Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #3,586 of 7,358
nah bro wait till you can afford an actual end game, dianas are broken compared to these , the distortion is so high in comparison even though ive never heard them! dont tell the wife how much you had to pay for these :wink:
1611373492613.png

A living (and solid) proof that measurements have no direct correlation with sound quality perceived by human ears. We should thanks ASR for this.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,587 of 7,358
Jan 23, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,588 of 7,358
I don’t really feel comfortable when i read this honestly. Tyll left a tremendous work we still talk about. He is retired and he won’t/can’t answer back about what you say, it is by principle very unfair at least, and i really think you should think twice before writing, from the first post to this one. You are not serving well yourself, and i presume you don’t really care. I love abyss products, but this is not right by any means.
i didn’t care about asr, but i do care about how Abyss owner reacts, and i am very disappointed.
oh please, tyll kicked up a hornets nest with his review of the lcd-4 and at the end of his time wrote several highly questionable reviews...if you cannot point out differences with reviewers then for crying out loud what is the point of this forum?....lighten up already people

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #3,589 of 7,358
oh please, tyll kicked up a hornets nest with his review of the lcd-4 and at the end of his time wrote several highly questionable reviews...if you cannot point out differences with reviewers then for crying out loud what is the point of this forum?....lighten up already people
That's because his LCD-4 was a dud. Audeze has a big problem with unit variation and tuning headphones in general. Yeah, they do have an interesting sound but I think certain refinements would be welcome.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #3,590 of 7,358

The problem is the insinuation in the original post from the owner of Abyss that Tyll‘s retirement was due to finding house issues that impacted his measurements:

At some point in the future he mentioned that he found many of his cable connections were intermittent, his home was introducing crap into the measurements, etc. Next thing you know, he retired.”

I’d like to see evidence of such a significant accusation, as Tyll isn't around to defend himself. Feels both convenient and untoward to pull that statement out now.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,591 of 7,358
That's because his LCD-4 was a dud. Audeze has a big problem with unit variation and tuning headphones in general. Yeah, they do have an interesting sound but I think certain refinements would be welcome.
Once I had a b-stock LCD-i4. It sounded fine by IMO not up to the hype people have expressed towards it. Now I think I understand why lol. Could be that mine is a somewhat defective unit or at least a below-average unit.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #3,592 of 7,358
I tend to agree with you, we watch/read reviews and then we make our own opinion, hopefully !
But as said bfreedma, Tyl’s not around to say otherwise, so anyway let’s move to the next topic, i didn’t want to create a debate, i just pointed something, am done.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,593 of 7,358
Tyll‘s retirement was due to finding house issues that impacted his measurements

Um no. You're making things up now. What was stated is that there were perhaps some issues. And then he retired.

Meaning there was never a resolution to the (real or not) issues because Tyll was no longer in the business.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,594 of 7,358
Um no. You're making things up now. What was stated is that there were perhaps some issues. And then he retired.

Meaning there was never a resolution to the (real or not) issues because Tyll was no longer in the business.

The way you edited my post down when you quoted it to a phrase that completely misrepresents the intent is utterly dishonest. Either quote my entire posts to retain context or don’t bother to respond.

here is the entire content that should have been quoted - text in italics were written by the owner of Abyss

“The problem is the insinuation in the original post from the owner of Abyss that Tyll‘s retirement was due to finding house issues that impacted his measurements:

At some point in the future he mentioned that he found many of his cable connections were intermittent, his home was introducing crap into the measurements, etc. Next thing you know, he retired.”

I’d like to see evidence of such a significant accusation, as Tyll isn't around to defend himself. Feels both convenient and untoward to pull that statement out now.”

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,595 of 7,358
I tend to agree with you, we watch/read reviews and then we make our own opinion, hopefully !
But as said bfreedma, Tyl’s not around to say otherwise, so anyway let’s move to the next topic, i didn’t want to create a debate, i just pointed something, am done.
my comment is not meant as an attack on tyll whose reviews I read over the years...only the immediate reactions here to criticism of tyll's methods etc....if we cannot be critical of the people who review these products then what is the point of the forum?...I see nothing wrong with a manufacturer pointing out what he sees as faulty methodology...stereophile provides an area at the back of its issues for manufacturers to respond to reviews of their products and many times the rebuttals get plenty aggressive...nothing wrong with that

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #3,596 of 7,358
The way you edited my post down when you quoted it to a phrase that completely misrepresents the intent is utterly dishonest. Either quote my entire posts to retain context or don’t bother to respond.

here is the entire content that should have been quoted - text in italics were written by the owner of Abyss

“The problem is the insinuation in the original post from the owner of Abyss that Tyll‘s retirement was due to finding house issues that impacted his measurements:

I’d like to see evidence of such a significant accusation, as Tyll isn't around to defend himself. Feels both convenient and untoward to pull that statement out now.”

Um ok then here you go, the entire post. Now show me exactly who (and where) said that Tyll retired because of anything. "Next thing you know, he retired" is a statement of fact. Nothing shows a connection between that and anything else.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #3,597 of 7,358
I love those yellow drivers :relaxed:

B07BD011-1342-49B7-86EC-6712A02DDE9C.jpeg

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #3,598 of 7,358
my comment is not meant as an attack on tyll whose reviews I read over the years...only the immediate reactions here to criticism of tyll's methods etc....if we cannot be critical of the people who review these products then what is the point of the forum?...I see nothing wrong with a manufacturer pointing out what he sees as faulty methodology...stereophile provides an area at the back of its issues for manufacturers to respond to reviews of their products and many times the rebuttals get plenty aggressive...nothing wrong with that
You should read this thread on reddit.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #3,599 of 7,358
Once I had a b-stock LCD-i4. It sounded fine by IMO not up to the hype people have expressed towards it. Now I think I understand why lol. Could be that mine is a somewhat defective unit or at least a below-average unit.
It's mainly their full size over-ears that suffer from unit variation and apparently it has something to do with the pads (they kept making changes to them). The in-ears are tuned weird presumably because that was the best they could do and that's why they have the cipher cable that applies an EQ to fix the tonality issues. I'm guessing people have reviewed it with the cable.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #3,600 of 7,358
Harman research proved that they do but audiophiles will always choose faith over science.
Oh please. How about we listen to what we enjoy listening to? I've heard "perfectly flat" and "distortion-free" gear that sounded like absolute boring s--t. I've tasted salt free and fat free casseroles that tasted like s--t. Some of the most musical and wonderful sounding tube amplification measures like s--t.

I realize this is probably a pandemic-induced boredom thread continuation, but I could not believe the 20+ pages of garbage I tried to wade thru only to end up where I started 20+ years ago.

- different people like different sounds
- different sounds measure different ways
- different equipment measures different sounds in different ways
- different methods of measuring measures different sounds in different ways

And there's hundreds of posts trying to find a right and wrong here?

1611505045455.png

My take on the Diana? I really liked it. I liked how I just heard the driver and no resonating housing/headbands joining in. I didn't care about how it might have measured. I adapted to the sound of the driver (easy to do) and enjoyed music through it. I'd like to hear the 1266 some day.

There are many here who appear to not like this headphone, perhaps have not owned it or listened to it, or have owned/listened and didn't like it. To them this should be history, a moot topic. Yet they are arguing ad nauseum about it's measurements and bad mouthing at every opportunity. Seems kind of pointless and a waste of time. Grab some headphones you love and enjoy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back