll just send it back and don’t do the review.

I have also heard this was a fairly standard practice once upon a time. In this brave new world of self-publishing on Head-Fi, YouTube, and other platforms I think reviewing models and expectations for reviewers and reviewing are changing. IMO a reviewer choosing to publish reviews on only those products they like is not particularly helpful. Sure, we end up with a list of products that particular reviewer likes, but what about the piles of other gear out there they haven't said anything about? No one person can meaningfully audition the entire world of hi-fi. If a reviewer is going to operate this way, I think they should at least publish lists of gear they have had in for review. In a world where brick-and-mortar hi-fi shops are disappearing and the volume of different products available is exploding, that's at least SOME amount of info to help those who are trying to decide what to do with their hard-earned money. While negative reviews can hurt manufacturers in the short term and sting the consumers who bought and like those negatively reviewed products, in the long run the entire hobby benefits from this honesty and constructive criticism.

This guy definitely strays from the norm when it comes to doing reviews.

I disagree that Lachlan strays from the norms in the reviewing community. The review-sphere is shifting toward a model where everything gets published love-it-or-hate-it. Lachlan does that. Currawong, GoldenSound, Headphone Show, DMS, Z...the list goes on...all publish negative reviews when they deem them warranted. I have as well. So I don't think it's fair to say that he's out of the current norm.

I’m referring to that it’s almost like he has a personal crusade against the Abyss headphones.
I think the next headphone review that he will do that he doesn’t like will be the next new headphone Abyss releases.

I've gotten to know Lachlan reasonably well and what you describe is just NOT the way he rolls. For one, he has negative reviews out for a variety of products beyond Abyss. They are not hard to find. Secondly, both on his channel and privately he works really hard to be as objective and level-headed in his evaluations as one can be in a subjective hobby. He gives every new product as fair a shake as he possibly can. Honestly the vast majority of we reviewers do because 1) ultimately we're all audio nerds chasing sonic excellence like you and everyone who reads this forum, and 2) it is actually not at all fun and quite stressful to publicly come out and say essentially 'yeah a bunch of smart people worked really hard for really long on this thing and they didn't do a good job'. There is strong motivation to give positive reviews for many reasons beyond that too. Lachlan's view of Abyss is organic and he came by it honestly. You don't have to agree, but accusing him of being on a crusade is unwarranted.

I don't defend Lachlan because I always agree with him, either. I happen to largely agree with his takes on Abyss. But, I think he's WAY too generous to the Meze Elite and several ZMFs, just to name a few. So, this is not about solidarity with a given opinion, but about the integrity of the process of what we do.

Thanks for reading and I hope these comments help someone.

Enjoy the music! :beerchug:

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #6,326 of 7,356
I have also heard this was a fairly standard practice once upon a time. In this brave new world of self-publishing on Head-Fi, YouTube, and other platforms I think reviewing models and expectations for reviewers and reviewing are changing. IMO a reviewer choosing to publish reviews on only those products they like is not particularly helpful. Sure, we end up with a list of products that particular reviewer likes, but what about the piles of other gear out there they haven't said anything about? No one person can meaningfully audition the entire world of hi-fi. If a reviewer is going to operate this way, I think they should at least publish lists of gear they have had in for review. In a world where brick-and-mortar hi-fi shops are disappearing and the volume of different products available is exploding, that's at least SOME amount of info to help those who are trying to decide what to do with their hard-earned money. While negative reviews can hurt manufacturers in the short term and sting the consumers who bought and like those negatively reviewed products, in the long run the entire hobby benefits from this honesty and constructive criticism.

I disagree that Lachlan strays from the norms in the reviewing community. The review-sphere is shifting toward a model where everything gets published love-it-or-hate-it. Lachlan does that. Currawong, GoldenSound, Headphone Show, DMS, Z...the list goes on...all publish negative reviews when they deem them warranted. I have as well. So I don't think it's fair to say that he's out of the current norm.

I've gotten to know Lachlan reasonably well and what you describe is just NOT the way he rolls. For one, he has negative reviews out for a variety of products beyond Abyss. They are not hard to find. Secondly, both on his channel and privately he works really hard to be as objective and level-headed in his evaluations as one can be in a subjective hobby. He gives every new product as fair a shake as he possibly can. Honestly the vast majority of we reviewers do because 1) ultimately we're all audio nerds chasing sonic excellence like you and everyone who reads this forum, and 2) it is actually not at all fun and quite stressful to publicly come out and say essentially 'yeah a bunch of smart people worked really hard for really long on this thing and they didn't do a good job'. There is strong motivation to give positive reviews for many reasons beyond that too. Lachlan's view of Abyss is organic and he came by it honestly. You don't have to agree, but accusing him of being on a crusade is unwarranted.

I don't defend Lachlan because I always agree with him, either. I happen to largely agree with his takes on Abyss. But, I think he's WAY too generous to the Meze Elite and several ZMFs, just to name a few. So, this is not about solidarity with a given opinion, but about the integrity of the process of what we do.

Thanks for reading and I hope these comments help someone.

Enjoy the music! :beerchug:

We also need to understand each reviewers individual preference, likes, dislikes and dont care for. All audio related stuff are subjective and we each have preferences and dislikes.
What tracks they use to judge is also important.
some examples from my findings
-Resolve dont care much about soundstage SIZE.
-Lachlans likes lower mids/midbass and warmer sound
-Wavetheorys dislike for shoutiness and 1k bump and loves his soundstage
-DMS likes his bass
-amir likes harman

and so on....

1 thing i would like more reviewer to do is, please listen and give feedback BEFORE looking at any FR graphs or measurements. And do another post graph feedback. Im guilty of this as the FR makes me have a certain bias if it looks bad. :k701smile:

so find a reviewer that have similar preference as you, and the rest treat it as entertainment. But dishonest reviewer or those that just review what they like brings no value because you know they just like everything.

If not, well everyone will have the same headphone, dac, amps to suit budget and call it a day.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #6,327 of 7,356
Not to say he doesn't make good points in both his Diana and 1266 reviews.
He does and I absolutely agree with some of his thoughts.

That being said, the headphones he does like, for the reasons he states he likes them, are a bit suspicious to me.

Hard for me to continue buying into some of the hype. First he hyped the Susvara... then he hyped the Meze Elite... now it's the Caldera.
Seems kind of like Zeos. Fun to watch because they like most products and can see the beauty in them. Still strangely critical towards Abyss products.
Not that I'm a huge Abyss proponent either, their business decisions and marketing are somewhat daunting, as a product owner.

Nothing "suspicious" liking Susvara, Elite and Caldera, all of them are my favourite headphones as well (after have good time with most of other TOTLs).

Diana TC s actually perform superb too, especially with bass ported earpad. I have zero problem with fitting too. It's just I need to limit the amount of headphone I own, and I like Elite/Caldera slightly more.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #6,328 of 7,356
Nothing "suspicious" liking Susvara, Elite and Caldera, all of them are my favourite headphones as well (after have good time with most of other TOTLs).

Diana TC s actually perform superb too, especially with bass ported earpad. I have zero problem with fitting too. It's just I need to limit the amount of headphone I own, and I like Elite/Caldera slightly more.
The meaning of my post was not that he was wrong to have liked those headphones.
I like those headphones, too.

The problem I have is that he's moving on to whatever is sent to him next, over and over again, and giving the next model slightly more colorful remarks.
It's a hype game. I used to fall into the same loop.

At this point in the game, there are no winners or losers. Everything has pros and cons.
Different flavored TOTL headphones for lots of listener types.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #6,329 of 7,356
I'm going to get roasted here by some of you but here goes.....

THIS IS SUCH A SUBJECTIVE HOBBY (and I love it!!!!!!)

I'm the "Andrew" in Passion For Sound's YT review that sent my new Dianas over to him and asked that he review them. I bought them unheard after lots of amazing reviews (ConvinceMeAudio, Josh Valour and a host of others), and recommendations from owners. At that stage I had Sendy Peacocks which I loved (and still do). They're great all-rounders but get muddy with too much speed metal. V2s seemed to be the answer.

I'm not going to defend Lachlan, suffice to say that getting to know him over the last 9 months as one of his Patreon members, I can say he is one one VERY clever and knowledgeable bloke for all things audio and very generous with his time. He definitely will let you know when he doesn't like a product but he has a way of doing it diplomatically. He's no Zeos, but then Zeos is NO Lachlan!! You could ask him any audio/electrical question and he'd be able to answer (or he'd get the answer for you).

I completey disagree that he "strays from the norm" in regards to reviewing - he presents his case in a well thought out manner and is very detailed in his reviews.
@WaveTheory I'm glad you guys a have a good relationship - I watch a hell of a lot of your reviews too and love your technical side too. I can see why you'd be similar to Lachlan.

Back to the roasting.

I wasn't sure about the few hrs I had with the Dianas before sending off. I loved the clarity, instrument separation and they could handle speed metal with ease. I disagree with Lachlan on comfort (subjectively) - I thought the Dianas were the comfiest HPs I have ever owned, and so light!. I did need to add the extra support band to make them that way though. Lachlan's point was that for $3500 USD, it should be already like that. Long story short, while Lachlan had them, I was fortunate enough to get Hifiman HE1000 Stealths. Once again, Lachlan preferred the SE model over the Stealths. I didn't. I liked the extra treble energy of the Stealths despite hating sibilance (they are in no way sibilant like the Aryas I tried earlier).
I was able to AB the Dianas and the HEK Stealths when I got them back. At this stage, Lachlan had only told me of his first impressions, and that he really liked them (I hadn't seen his review yet). I listened and listened and listened and I kept coming back to preferring the HEKs. The Dianas have a lot going for them. They are clear, look amazing (the Hifimans look crap and boring in comparison, and crap they are BIG!!!!) , are comfortable, have good bass and treble, but at the end of the day, they just weren't for me. I then got another msg to say the early release review was coming and to be prepared. Haha. He didn't hate them and on certain tracks they shined, but on others, they sounded unnatural. I do agree with this. They certainly have a lot going for them and they look amazing, especially in coffee!!! I also agree Abyss the organisation are arrogant and hard to deal with. I asked a question about the bass port pads ever going on special ($430 AUD) and i was rudely told that that WAS a special and they were not going to be further discounted......... I also asked them to resend my invoice and got no response at all.............
Not a nice company to deal with. I then put them up for sale. I was fortunate enough to end up swapping them for a Sparkos Aries amp which I love (big improvement over my old Topping A30 and my 2nd hand Cayin IHA-6. The other guy is also rapt with his Dianas!!!!

A crap-ton of rambling but I guess I just wanted to say this is so subjective and fun..........oh and a little bit of defense for Lachlan too.
Thanks for reading.

Jul 31, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #6,330 of 7,356
Look, I'm not saying he's a poor reviewer.
I'm subscribed to him for a reason. His perspective is something that I find intriguing a lot of the time.

Frankly, I enjoy most of the same headphones that he does.

I also agree with the above post, in that I haven't really had any positive interactions with Abyss.
Everything has a price tag...

This all being said:
I stand by the worry of there being a hair of hype training sometimes.
To be fair, this is most everyone; reviewer or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back