Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 25, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #3,616 of 7,358
He was talking about resonances happening in the headphone due to specific materials being used. There is no concept of resonance outside the context of an actual tuning target and the subsequent measurements.
There is a 'concept of resonance' when I hear it (and when measured). Does that count? Or are ears disqualified?

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #3,617 of 7,358
There is a 'concept of resonance' when I hear it (and when measured). Does that count? Or are ears disqualified?
Subjective listening is still important for finding tonal issues because measurements are not fully readable above 8K (which probably explains detail differences between headphones that aren't visible on any graph).

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #3,618 of 7,358
Subjective listening is still important for finding tonal issues because measurements are not fully readable above 8K (which probably explains detail differences between headphones that aren't visible on any graph).
Subjective listening is still important for enjoying music which is the point of the exercise in the first place. All this malarkey takes all the fun out of that. It's like taking a walk in the woods on a beautiful day and measuring all the trees.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #3,619 of 7,358
Subjective listening is still important for enjoying music which is the point of the exercise in the first place. All this malarkey takes all the fun out of that. It's like taking a walk in the woods on a beautiful day and measuring all the trees.

I liked a comment here on Head-Fi that’s similar to what you mentioned, I forgot who it was from though:

”I use Gear to listen to Music, I don’t use Music to listen to Gear”.

Don‘t forget about enjoying your music guys, that’s the most important fact. Rock on!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,620 of 7,358
Can we get back to the diana v2 topic.
I suggest you continue on a dedicated thread?
I am soon going to receive the burson soloist 3xp, i wonder where it would go on the tier amp list Abyss made :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,621 of 7,358
I cannot possible understand Abyss bashing. It makes no sense and makes me think that those doing it have never listened to them. I could understand someone complaining that they are expensive... sure I get that... but performance wise and build quality they are second to none.

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #3,622 of 7,358
Most of them can’t owe such expensive headphones and they enjoy bashing at expensive gear, classic one. Let them enjoy the 9$ headphone and us the diana v2. Everybody happy :) Anyway am not even sure they listen to music at all...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3,623 of 7,358
Most of them can’t owe such expensive headphones and they enjoy bashing at expensive gear, classic one. Let them enjoy the 9$ headphone and us the diana v2. Everybody happy :) Anyway am not even sure they listen to music at all...
Are they seriously thinking a $9 headphone is going to outperform TOTL ones..? I can see someone making a legitimate comparison between headphones slightly under $1000 and headphones at $3000-5000. Believing a $9 headphone can match a $3000 headphone is like believing a $50 DAC can perform like Chord TT2...

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #3,624 of 7,358
Are they seriously thinking a $9 headphone is going to outperform TOTL ones..? I can see someone making a legitimate comparison between headphones slightly under $1000 and headphones at $3000-5000. Believing a $9 headphone can match a $3000 headphone is like believing a $50 DAC can perform like Chord TT2...

I'm selling my $3K Diana and buying 333 of the Sonys...that's a lifetime of the hi-fi-est listening.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,627 of 7,358
I like the V2, the build quality is amazing. However, for 2800 dollars more I do not find the sound that much "better" than my HD6xx.

All those audiophile "peasants" that cant afford a 3k headphone just dont know what they're missing......riiiiight.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3,628 of 7,358
Not all people own the top of the price range headphones but many claim they have 'heard' every one, so therefore they are an authority on all of them. IMHO it takes weeks, sometimes months to know if you are fully satisfied and comfortable with a piece of audio equipment.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,629 of 7,358
I like the V2, the build quality is amazing. However, for 2700 dollars more I do not find it that much "better" than my HD6xx.

All those audiophile "peasants" that cant afford a 3k headphone just dont know what they're missing......riiiiight.

I agree with this sentiment. Price has been shown to be a very poor indicator of performance in the headphone world.

But I also very much doubt that a $9 Sony headphone sounds better than the Diana V2 :D

I guess it is within the realm of possibility but I doubt it haha

Now how long does it take Headfi HQ to simply compare distortion measurements between the Diana V2 and a couple of other expensive planar headphones? That would be very interesting from an audio engineering point of view.

For example if it is found that an LCD4 has much lower distortion and is much less finicky and much more consistent when it comes to positioning on the head and getting a consistent FR then I would say that clearly the LCD4 seems to be the better engineered headphone. Of course the sound quality aspect is more subjective and I leave that to individual listeners to decide for themselves.

Come on Headfi! This stuff is interesting. Please use that fancy rig for something other than product launches!

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #3,630 of 7,358
I like the V2, the build quality is amazing. However, for 2800 dollars more I do not find the sound that much "better" than my HD6xx.

The HD600 and Diana V2 are the only open-back cans I own. The HD600 is effing amazing for the price. But the Diana is obviously better. Is it $2700 better? That depends on the individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back